Re: Xtracycle, nuvinci, kickback, and chain routing

  • A
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31 4:27 PM

      hi - I have a regular chainset and about to install a kickback. I bought this tensioner from CRC that clamps onto chainstay. http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/827448094/name/loads+008.jpg (hopefully this link works).

      best

      Andy

    • jeff_sss
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
        I once heard someone describe it as pedaling against a spring. That's as good as I could do.

        My two issues are the general pedal feel, and the amount I have to back off the pedals to shift. It's considerably more noticable than my shimano-hubbed bikes.

        Admittedly, I am not a fan of IGH's and would never have chosen it for my own build. I don't know if the new one is any different or not.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM, jeff_sss <jsnavely@...> wrote:
        > > Once I realized how much I hated the Nuvinci I quit trying to make it work. The plan was to rebuild it with either a Rohloff or derailleur. My wife had a bad wreck though and knee surgery so it's been put off for a year. It's about time to start work again.
        >

        > Out of curiosity, could you write a little bit about why you don't
        > like the NuVinci? The next time I rebuild my rear wheel, I've thought
        > about going that route.

      • jtrops
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
          It goes to show that there is no one cargo build that is perfect for everyone. I love my Nuvinci, and I can understand why you don't. If I had the problems you are describing I would be putting my derailleur back on in a heartbeat.

          That's interesting I never heard the "spring" simile. I have the older hub, and I can say that I have never experienced anything like what you are describing. My experience with Shimano hubs has been that you have to back pedal before you shift, or you will wear out the gears and pawls very quickly. The older SA hubs won't even shift in many cases unless you back pedal. The Nuvinci that I have shifts when I let up on the pressure, I don't even have to back pedal. In fact I would say that the sensation is almost exactly like the amount you have to relax the pressure to get a crisp shift from a derailleur. I know that chain shifting systems have gotten much better at shifting under load, but they still work better when you relax the pressure a bit. The only time I can feel the fluid in hub is when I'm in the absolute lowest gear. If I dial it up even a hair from that position it feels solid. I should say that in the lowest gear I can almost hear the hub if it's a very quiet stretch of road, but it still feels positive and fully engaged.

          The new hub is supposed to be easier to shift under load, and generally better in every way over the one I got. I ended up with the older one due to a darn good deal on a bike that came with it. It ended up hundreds of dollars cheaper than if I were to buy the hub alone.

          I hope that the Fallbrook people are hard at work on the next version. It would be cool to have one light enough, and withe enough range to honestly consider putting it on a MTB.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jeff_sss" <jsnavely@...> wrote:

          > I once heard someone describe it as pedaling against a spring. That's as good as I could do.
          >
          > My two issues are the general pedal feel, and the amount I have to back off the pedals to shift. It's considerably more noticable than my shimano-hubbed bikes.
          >
          > Admittedly, I am not a fan of IGH's and would never have chosen it for my own build. I don't know if the new one is any different or not.
          >

          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM, jeff_sss <jsnavely@> wrote:
          > > > Once I realized how much I hated the Nuvinci I quit trying to make it work. The plan was to rebuild it with either a Rohloff or derailleur. My wife had a bad wreck though and knee surgery so it's been put off for a year. It's about time to start work again.
          > >

          > > Out of curiosity, could you write a little bit about why you don't
          > > like the NuVinci? The next time I rebuild my rear wheel, I've thought
          > > about going that route.

        • thewollard
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
            I just purchased a free radical. By just I mean I opened the boxes today. I took my bike to the shop to have the Free Radical installed on my Giant Sedona.

            The kickback shipped separately, and I'm going to install myself.

            Will I have a chain issue without some sort of adaptor for my kickback?

            Ryan - Near Orlando Florida

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "A" <andyboote@...> wrote:

            > hi - I have a regular chainset and about to install a kickback. I bought
            > this tensioner from CRC that clamps onto chainstay.
            > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/827448094/name/loads+008.jpg
            > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1425073/sn/827448094/name/loads+008.jpg>
            > (hopefully this link works).
            >
            > best
            >
            > Andy

          • Andrew Kreps
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
              On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 3:18 PM, thewollard <thewollard@...> wrote:

              > I just purchased a free radical. By just I mean I opened the boxes today. I took my bike to the shop to have the Free Radical installed on my Giant Sedona.
              >
              > The kickback shipped separately, and I'm going to install myself.
              >
              > Will I have a chain issue without some sort of adaptor for my kickback?

