Re:E-assist

  • alan wade
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2011
      try cycle 9. they specialize in both cargo and e bikes. i have a hebb ebike that i am going to put a free radical on. i have spoken with them on the phone and they were very helpful....

    • texy6662000
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2011
        I have a big dummy that I put a stokemonkey on, works pretty well, was a bit finicky to install in the smaller rear triangle of my big dummy but not too big a deal.

        Up some pretty steep hills I can go about 6MPH with the added stokemonkey (I also have a nuvinci hub so all this stuff adds a bit of weight!)

        tex
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

        > Sorry for the cross-posting
        > I know this has been covered ad-nausea, but I wanted to see if folks might
        > have some recommendation without the negative crap that sometimes goes along
        > with this.
        > I have an old aluminum mtb frame with a 27" X that I am considering adding
        > an electric assist to. My commute one way is 22 miles with some major
        > Colorado hills towards the end and I am thinking I am can make this commute
        > more realistic with assist. I have no idea on price or anything, but I would
        > swing up to 1K for this outfit.
        > --
        > In Frith,
        > Devin
        > My blood is not my own,
        > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
        > to generations yet unborn.

      • takijeep
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2011
          Hi there, just some info from my recent electrification. For a grand look to someone like E-Bikekit.com, I've got a 27-30 pound bike pre kit and a 300 pound body on top o that. On level ground with no input from me it will pull me along at 15-17 mph max, the trick is I can put out 10-12 mph worth of effort and go at that 15-17 rate. I think your one real compromise will be the battery, LifePo 10 amp hour is around 450-650 lead acid can get down to ~200 just make sure to order high drain versions! On the battery I use (10ah, lifePo) the ads say 12-24 miles w/o and with effort, I as a non athlete have gotten 40+ miles on rolling hills. If nothing else your knees will thank you now and later!

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

          > Sorry for the cross-posting
          > I know this has been covered ad-nausea, but I wanted to see if folks might
          > have some recommendation without the negative crap that sometimes goes along
          > with this.
          > I have an old aluminum mtb frame with a 27" X that I am considering adding
          > an electric assist to. My commute one way is 22 miles with some major
          > Colorado hills towards the end and I am thinking I am can make this commute
          > more realistic with assist. I have no idea on price or anything, but I would
          > swing up to 1K for this outfit.
          > --
          > In Frith,
          > Devin
          > My blood is not my own,
          > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
          > to generations yet unborn.

        • TIM_H
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2011
            Devin,

            Try the site linked they have some really "in the know" bike riders whom can help with the best and cost effective electric bikes.There are several but the one I know more personally is member Icecube57.
            Simply be specific with em on your needs to go forward.Good luck.

            Icecube57 thread http://tinyurl.com/4lk32se

            Website,once there scroll down till you see Electric Bicycle Header
            (E-Bike General Discussion is a good place to start)

            http://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

            > Sorry for the cross-posting
            > I know this has been covered ad-nausea, but I wanted to see if folks might
            > have some recommendation without the negative crap that sometimes goes along
            > with this.
            > I have an old aluminum mtb frame with a 27" X that I am considering adding
            > an electric assist to. My commute one way is 22 miles with some major
            > Colorado hills towards the end and I am thinking I am can make this commute
            > more realistic with assist. I have no idea on price or anything, but I would
            > swing up to 1K for this outfit.
            > --
            > In Frith,
            > Devin
            > My blood is not my own,
            > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
            > to generations yet unborn.

          • Steven
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2011
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "takijeep" <takijeep@...> wrote:

              > Hi there, just some info from my recent electrification. For a grand look to someone like E-Bikekit.com, I've got a 27-30 pound bike pre kit and a 300 pound body on top o that. On level ground with no input from me it will pull me along at 15-17 mph max, the trick is I can put out 10-12 mph worth of effort and go at that 15-17 rate. I think your one real compromise will be the battery, LifePo 10 amp hour is around 450-650 lead acid can get down to ~200 just make sure to order high drain versions! On the battery I use (10ah, lifePo) the ads say 12-24 miles w/o and with effort, I as a non athlete have gotten 40+ miles on rolling hills. If nothing else your knees will thank you now and later!
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sorry for the cross-posting
              > > I know this has been covered ad-nausea, but I wanted to see if folks might
              > > have some recommendation without the negative crap that sometimes goes along
              > > with this.
              > > I have an old aluminum mtb frame with a 27" X that I am considering adding
              > > an electric assist to. My commute one way is 22 miles with some major
              > > Colorado hills towards the end and I am thinking I am can make this commute
              > > more realistic with assist. I have no idea on price or anything, but I would
              > > swing up to 1K for this outfit.
              > > --
              > > In Frith,
              > > Devin
              > > My blood is not my own,
              > > but a gift borrowed from my ancestors,
              > > to generations yet unborn.

              I've got a rear hub drive on a Kona Shred with an extracycle that i use for commuting daily- only 6mi each way but includes 1500 feet of climbing on the way back. The thing changed my life...SOOO much more fun to ride now- and i'm a "serious" cyclist (riding 5K mi a year on a road bike). Just last week i toted home a 50# bag of dog food! Combine that with riding my daughter to school, and it is awesome
              I got my kit from http://www.gocarlite.com/ around $700 complete.
              it is an Amped hub, but a different battery. I went with rear hub instead of front after trying a few- the front just felt too strange.

              I started the experiment with a Redline alum cross bike--but with the x it was too flexy. with just the hub motor it was fine...
            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2011
                I have a Stokemonkey and love it.

              • BrianL
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2011
                  My commute is 25 miles each way with a couple of small hills. I put an EZEE rear hub motor from cycle 9 on my xtra about a year and half ago. It has made the difference between me riding my bike to work or driving. In my opinion e assist is the perfect compliment to an xtracycle. If you do buy a kit make sure you get a big enough battery, I recently upgraded from 48v 10ah to 48v 20ah, I really wish I would have bought a bigger one to start with.