Re: [rootsradicals] Rail Bike + Side Car

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2011
      On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
      > is referred to as the “tracking width.” However, a Standard rail road
      > track has an inside gauge of 4 feet and 8.5 inches. That is about a 22”
      > difference from the Surly Side Hack, or a total of 58.5”, if also
      > counting an additional 2 inches to roughly center the tires on top of the
      > rails. It would be pretty cool if a rail-rig could also double as a
      > side-car on normal roadways, but I am not certain if the tracking width
      > would be suitable for a bicycle. Apparently a typical motorcycle side-car

      So I imagine two profound problems:

      1) on truly 'abandoned' rail lines, the overgrowth is awful, and you
      will be running into brush, or crooked rails, or need to whip out the
      machete so much that you'll never get anywhere

      2) for rails that are less 'abandoned', you don't know whether a train
      is coming unless you have an inside connection at the railroad or at
      least monitor the radios. However, if you knew that kind of stuff you
      would also know that railroads are known for enforcing their property
      rights against 'trespassers', and ummm, especially in the middle of a
      rail line, you are unlikely to have a way off the railroad property
      that doesn't require you to trespass on somebody else's property.

      So I count the risks as:

      * it might work, but good luck finding somewhere to use it
      * it might get you arrested / shot for trespassing
      * it might get you killed / your rig smooshed when you can't get it
      off the rails in the way of a live train

      All that said, I have to admit it looks like fun.