Re: [rootsradicals] Taga convertible cargo/kid tricycle and stroller

  • Neil Schneider
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2011
      I've read about this thing before. The reviewer seemed to completely miss the
      point. You can take this on a train or other public transportation, where
      bicycles cannot be taken, because it's a stroller. According to what I read
      earlier, that was part of the design criteria. Some of the other criticisms
      seemed to be specific to OZ law and not applicable in the US. Also the
      reversing of the levers was probably someone's assembly error. I notice all
      like the distributor wasn't well informed.

      Just my $.02 worth.

      Pete B wrote:
      > Yes, saw it at a recent Cargo Bike day here in Melbourne (Aus).
      > It is an innovative idea but AFAIK it is a European design (Dutch?) The twin
      tiller steering takes a little getting used to but it went pretty well on a
      flat course.
      > It has a 5kg ballast under the child carrier (Yes ~ 10lbs) presumably to
      stop the thing tipping forward with an active child. You can remove the
      ballast if you are planning on carrying shopping or some other cargo under the
      child seat.

      > The Australian Consumer mag Choice was not impressed.
      > http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/babies-and-kids/travel/strollers/taga-bike-stroller.aspx
      >
      > Rgds
      > Pete
      >
      > On 8 April 2011 06:06, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
      >

      >> While searching on-line for single-sided hub/axles for a rail-bike side-car
      idea I had, which I posted separately in this RootsRadicals forum, I came
      across an interesting new cargo/kid tricycle. Side note: it is new to me and I
      presume it is generally relatively new because their web site’s “about us”
      page only says, “Press coming soon.” Although, its design seems to have
      already won some awards in 2008 and 2009. Anyway, it is a tricycle called the
      “Taga”, which can carry cargo or one/two child seats up front between its two
      front wheels. However, in seconds the rear of the bike with rider seat and
      tire, etc. can be flipped up and forward between the two front wheels and
      “split” handle bars. This transforms the tricycle into a three wheeled sporty
      looking stroller, which can then be pushed indoors. It basically disguises
      your tricycle as a stroller or shopping cart when in stores or commuting on a
      train/subway.

      >> - Options page with images showing all the modular options:
      >> http://www.tagabikes.com/au/options.asp?lang=eng
      >> - Slide show gallery:
      >> http://www.tagabikes.com/au/Gallery.asp?lang=eng
      >> - 2.5 minute demonstration video:
      >> http://www.tagabikes.com/au/taga-video.asp?lang=eng
      >>
      >> I thought many RootsRadicalists would be interested in the concept, which
      seems to be from Australia and currently available for purchase there and New
      Zealand. Unfortunately, it costs quite a bit at a price tag between $2156 and
      $2295 Australian Dollars ($2250 to $2400 US Dollars) depending on whether you
      order the basic shopping basket or child seat version. The price goes up
      higher if you want a wooden dual child seat, canopy, hard cargo basket, etc.
      It does seem quite adaptable though because all you need to do if simply swap
      out the modular child seat or basket, and it does appear to be fairly
      “foldable” for storage or transporting in an
      automobile, etc., especially in comparison to comparable cargo bikes. The Taga
      apparently was designed to mimic the Bakfiets (front basket style Dutch
      bikes). However, as far as I understand Bakfiets tend to cost in the $3000 USD
      range. Considering the price of a Taga is less money and it seems to be much
      more modular, foldable, and convertible I would think the Taga is a better buy
      than a Bakfiet. Another nice aspect to the Taga is that since it is a tricycle
      you do not have to worry about balancing in slow traffic, putting a foot down,
      or riding one handed if you have to interact with your child. Additionally,
      all three tires on the Taga are the same 16” size, which means you only have
      to buy one tube/tire size for possible spares as opposed to two different
      sizes for the Bakfiets, which might be an issue if you get a flat tire.

