how to transport my bike

  • coach4many
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
      Hi all,
      heading to San Francisco for Spring Break and would like to take my X.
      Question is how? I have a hitch in haul for the back of my Element, but it only fits a regular size bike. I do not have a bike rack, and even if I did my bike is a step through. I am not sure it will fit in the back of my element, even with the seats up. How does anyone else transport their bike by car?
      Thanks Beth
    • Galen Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
        Rockymounts rack on the roof rack.

        Galen Fitzpatrick

        Nonconforming with the masses since 1982

        On Apr 6, 2011, at 11:55 AM, coach4many wrote:

        Hi all,
        heading to San Francisco for Spring Break and would like to take my X.
        Question is how? I have a hitch in haul for the back of my Element, but it only fits a regular size bike. I do not have a bike rack, and even if I did my bike is a step through. I am not sure it will fit in the back of my element, even with the seats up. How does anyone else transport their bike by car?
        Thanks Beth

      • Andrew Kreps
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
          On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Galen Fitzpatrick <galen.fitzpatrick@...> wrote:

          Rockymounts rack on the roof rack.

          I have one of those, and it's great.  However, I can't find the long version on either the Xtracycle site or the Rocky Mounts product list.  Mine looks closest to the Pitchfork, but can anyone in the know chime in and tell Beth where she could find one these days?

        • anthonyeberger
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2011
            A while ago someone on this list posted a PVC extender they made for a standard Rocky Mount track. He/She bolted it to the standard bike track to extend it long enough to fit the longer wheel base.

            If I recall correctly, it was working quite well and was only about $15 to make.

            Could check instructables.com too.

            Tony B.
            Riverwest WI
            Home to only the second publicly owned bar in the US!