Re: [rootsradicals] ideas for fun bike events?

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2011
      The local Bike Party crew recently did a Bike Party for Kids that was a hit.

      ashley@... is the organizer and she could help you out with some Q/A/ideas.

      Cheers!

      Rick

      On Apr 19, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Elaine Nelson wrote:

      I'm working on an event for our neighborhood association, some sort of
      fun biking thing to go with our annual picnic in early August. We want
      something not terribly strenuous, probably kid-oriented. Picnic
      location: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=16074322448134318310

      I've got a few links about Bicycle Rodeos & Kiddical Mass, plus
      Portland's Sunday Parkways, but I'm definitely interested in getting
      more ideas during the planning phase.

      Are there any bike events (NOT big group rides) you've participated in
      or read about that you think were fun/successful?

      Thanks in advance. :)

      Elaine Nelson
      http://card.elainenelson.org/

    • Philip Diaz

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2011
          Locally there is a large Earth Day celebration which includes a recycled bikes sale by the local Kiwanis and a bike parts swap. Normally it is also the largest local bicycle gathering of the year.

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick <rick@...> wrote:

          > The local Bike Party crew recently did a Bike Party for Kids that was a hit.
          >
          > ashley@... is the organizer and she could help you out with some Q/A/ideas.
          >
          > Cheers!
          >
          > Rick
          >
          > On Apr 19, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Elaine Nelson wrote:
          >
          > > I'm working on an event for our neighborhood association, some sort of
          > > fun biking thing to go with our annual picnic in early August. We want
          > > something not terribly strenuous, probably kid-oriented. Picnic
          > > location: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=16074322448134318310
          > >
          > > I've got a few links about Bicycle Rodeos & Kiddical Mass, plus
          > > Portland's Sunday Parkways, but I'm definitely interested in getting
          > > more ideas during the planning phase.
          > >
          > > Are there any bike events (NOT big group rides) you've participated in
          > > or read about that you think were fun/successful?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance. :)
          > >
          > > Elaine Nelson
          > > http://card.elainenelson.org/

        • Elise Giddings
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
            I once participated in the bike equivalent of a Road Rally. It's sort of a scavenger hunt / mystery tour. You are handed a set of clues and instructions and you use them to figure out where you are supposed to ride and to collect clue answers or items along the way.

            For example, the turns were marked by landmarks such as, a large american flag hanging in someone's window, a pair of shoes tossed over the telephone wire, wordplays on street signs, etc. We worked in teams of a few people to solve the riddles and figure out where to go.

            It was really fun - one of the more interesting bike events I've attended! I think it could easily be adapted to be easier or harder depending on kid ages. You could make the ride go past a local ice cream shop for a treat, or if there are friendly local business people, you could have the participants ask them a question or pick something up from them. It would be a good way to find out more about the neighborhood, explore businesses maybe people have not been into before, etc.

            I think the organizers of the event just rode the chosen route a couple days before the ride and looked for landmarks at each turn, then made up the riddles an clues. Everyone had a lot of fun.

            -Elise
            http://www.cycle9.com
          • poppamando
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
              Here are some ideas from our upcoming local May First Fridays in Goshen, IN.

              http://www.cityonthego.org/first_fridays

              -Phil

              *Goshen's May First Fridays theme is Bikes!*
              http://www.cityonthego.org/first_fridays

              • Everyone in Goshen is encouraged to bike downtown to First Fridays. The City has begun installing 60 new bike racks throughout Goshen. There will be temporary bike parking for another 288 bikes during May First Fridays.
              • The first annual "I ♥ Goshen Bicycle Criterium".
                • We are hoping for 150-200 cyclists to appear and race through Goshen's city streets. There will be $1600 in cash prizes distributed among 3 heats!
              • Greenitivity Bike Decorating Contest Paint, Pedal, Participate!
                • Deck Out Your Bicycle Celebration. Have fun, while improving your health and the health of the planet! Bring your painted and/or decorated bike to the NorthEast corner of Main & East Lincoln at 5PM on May 6. Entry forms will be handed out on the spot
              • Family Bicycle Parade - dress up & ride around the Criterium race course between heats
              • Bicycle Saftey & Info tents - Free city bicycle registration, local bicycle maps, Goshen's Greenway Master Plan will be on display, Safe Kids Elkhart County <http://www.elkhartcountyhealth.org/safekids.php> will be helping people fit their helmets properly, Bike to Work Week information
              • Girl Scouts Pedal Car Derby - Area troops have built their very own pedal car, now watch them compete in a street course.
              • Maple City Market "Bikes for Kids" - MCM is raising money to buy bikes for Big Brothers & Big Sisters

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 23, 2011
                Discussing ideas for fun bike events reminds me of an April Fools
                messenger alleycat race a good friend of mine organized back in New York.
                It was set up like a “choose your own adventure” book. At the start of
                the race you were given a sheet of paper with the first part of a story.
                At the bottom of the sheet were two choices. You would pick one option
                and go to a checkpoint location and inform the checkpoint volunteers of
                your decision, which would earn you another page with the next part of
                the story following that choice-trail. Of course that page would also
                have another set of options to decide from at the bottom, which would in
                turn send you to another checkpoint location.
                It was really cool because he organized the alleycat with only about five
                actual checkpoints with two or three volunteers at each spot, so no one
                would be lonely. Having more than one checkpoint person also helped avoid
                the possible confusion of handing over the wrong choice-story page, since
                each volunteer would only handle certain story-choice pages.
                What is also cool is it was extremely easy to convert the entire
                adventure story into a collection of web pages, which I managed to track
                down here:
                http://www.nybma.com/events/aprilfools/aprilfools.htm
                You can start reading the story following the links on that page or you
                can follow a link to read a more detailed explanation of the race and its
                rules… you decide.
                Keep in mind the story actually involves comical character satires of
                actual people and events connected to messengers in New York City… and
                yes there is even a spoof of me.

                It was definitely a fun event, so I thought I would put the idea out
                there. Enjoy,