Re: New member

  • Larry Clarkberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
      Welcome Rob. I started out on the cargo biking path with a road bike and a B.O.B. trailer. I never ended up using the trailer much. (The big yellow waterproof bag that came with it was a big hit though!) I think just the minor inconvenience of having to hook it up before a ride to the grocery store made me avoid using it. Now that I have a Big Dummy I've never looked back. And after adding a Stokemonkey motor a couple of years ago I now have a vehicle that would be difficult to match for utility-per-weight value. I'm getting into the electric side of electric cargo biking. I have to say I've been spending more time on http://visforvoltage.org/ and http://endless-sphere.com/forums/ than this forum, and I'm using my soldering iron more than my allen wrenches.

      -Larry

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rltilley" <rltilley@...> wrote:

      > Just thought I'd introduce myself as I just joined the list. I've been cycling for years & have a number of bikes but it seems that reality has struck hard lately & I have become virtually a 100% utility cyclist.
      >
      > I have various panniers, saddlebags, racks, trailers, etc. but I never seem to have the right combination of bike + bag to get what I need home without overstuffing a bag or ending up having to carry grocery bags on the handlebars.
      >
      > I finally had enough & purchased a Big Dummy. I should have the fork installed this weekend & I will take my maiden trip on it then as well (likely to the liquor store for a nice assortment of bombers). Hoping to learn from the cargo bike veterans & hope to have my own advice to give soon as well.
      >
      > Robert Tilley
      > San Diego, CA

    • Philip Chase
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
        You did the right thing.  My Big Dummy is the only bike I ride.  My road bike is for sale on Craigslist after years of no use.

        The big dummy is mighty close to a perfect bike.  If it had a chain case or even a chain guard I'd be a little happier with it.  Maybe some day I'll strip it down, and have a bike builder a chain case, powder coat it fire engine red, and add some pin striping.  Put it back together with an IGH and it'd be perfect. :-)

        Philip

        On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM, rltilley <rltilley@...> wrote:

        Just thought I'd introduce myself as I just joined the list. I've been cycling for years & have a number of bikes but it seems that reality has struck hard lately & I have become virtually a 100% utility cyclist.

        I have various panniers, saddlebags, racks, trailers, etc. but I never seem to have the right combination of bike + bag to get what I need home without overstuffing a bag or ending up having to carry grocery bags on the handlebars.

        I finally had enough & purchased a Big Dummy. I should have the fork installed this weekend & I will take my maiden trip on it then as well (likely to the liquor store for a nice assortment of bombers). Hoping to learn from the cargo bike veterans & hope to have my own advice to give soon as well.

        Robert Tilley
        San Diego, CA

      • Mark Brenner
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
          Hi free rads, longtailers, x ers,

          I'm new two and have been perusing your photos for great ideas! I'm a painter living in Bklyn, work at a gallery in soho, and you know those artist types, always pickin junk up...
          My kit is on it's way!!!! I'll be ridding over the willy B, I'll share my ride & adventures with you soon!

          ~ marko

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
            PS

            I pre- ordered early January, saw my first x in just before Christmas, and this was a present to myself... It's been torture waiting to unwrap it, watching you having so much fun....
            Ride on, live long(tail), god save the Xtra!

            ~marko