Re: shipping an Xtracycle

  • takijeep
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
      I think you're going to need to break it down to the bike frame and the Xtracycle (freeloader,wideloader etc) and ship them in seperate boxes. I recently got my Surly Big Dummy and its box was huge, a standard bike box easily fits inside it, the other option might be to call around to local bike shops, rental shops or bike groups and websites to see if you can get a Big dummy or tandem bike box. Fyi my Dummy box is about13x30x72 inches and my standard bikes box is around 8x29x53 inches. Sorry, I'd offer to send you mine but I need it to ship my bike to Key West so I can bike to canada. If the box survives in reusable condition I can try to get it to you but it might have only one trip left in it! Hey!! new idea you could bike to the left coast! Think of the cred when you get there!! Good luck!
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:

      > I'm leaving my five years at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in Connecticut this summer and heading to the Left Coast to join the master roots-radicals (at least for a couple years). I've been accepted into California College of the Arts' green MBA in Design Strategy program and I'm hoping to live with friends in Berkeley.
      >
      > Anyway, my travel will probably not be by land, so how do folks recommend I ship my Xtracycle? If partial dismantling is required, how much and how large a box?
      >
      > Thanks for your insights!
      >
      > - Ben
      > Alive (and Pedaling) to Save the Planet

    • WV Tenor
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
        I'd suggest taking it to your LBS; they would have the experience and knowledge to manage it for you.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:

        > I'm leaving my five years at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in Connecticut this summer and heading to the Left Coast to join the master roots-radicals (at least for a couple years). I've been accepted into California College of the Arts' green MBA in Design Strategy program and I'm hoping to live with friends in Berkeley.
        >
        > Anyway, my travel will probably not be by land, so how do folks recommend I ship my Xtracycle? If partial dismantling is required, how much and how large a box?
        >
        > Thanks for your insights!
        >
        > - Ben
        > Alive (and Pedaling) to Save the Planet

      • John Geiger
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
          I had to ship my big dummy and made a box to fit it by combining two standard bike boxes. It took some cutting and taping but it worked out fine. UPS picked it up and delivered it and I believe the total cost to ship from CA to OH was just around $100. I previously shipped my free rad and bike in two separate boxes, breaking it down to basically a standard bike packing job and the free rad.

          On Apr 5, 2011, at 8:53 AM, takijeep wrote:

          I think you're going to need to break it down to the bike frame and the Xtracycle (freeloader,wideloader etc) and ship them in seperate boxes. I recently got my Surly Big Dummy and its box was huge, a standard bike box easily fits inside it, the other option might be to call around to local bike shops, rental shops or bike groups and websites to see if you can get a Big dummy or tandem bike box. Fyi my Dummy box is about13x30x72 inches and my standard bikes box is around 8x29x53 inches. Sorry, I'd offer to send you mine but I need it to ship my bike to Key West so I can bike to canada. If the box survives in reusable condition I can try to get it to you but it might have only one trip left in it! Hey!! new idea you could bike to the left coast! Think of the cred when you get there!! Good luck!
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:

          > I'm leaving my five years at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in Connecticut this summer and heading to the Left Coast to join the master roots-radicals (at least for a couple years). I've been accepted into California College of the Arts' green MBA in Design Strategy program and I'm hoping to live with friends in Berkeley.
          >
          > Anyway, my travel will probably not be by land, so how do folks recommend I ship my Xtracycle? If partial dismantling is required, how much and how large a box?
          >
          > Thanks for your insights!
          >
          > - Ben
          > Alive (and Pedaling) to Save the Planet

        • anthonyeberger
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2011
            Don't rule out AmTrak/Grayhound either. I shipped a BOB to a buddy in Washington state from WI for $36. He just had to pick it up at the local Depot but that was far less than the 100 UPS quoted (which I found insane in the first place)

            Good luck

            Tony B.
            Riverwest WI