              I looked up some photos and it seems that the Giant Sedona has an
              external rear derailleur shifting system, which will get the chain out
              of the kickback's way. The problems can come in when you try to route
              an internally geared hub's chain around the kickback. Take a look at
              your bike's chain vs. a single speed, and you may be able to see the
              difference of which I speak.
            • Jeff Youngstrom
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get the thing all put together.

                Thanks!
                Jeff
              • Jeff Youngstrom
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 14, 2011
                  I got my bike back a couple of days ago. It took my poor shop monkey a
                  whole day of tinkering to get the thing torn apart and put back
                  together.

                  In its current configuration there's no contact between Kickback and
                  chain in either the up or down position. I think this is because the
                  chain tensioner we used holds the chain pretty low.

                  This may change, though because I'm getting gear slippage when I push
                  off on starts. This is with all new chain, cog, and ring. So I'm
                  thinking either the chain needs to be tighter or I'm going to have to
                  do an idler to take up the slack and more fully wrap the ring. Anybody
                  got any other suggestions? I haven't talked to shop monkey about it
                  yet.

                  Thanks!
                  Jeff

                  On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday
                  > with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all
                  > kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take
                  > a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get
                  > the thing all put together.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Jeff

                • jtrops
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 14, 2011
                    Does it feel like it's slipping, or skipping? I could see skipping due to poor chain tension, or more likely poor chainline. If it's slipping it almost has to be inside the hub. The only time I noticed slipping in my N171b was when it was very new, and only when I shifted the range from the highest gear to the lowest before applying pressure. I'd say that within the first week with the hub the effect was gone.

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

                    > I got my bike back a couple of days ago. It took my poor shop monkey a
                    > whole day of tinkering to get the thing torn apart and put back
                    > together.
                    >
                    > In its current configuration there's no contact between Kickback and
                    > chain in either the up or down position. I think this is because the
                    > chain tensioner we used holds the chain pretty low.
                    >
                    > This may change, though because I'm getting gear slippage when I push
                    > off on starts. This is with all new chain, cog, and ring. So I'm
                    > thinking either the chain needs to be tighter or I'm going to have to
                    > do an idler to take up the slack and more fully wrap the ring. Anybody
                    > got any other suggestions? I haven't talked to shop monkey about it
                    > yet.
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Jeff
                    >
                    > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
                    > > Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday
                    > > with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all
                    > > kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take
                    > > a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get
                    > > the thing all put together.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    > > Jeff

                  • Jeff Youngstrom
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 15, 2011
                      Sloppy language on my part. It's definitely the chain skipping. Feels and sounds exactly like it would start to after my cog, ring, and chain had become unreasonably worn.

                      Thanks,
                      Jeff

                      On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM, jtrops <jtrops@...> wrote:

                      Does it feel like it's slipping, or skipping? I could see skipping due to poor chain tension, or more likely poor chainline. If it's slipping it almost has to be inside the hub. The only time I noticed slipping in my N171b was when it was very new, and only when I shifted the range from the highest gear to the lowest before applying pressure. I'd say that within the first week with the hub the effect was gone.

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

                      > I got my bike back a couple of days ago. It took my poor shop monkey a
                      > whole day of tinkering to get the thing torn apart and put back
                      > together.
                      >
                      > In its current configuration there's no contact between Kickback and
                      > chain in either the up or down position. I think this is because the
                      > chain tensioner we used holds the chain pretty low.
                      >
                      > This may change, though because I'm getting gear slippage when I push
                      > off on starts. This is with all new chain, cog, and ring. So I'm
                      > thinking either the chain needs to be tighter or I'm going to have to
                      > do an idler to take up the slack and more fully wrap the ring. Anybody
                      > got any other suggestions? I haven't talked to shop monkey about it
                      > yet.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      > Jeff
                      >
                      > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
                      > > Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday
                      > > with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all
                      > > kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take
                      > > a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get
                      > > the thing all put together.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!
                      > > Jeff

                    • Jeff Youngstrom
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 13, 2011
                        Thought I'd update this thread with the final solution. Turns out I was mistaken in thinking that I'd gotten a new chainring. Replaced the old chainring with a new one to match the new chain and no more skipping.

                        In the process of figuring this out, swapped out the new chain tensioner for an old derailleur which seems to work fine. Never had problems with the chain interacting with the kickback with either tensioner.

                        Thanks for your help, gang!
                        Jeff