Re: [rootsradicals] Taga convertible cargo/kid tricycle and stroller

  • Ben Moulden
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 8, 2011
      Hello all. I have recently built my first Xtracycle and suffice to say i am loving it! I have however, had two punctures in my back tyre over the last two days. I have been carrying a load, but not a huge one. The tyres are 26/1.5 and i am thinking they are maybe too slim. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would putting a fatter tyre on the back help? What size tyres does every one else run? I mainly cycle on tarmac roads.

      regards from London

      Ben
    • mcmok
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2011
        I've test-ridden the Taga and the Zigo, and whilst they may seem to be a good catch-all solution, the flip-side is that they are "jacks of all trades, masters of none". The steering/handling of each was quite odd - much harder to get used to than more trad bakfiets or Xs. One felt like a boat to steer - quite off-putting. And the lack of rigidity was disturbing! For people who want to use bikes as a primary means of transport, they would fall short because they're not designed to cover large distances with any degree of smoothness or efficiency. Having said that, they fill a niche, and I kind of wish I'd had one when my kids were really little.

        In Melbourne we've had a few events where cargobike test-rides were possible (lucky us!) and participating in these has ridden home the point that TEST-RIDES ARE CRUCIAL! Seemingly identical bikes can feel so different! Considering the $$$ involved, I'd advise try-before-you-buy, for sure.

        I'm taking advantage of my LBS's testride program to try the Gazelle Cabby for a week over Easter when the kids & I can really enjoy it. Admittedly, I'm not likely (or able, at this stage) to be able to buy one, and I find my Radish is quite fine for now, but hey, at least I'll know if i really would have loved one!

        I wish I had the resources to have a STABLE of different cycles, including a Zigo/Taga, a boxbike, a longtail, a folder, a Workcycles, a porteur, a family tandem .... And so on. At present (not counting the kids' bikes) I have our Radish, a couple of thrown-away-but-found-and-restored 1970s numbers, and my first real bike, a Fisher Advance 1989 (steel frame rigid "mountain bike" now kitted out as a commuter).

        I'd be interested to hear a Zigo/Taga owner's POV on what they're really like.

        Cath
      • Rich W
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 10, 2011
          I specifically went with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26" x 2" puncture resistant tires (tyres) on my Big Dummy as I dread the thought of a puncture on a loaded cargo bike. The rear frame design on the Big Dummy makes rear wheel removal a bit of a hassle.

          I am not sure that wider tires are more puncture resistant as tire construction has the most effect on puncture resistance in my opinion. At a given pressure level the wider ones will be more resistant to pinch flats but possibly worse for punctures due to road debris.

          What were your punctures due to? I have on occasion had punctures due to rim/wheel problems which had nothing to do with tire size or construction. You need to analyse your punctures to determine the actual cause if possible to determine appropriate corrective action.

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Moulden <web@...> wrote:

          > Hello all. I have recently built my first Xtracycle and suffice to say i am loving it! I have however, had two punctures in my back tyre over the last two days. I have been carrying a load, but not a huge one. The tyres are 26/1.5 and i am thinking they are maybe too slim. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would putting a fatter tyre on the back help? What size tyres does every one else run? I mainly cycle on tarmac roads.
          >
          > regards from London
          >
          > Ben

        • Gerry Townsend
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2011
            I had Specialized Armadillos 26x1.5 & went to Kenda Short Block Eight 26x2.35. World of difference. Loving these tires. GT

            Ps. My Free Radical kit with wide loaders is for sale.

            Hello all. I have recently built my first Xtracycle and suffice to say i am loving it! I have however, had two punctures in my back tyre over the last two days. I have been carrying a load, but not a huge one. The tyres are 26/1.5 and i am thinking they are maybe too slim. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would putting a fatter tyre on the back help? What size tyres does every one else run? I mainly cycle on tarmac roads.

            regards from London

            Ben

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Justice McPherson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
              Winter, I use 26x2.3 studded snow tires with puncture resistant tires,
              and run without issues. Summer, I put 26x1.5's and it also runs fine.
              Check tire pressure, and check the inside of the tire to make sure you
              don't have a poky bit embedded in the tire.
            • Vik Banerjee
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
                Wider tires should be inflated to a lower pressure than the same bike with narrower tires as pressure is related to weight being supported and tire width. The lower the pressure the less flats you'll get assuming the same tire construction. I wouldn't run a Schwalbe M+ because I can't afford to lose that much energy to my tires to avoid an infrequent flat. I'm currently running Marathon XRs in the 2.0" width and will switch to Marathon Supremes when they wear out.

                I've had one flat on my BD's rear tire, which, if I recall correctly was a tube failure.

                safe riding,

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
                  Although I would use wider tires for other reasons two flats in 2 days doesn't mean anything. My GF had two flats in a week of commuting and was ready to swap out her fast comfortable tires for something heavy, slow, harsh and more puncture resistant. I talked her out of it....explaining that the flats were just bad luck and no point taking a performance/comfort hit on every single KM pedaled to avoid a few flats a year.

                  It's been 4-5 months since and no new flats on those tires.

                  Had she put Marathon Pluses on her bike she'd be significantly slower as she is a low power rider and she would have convinced herself they M+s were keeping her flat free - when in fact the flats were simply bad luck.

                  safe riding,

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
                      There are various Schwalbe tires that would work for you in 2.0" width. I wouldn't bother with 2.35" unless you have some special need for a huge tire. At some point you have to move all that rubber around and there is a trade off between the benefits of width and the weight involved. The bigger tire will also slow down your steering which at some point gets to un desirable.

                      Besides the Big Apple you could consider a Marathon Supreme in 2.0" width. It has a bit more flat protection than the BA. If you gave me a free set of either tire I'd happily throw them on my BD and ride it.

                      Note the folding liteskin version of the BA will be the fastest option in that model:

                      safe riding,