      >> When I was looking at the Taga site at first I was a bit concerned by the
      front brakes on both wheels, which I believe come standard as disc brakes, but
      I think are optional as V-brakes. My concern lied in the fact that the
      cargo/kid weight appears to be up front almost over the front axles, so
      braking might cause a child or cargo to spill out “endo” style. However, the
      Taga also comes with a Shimano Nexus roller brake, so that should avoid hard
      braking on just the front brakes. Still, I wonder what would happen if a child
      leans forward without an adult on the tricycle. The child seats do come with a
      five point harness to keep the child from leaning forward, but the likelihood
      of a child not being buckled in is obviously much greater when the bike is at
      a stop and an adult’s counter-weight is not on the tricycle. Parents might get
      to chatting and an impatient child might climb up or jump into his/her seat. I
      am wondering if that is why the
      specification page rates the single child passenger weight at 25 kilograms (55
      pounds)… because it states the tricycle weight at 20-29 kilograms depending on
      configuration. I suppose as a child gets older and heavier, the child would
      also become mature enough to seat themselves in the Taga after the adult
      mounts the tricycle.

      >> It should be noted I have no personal or financial connection to this Taga
      company. I simply found it on-line and thought I would share it with the group
      as another car-free/light alternative for parents. So much of the on-going
      discussions on RootsRadicals seem to revolve around child hauling, and the
      Taga seems like quite a good option. I do not have kids my self, so my own
      interests are even further from the Taga and I will definitely be sticking
      with my long-tail Big Dummy.

      >> Ride safe,
      >> _TONE_

    • Pete B
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2011
        In Aus (and AFAIK all Drive on the left countries) the brake levers are the reverse of those fitted in Europe & USA. i.e., the Left brake lever is the rear brakes and the right lever is the front brakes.

        It can be an indication of a sloppy importer if the brakes on imported bikes are not swapped to meet ADR's before sale (or handing over to reviewers).

        On the same "try a cargo bike" day there was a Christiana style bike  where the importer/wholesaler had incorrectly installed the brake cables. When you turned hard left the front brakes would come on.

        Wont be trusting that importer anytime soon.

        Pete.B

        Pete B wrote:
> [...]
        am wondering if that is why the
        specification page rates the single child passenger weight at 25 kilograms (55
        pounds)… because it states the tricycle weight at 20-29 kilograms depending on
        configuration. I suppose as a child gets older and heavier, the child would
        also become mature enough to seat themselves in the Taga after the adult
        mounts the tricycle.

        >> It should be noted I have no personal or financial connection to this Taga
        company. I simply found it on-line and thought I would share it with the group
        as another car-free/light alternative for parents. So much of the on-going
        discussions on RootsRadicals seem to revolve around child hauling, and the
        Taga seems like quite a good option. I do not have kids my self, so my own
        interests are even further from the Taga and I will definitely be sticking

      • Ben Moulden
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 8, 2011
          Hello all. I have recently built my first Xtracycle and suffice to say i am loving it! I have however, had two punctures in my back tyre over the last two days. I have been carrying a load, but not a huge one. The tyres are 26/1.5 and i am thinking they are maybe too slim. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would putting a fatter tyre on the back help? What size tyres does every one else run? I mainly cycle on tarmac roads.

          regards from London

          Ben
        • mcmok
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 8, 2011
            I've test-ridden the Taga and the Zigo, and whilst they may seem to be a good catch-all solution, the flip-side is that they are "jacks of all trades, masters of none". The steering/handling of each was quite odd - much harder to get used to than more trad bakfiets or Xs. One felt like a boat to steer - quite off-putting. And the lack of rigidity was disturbing! For people who want to use bikes as a primary means of transport, they would fall short because they're not designed to cover large distances with any degree of smoothness or efficiency. Having said that, they fill a niche, and I kind of wish I'd had one when my kids were really little.

            In Melbourne we've had a few events where cargobike test-rides were possible (lucky us!) and participating in these has ridden home the point that TEST-RIDES ARE CRUCIAL! Seemingly identical bikes can feel so different! Considering the $$$ involved, I'd advise try-before-you-buy, for sure.

            I'm taking advantage of my LBS's testride program to try the Gazelle Cabby for a week over Easter when the kids & I can really enjoy it. Admittedly, I'm not likely (or able, at this stage) to be able to buy one, and I find my Radish is quite fine for now, but hey, at least I'll know if i really would have loved one!

