Re: [rootsradicals] Re: First experience with TerraCycle Big Dummy idler

  • Andrew Kreps
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
      I've always admired the
      photos of bikes with beautifully shiny chains and wondered--how do they
      use these bikes AND keep the chains and gears shiny like that?

      I'm pretty sure they never ride in rain.  I have to lube up my chain about every other day this time of the year, and you can forget about cleaning.  It's a lost cause.  :)
    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 11, 2011
        I use Planet Bike fenders--29ers, not ones for 26" wheels--per Vik's or Pheadrus's recommendation. They have a mud flap and I have them mounted close to my 2.5" Hookworms. I ride in mud, silt, rain, dust, even light snow and salt and I remain almost dry completely spray-free. Something isn't right if you have fenders and experience wearing so much road during your ride.

        David

        When I bike home, I have to wash the grit from
        my face and from my nostrils. I always wear a bandanna so I don't have
        to wash the grit from my hair.
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 11, 2011
          I've got the Planet Bike fenders (or whatever it was Xtracycle was
          selling about 5 years ago)--but for 26" wheels, so I added the soda
          bottle mud flap. Maybe something softer and more flappy will do better,
          maybe something cut from a car inner tube...

          What's not right is Taichung air quality! A lot of that grit is wind
          blown. Taichung is Taiwan's Windy City. A lot of that grit is kicked
          up by passing cars, trucks, and motorbikes. Taichung is in a fairly
          constant state of construction and renovation. Most of Taichung's
          energy comes from coal burning and garbage burning plants. Taichung
          also gets grit from dust storms beginning in China's deserts.

          It's mainly the grit from the knees down that gets kicked up by my own
          bike's front wheel. The rest of the grit is just just out there. I get
          the same grit in the same places when riding my husband's 150 cc Yamaha
          motorbike.

          CL
          who wears her rain gear tight around her face because passing cars can
          kick up ear-cleaning tsunamis.