Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Shipping/wait wait wait!

  • Rainbow Flight
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hey Mark
      Yep, I've caught myself with the wideloaders too...makes me realise how wide it is...
      Like you, I'm really loving my Stoked Xtra, as I bed in the batteries on low power, I'm still amazed at the difference it makes! Now I understand what David Holmgren (co-originater of Permaculture) meant when he said electric assist bicycles were a no-brainer (we should be using them)....Yeah!!

      I carry my wideloaders on the bike most of the time, never know when I'll need them. I use some velcro to attach them off the top of the V racks. This keeps them out of the way nicely and stops the ends pushing a hole through the netting at either end of the Free-Radicals...

      Regards
      Ted

    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        On 8/1/07, Rainbow Flight <kitesfun@...> wrote:
        Hey Mark
        Yep, I've caught myself with the wideloaders too...makes me realise how wide it is...
        Like you, I'm really loving my Stoked Xtra, as I bed in the batteries on low power, I'm still amazed at the difference it makes! Now I understand what David Holmgren (co-originater of Permaculture) meant when he said electric assist bicycles were a no-brainer (we should be using them)....Yeah!!

        I did the e-assist as a sort of experiment about 2 years ago and I have a sort of love/hate relationship going with it.  I have to say that years and years ago, I purchased a Vespa Caio mo-ped.  I have pretty much always loved anything with two wheels (I still have and ride my ancient honda 125S motorcycle) especially bicycles.  And the idea of having a bicycle with something to push up hills was intriguing.  unfortunately, the Caio was a horrible motorcycle and a worse bicycle.  someone stole it and good luck to him!

        But the electric assist motor adds 8 lbs to the bike which doesn't make me happy, the 20 lb battery is worse, though I can in time replace that with a hi tech battery that weighs 1/3 of that which will be far more acceptable.

        The GOOD thing is that on level ground and on downhills, the motor and battery make ZERO difference.  Going up hill is where they make a difference, and with an electric assist, you can use it when you need it and not have an annoying little motor rattling away under you.   Plus the e-motor is nearly silent.  Hidden as it is under the bags you can barely hear it whining away as you pedal up hill at 10-12 mph!

        It is light enough that if something untoward should happen and you lose power or something breaks (so far nothing has thank the Gods!) you can still pedal it and very easily at that.  It is still an effective bicycle but enhanced.

        What this means is that I simply use my bicycle MORE than I would otherwise.  I would use it a lot anyway, but there are days when the thought of the big hills on the way to work is daunting!  the motor cuts about 10 minutes off my commute, making the bicycle only a bit slower than my car or motorcycle.  (car/motorcycle 15 minutes, bicycle 25-30 minutes over 7 miles)

        The setup may not be for EVERYONE, but while i am still somewhat bothered by the "purist" angle (I LOVE a nice, clean and light bicycle!!!) I can't bring myself to remove it and not use it.  Even though I use the motor only a small percentage of the time.

        Best of all, with the X, the motor is hidden under the back and totally out of sight.  yeah, it is "legal" no problem there honestly, most states have OKed up to 750 watts and 20 mph under power alone as a "bicycle", but I get a few comments of "cheater" (what?  is this a competition?  are there RULES???) and all, but I use mine like a bicycle and it works well.  I still hate the extra weight, but it serves a purpose!

        mark

        Mark  Garvey
        Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

        Check out the web site at:
        http://www.vine-ave.com

        contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

        I am a bicycling lifestylist!
      • akyramoto
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
          they showed up yesterday!! oh man i was excited, i had to go to class
          though so i shoved the wideloaders in the the bags & took them with me
          so i could 'play' with them when i got there. they do make the bike
          REALLY wide. i'm gonna have to practice cycling with them.

          and still i love my Xtra - dont know what I would do with out it.!

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
            After only 24 hours, I am starting to wonder why I didn't do this a year ago!  The X makes my bike so much better!  I am a "practical" cyclist, commuting, running errands, all the things i would do with a car.  I did my commute to work this morning and tossed in my clipbpard, my shoes, my hat and other small things that would take up space in my old panniers.  this is a very nice design!  Clever and practical!

            mark

            On 8/1/07, akyramoto <akyramoto@...> wrote:

            they showed up yesterday!! oh man i was excited, i had to go to class
            though so i shoved the wideloaders in the the bags & took them with me
            so i could 'play' with them when i got there.  they do make the bike
            REALLY wide.  i'm gonna have to practice cycling with them.

            and still i love my Xtra - dont know what I would do with out it.!
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com , "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:

            > I'm kinda bummed, i recieved my shipping details last week but
            > everytime i try to track it, it doesn't show it going anywhere, it
            > just says 'shipping /billling info recievd'
            >
            > i live probably about an hour away from Xtracycle HQ.  i thought it
            > would be here by now.  gah! the anticipation!!!
            >
            > but honestly i'm anxious for my wideloaders & i woudn't mind if they
            > shipped the Free rads first, i think everyone should have one. they're
            > great.  i've had mine since April & love it.
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com , "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am sitting here, WAITING for my x to arrive!  I can't wait!   I
            > sound like
            > > a whiny kid on X-mas (pun, people!) and it is driving me
            > crazy.....er.  i
            > > get the tantalizing notification, "your Xtracycle has been shipped!"
            > and a
            > > tracking n umber.  then it shows up and the last entry in in
            > someplace in
            > > California at 12.01 July 25!  Nothing since!  WAH!  It is suppoosed
            > to get
            > > here on Monday.  I can't even call in SICK because to make it
            easier for
            > > them, I had it shipped to my work!  Arrrrgh!  so i won't see it until
            > > Tuesday afternoon!  Looks like I had better get my tool box ready!
            > >
            > > mark
            > >
            > > --
            > > Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 50 years!
            > >

            > > Mark  Garvey
            > > Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!
            > >
            > > Check out the web site at:
            > > http://www.vine-ave.com
            > >
            > > contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!
            > Details at
            > > www.vine-ave.com
            > >
            > > I am a bicycling lifestylist!

            ride to believe.
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto: rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Mark  Garvey
            Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

            Check out the web site at:
            http://www.vine-ave.com

            contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

            I am a bicycling lifestylist!
          • Derek Pearson
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
              haha welcome to the believers :) Now spread that word around!!
              Whenever I see people on bike forums trying to nitpick any little thing about the xtracycle, I just want to shake them and say
              "JUST TRY IT" They just don't know what they are missing!

              Congrats on your new discovery and have fun

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/join

                  mailto:rootsradicals- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                  mailto: rootsradicals- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com