Re: Xtracycle, nuvinci, kickback, and chain routing

  • thewollard
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
      I just purchased a free radical. By just I mean I opened the boxes today. I took my bike to the shop to have the Free Radical installed on my Giant Sedona.

      The kickback shipped separately, and I'm going to install myself.

      Will I have a chain issue without some sort of adaptor for my kickback?

      Ryan - Near Orlando Florida

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "A" <andyboote@...> wrote:

      > hi - I have a regular chainset and about to install a kickback. I bought
      > this tensioner from CRC that clamps onto chainstay.
      > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/827448094/name/loads+008.jpg
      > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/827448094/name/loads+008.jpg>
      > (hopefully this link works).
      >
      > best
      >
      > Andy

    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
        On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 3:18 PM, thewollard <thewollard@...> wrote:

        > I just purchased a free radical. By just I mean I opened the boxes today. I took my bike to the shop to have the Free Radical installed on my Giant Sedona.
        >
        > The kickback shipped separately, and I'm going to install myself.
        >
        > Will I have a chain issue without some sort of adaptor for my kickback?

        I looked up some photos and it seems that the Giant Sedona has an
        external rear derailleur shifting system, which will get the chain out
        of the kickback's way. The problems can come in when you try to route
        an internally geared hub's chain around the kickback. Take a look at
        your bike's chain vs. a single speed, and you may be able to see the
        difference of which I speak.
      • Jeff Youngstrom
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
          Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get the thing all put together.

          Thanks!
          Jeff
        • Jeff Youngstrom
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 14, 2011
            I got my bike back a couple of days ago. It took my poor shop monkey a
            whole day of tinkering to get the thing torn apart and put back
            together.

            In its current configuration there's no contact between Kickback and
            chain in either the up or down position. I think this is because the
            chain tensioner we used holds the chain pretty low.

            This may change, though because I'm getting gear slippage when I push
            off on starts. This is with all new chain, cog, and ring. So I'm
            thinking either the chain needs to be tighter or I'm going to have to
            do an idler to take up the slack and more fully wrap the ring. Anybody
            got any other suggestions? I haven't talked to shop monkey about it
            yet.

            Thanks!
            Jeff

            On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
            > Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday
            > with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all
            > kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take
            > a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get
            > the thing all put together.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Jeff

          • jtrops
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 14, 2011
              Does it feel like it's slipping, or skipping? I could see skipping due to poor chain tension, or more likely poor chainline. If it's slipping it almost has to be inside the hub. The only time I noticed slipping in my N171b was when it was very new, and only when I shifted the range from the highest gear to the lowest before applying pressure. I'd say that within the first week with the hub the effect was gone.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

              > I got my bike back a couple of days ago. It took my poor shop monkey a
              > whole day of tinkering to get the thing torn apart and put back
              > together.
              >
              > In its current configuration there's no contact between Kickback and
              > chain in either the up or down position. I think this is because the
              > chain tensioner we used holds the chain pretty low.
              >
              > This may change, though because I'm getting gear slippage when I push
              > off on starts. This is with all new chain, cog, and ring. So I'm
              > thinking either the chain needs to be tighter or I'm going to have to
              > do an idler to take up the slack and more fully wrap the ring. Anybody
              > got any other suggestions? I haven't talked to shop monkey about it
              > yet.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Jeff
              >
              > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
              > > Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday
              > > with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all
              > > kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take
              > > a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get
              > > the thing all put together.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Jeff

            • Jeff Youngstrom
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 15, 2011
                Sloppy language on my part. It's definitely the chain skipping. Feels and sounds exactly like it would start to after my cog, ring, and chain had become unreasonably worn.

                Thanks,
                Jeff

                On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM, jtrops <jtrops@...> wrote:

                Does it feel like it's slipping, or skipping? I could see skipping due to poor chain tension, or more likely poor chainline. If it's slipping it almost has to be inside the hub. The only time I noticed slipping in my N171b was when it was very new, and only when I shifted the range from the highest gear to the lowest before applying pressure. I'd say that within the first week with the hub the effect was gone.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

                > I got my bike back a couple of days ago. It took my poor shop monkey a
                > whole day of tinkering to get the thing torn apart and put back
                > together.
                >
                > In its current configuration there's no contact between Kickback and
                > chain in either the up or down position. I think this is because the
                > chain tensioner we used holds the chain pretty low.
                >
                > This may change, though because I'm getting gear slippage when I push
                > off on starts. This is with all new chain, cog, and ring. So I'm
                > thinking either the chain needs to be tighter or I'm going to have to
                > do an idler to take up the slack and more fully wrap the ring. Anybody
                > got any other suggestions? I haven't talked to shop monkey about it
                > yet.
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Jeff
                >
                > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
                > > Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday
                > > with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all
                > > kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take
                > > a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get
                > > the thing all put together.
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > Jeff

              • Jeff Youngstrom
                Message 7 of 16 , May 13 7:44 PM
                  Thought I'd update this thread with the final solution. Turns out I was mistaken in thinking that I'd gotten a new chainring. Replaced the old chainring with a new one to match the new chain and no more skipping.

                  In the process of figuring this out, swapped out the new chain tensioner for an old derailleur which seems to work fine. Never had problems with the chain interacting with the kickback with either tensioner.

                  Thanks for your help, gang!
                  Jeff