Re: [rootsradicals] Re: First experience with TerraCycle Big Dummy idler

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
      I got that chain guard from Velo-Orange, and it was not cheap. I use the rule that when I spend money on my car, I get to spend money on my bike. Keeps the car running, and the bike nice.

      I rather wish the idler wasn't necessary, but to clear the kickback, it is, and the kickback is a rather large win, too. Makes life a little better with a really worn chain, too.

      One possibility, I suppose, is to run the drive train straight, and position the return chain directly underneath. This would cut back a little on the chances for guard rub and greasy pants, but it would then be somewhat more likely that I would lose the chain from the front ring (this has happened). OR, buy a second idler mount, and run them one above the other. ($pend, $pend, $pend).

      On 2011-03-10, at 8:49 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

      > I'd appreciate some way to do a chain guard, so David Chase's photos are
      > inspirational. Maybe I'll try cutting up a few more soda bottles...
      >
      > CL
    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
        On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
        I've always admired the
        photos of bikes with beautifully shiny chains and wondered--how do they
        use these bikes AND keep the chains and gears shiny like that?

        I'm pretty sure they never ride in rain.  I have to lube up my chain about every other day this time of the year, and you can forget about cleaning.  It's a lost cause.  :)
      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 11, 2011
          I use Planet Bike fenders--29ers, not ones for 26" wheels--per Vik's or Pheadrus's recommendation. They have a mud flap and I have them mounted close to my 2.5" Hookworms. I ride in mud, silt, rain, dust, even light snow and salt and I remain almost dry completely spray-free. Something isn't right if you have fenders and experience wearing so much road during your ride.

          David

          When I bike home, I have to wash the grit from
          my face and from my nostrils. I always wear a bandanna so I don't have
          to wash the grit from my hair.
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 11, 2011
            I've got the Planet Bike fenders (or whatever it was Xtracycle was
            selling about 5 years ago)--but for 26" wheels, so I added the soda
            bottle mud flap. Maybe something softer and more flappy will do better,
            maybe something cut from a car inner tube...

            What's not right is Taichung air quality! A lot of that grit is wind
            blown. Taichung is Taiwan's Windy City. A lot of that grit is kicked
            up by passing cars, trucks, and motorbikes. Taichung is in a fairly
            constant state of construction and renovation. Most of Taichung's
            energy comes from coal burning and garbage burning plants. Taichung
            also gets grit from dust storms beginning in China's deserts.

            It's mainly the grit from the knees down that gets kicked up by my own
            bike's front wheel. The rest of the grit is just just out there. I get
            the same grit in the same places when riding my husband's 150 cc Yamaha
            motorbike.

            CL
            who wears her rain gear tight around her face because passing cars can
            kick up ear-cleaning tsunamis.