            I wish I had the resources to have a STABLE of different cycles, including a Zigo/Taga, a boxbike, a longtail, a folder, a Workcycles, a porteur, a family tandem .... And so on. At present (not counting the kids' bikes) I have our Radish, a couple of thrown-away-but-found-and-restored 1970s numbers, and my first real bike, a Fisher Advance 1989 (steel frame rigid "mountain bike" now kitted out as a commuter).

            I'd be interested to hear a Zigo/Taga owner's POV on what they're really like.

            Cath
          • Rich W
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2011
              I specifically went with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26" x 2" puncture resistant tires (tyres) on my Big Dummy as I dread the thought of a puncture on a loaded cargo bike. The rear frame design on the Big Dummy makes rear wheel removal a bit of a hassle.

              I am not sure that wider tires are more puncture resistant as tire construction has the most effect on puncture resistance in my opinion. At a given pressure level the wider ones will be more resistant to pinch flats but possibly worse for punctures due to road debris.

              What were your punctures due to? I have on occasion had punctures due to rim/wheel problems which had nothing to do with tire size or construction. You need to analyse your punctures to determine the actual cause if possible to determine appropriate corrective action.

              Rich Wood

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Moulden <web@...> wrote:

              > Hello all. I have recently built my first Xtracycle and suffice to say i am loving it! I have however, had two punctures in my back tyre over the last two days. I have been carrying a load, but not a huge one. The tyres are 26/1.5 and i am thinking they are maybe too slim. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would putting a fatter tyre on the back help? What size tyres does every one else run? I mainly cycle on tarmac roads.
              >
              > regards from London
              >
              > Ben

            • Gerry Townsend
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2011
                I had Specialized Armadillos 26x1.5 & went to Kenda Short Block Eight 26x2.35. World of difference. Loving these tires. GT

                Ps. My Free Radical kit with wide loaders is for sale.

                Hello all. I have recently built my first Xtracycle and suffice to say i am loving it! I have however, had two punctures in my back tyre over the last two days. I have been carrying a load, but not a huge one. The tyres are 26/1.5 and i am thinking they are maybe too slim. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would putting a fatter tyre on the back help? What size tyres does every one else run? I mainly cycle on tarmac roads.

                regards from London

                Ben

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Justice McPherson
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
                  Winter, I use 26x2.3 studded snow tires with puncture resistant tires,
                  and run without issues. Summer, I put 26x1.5's and it also runs fine.
                  Check tire pressure, and check the inside of the tire to make sure you
                  don't have a poky bit embedded in the tire.
                • Vik Banerjee
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
                    Wider tires should be inflated to a lower pressure than the same bike with narrower tires as pressure is related to weight being supported and tire width. The lower the pressure the less flats you'll get assuming the same tire construction. I wouldn't run a Schwalbe M+ because I can't afford to lose that much energy to my tires to avoid an infrequent flat. I'm currently running Marathon XRs in the 2.0" width and will switch to Marathon Supremes when they wear out.

                    I've had one flat on my BD's rear tire, which, if I recall correctly was a tube failure.

                    safe riding,

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
                      Although I would use wider tires for other reasons two flats in 2 days doesn't mean anything. My GF had two flats in a week of commuting and was ready to swap out her fast comfortable tires for something heavy, slow, harsh and more puncture resistant. I talked her out of it....explaining that the flats were just bad luck and no point taking a performance/comfort hit on every single KM pedaled to avoid a few flats a year.

                      It's been 4-5 months since and no new flats on those tires.

                      Had she put Marathon Pluses on her bike she'd be significantly slower as she is a low power rider and she would have convinced herself they M+s were keeping her flat free - when in fact the flats were simply bad luck.

                      safe riding,

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 11, 2011
                          There are various Schwalbe tires that would work for you in 2.0" width. I wouldn't bother with 2.35" unless you have some special need for a huge tire. At some point you have to move all that rubber around and there is a trade off between the benefits of width and the weight involved. The bigger tire will also slow down your steering which at some point gets to un desirable.

                          Besides the Big Apple you could consider a Marathon Supreme in 2.0" width. It has a bit more flat protection than the BA. If you gave me a free set of either tire I'd happily throw them on my BD and ride it.

                          Note the folding liteskin version of the BA will be the fastest option in that model:

                          safe riding,