South America Tour

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 29, 2011
      Hey Radical Rooters,

      I'm leaving (have mostly left) my post at Xtracycle. I've enjoyed the ebbs and flows and am very excited for the company's continued growth and look forward to staying active on the road with updates, photos, etc.

      I wanted to get any/some advice on long distance touring gear. We're starting in Ecuador (Guayaquil) and trekking north to a permaculture farm to work for about a month (repeating this flow through Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay... flying to Columbia and finishing in Panama).

      The bikes:

      Me: 22" Surly Big Dummy (2009), SnapDeck, new FreeLoader bags, KickBack

      Wife: 52cm Surly Long Haul Trucker (2011), Surly Nice Front/Rear Racks, Ortlieb bags

      Things still in question are:

      tires — wife has Continental City Contacts that came standard, but I'm worried they might not be robust enough for the low grade roads Latin America is known for. Thinking about the Continental Travel Contacts for their robust sidewall protection. I'm swapping out my Hookworms and building up new hoops. Currently I have a pair of unopened Schwalbe Supremes 26" x 2" but there's very little nobbiness to speak of on the edges and researching touring blogs everyone seems to have some sort of edge knobbies (and are usually on busted, rural roads).

      camelback vs h2o bottles — have both, know that having nothing on the back is great, but instant water access also rules.

      dyno front hub — I have a Son dyno front hub that I could lace up with the new rims, but am I just asking for trouble trying to bring a water sensitive component along?

      Most everything else is figured out, sure there's more, but any help is greatly appreciated.

      Cheers and ride on!

      Rick
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 34 of 34 , May 10, 2011
        Yep, that's been my latest and hopefully last solution: a 'mag'
        flashlight with the new LED 'bulb' and a rechargable battery. It has
        all metal housing, rubber gaskets, and three light settings: BRIGHT!!,
        not so bright, and blink. It's supposed to last about 4 hours. The
        problem is the housing that attaches it to the bike is still on the
        privative side--needs a quick release. This thing really turns night
        into day! It has to be as annoying for oncoming traffic as those
        stinking halogen car headlights.

        CL