Re: [rootsradicals] New member

  • Andrew Kreps
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
      On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM, rltilley <rltilley@...> wrote:
      I have various panniers, saddlebags, racks, trailers, etc. but I never seem to have the right combination of bike + bag to get what I need home without overstuffing a bag or ending up having to carry grocery bags on the handlebars.

      I finally had enough & purchased a Big Dummy.  I should have the fork installed this weekend & I will take my maiden trip on it then as well (likely to the liquor store for a nice assortment of bombers).

      Welcome to the party!  If you're anything like me, you'll spent the evening before your first ride loading it up with everything you could possibly need, and laughing while doing it.  :)

      After starting to ride my Big Dummy, my road bike started collecting dust.  2 years later, that's still the case.  I haven't been this happy with a bike since my first BMX model many, many years ago.
    • ama3655@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
        Welcome Aboard Robert!

        As another long time cyclist who's made a successful transition to the Big Dummy let me offer a piece of advice.

        Forget the bombers. Ride up to Escondido and grab a couple kegs from Stone. I'd recommend a keg of Double Bastard and a keg of Ruination Ale. Let me know how it works out, and if you ever need help during the consumption phase I'm there.

        FatRob

        In a message dated 3/9/2011 7:48:49 P.M. Central Standard Time, rltilley@... writes:
        Just thought I'd introduce myself as I just joined the list. I've been cycling for years & have a number of bikes but it seems that reality has struck hard lately & I have become virtually a 100% utility cyclist.

        I have various panniers, saddlebags, racks, trailers, etc. but I never seem to have the right combination of bike + bag to get what I need home without overstuffing a bag or ending up having to carry grocery bags on the handlebars.

        I finally had enough & purchased a Big Dummy. I should have the fork installed this weekend & I will take my maiden trip on it then as well (likely to the liquor store for a nice assortment of bombers). Hoping to learn from the cargo bike veterans & hope to have my own advice to give soon as well.

        Robert Tilley
        San Diego, CA

      • Larry Clarkberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
          Welcome Rob. I started out on the cargo biking path with a road bike and a B.O.B. trailer. I never ended up using the trailer much. (The big yellow waterproof bag that came with it was a big hit though!) I think just the minor inconvenience of having to hook it up before a ride to the grocery store made me avoid using it. Now that I have a Big Dummy I've never looked back. And after adding a Stokemonkey motor a couple of years ago I now have a vehicle that would be difficult to match for utility-per-weight value. I'm getting into the electric side of electric cargo biking. I have to say I've been spending more time on http://visforvoltage.org/ and http://endless-sphere.com/forums/ than this forum, and I'm using my soldering iron more than my allen wrenches.

          -Larry

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rltilley" <rltilley@...> wrote:

          > Just thought I'd introduce myself as I just joined the list. I've been cycling for years & have a number of bikes but it seems that reality has struck hard lately & I have become virtually a 100% utility cyclist.
          >
          > I have various panniers, saddlebags, racks, trailers, etc. but I never seem to have the right combination of bike + bag to get what I need home without overstuffing a bag or ending up having to carry grocery bags on the handlebars.
          >
          > I finally had enough & purchased a Big Dummy. I should have the fork installed this weekend & I will take my maiden trip on it then as well (likely to the liquor store for a nice assortment of bombers). Hoping to learn from the cargo bike veterans & hope to have my own advice to give soon as well.
          >
          > Robert Tilley
          > San Diego, CA

        • Philip Chase
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
            You did the right thing.  My Big Dummy is the only bike I ride.  My road bike is for sale on Craigslist after years of no use.

            The big dummy is mighty close to a perfect bike.  If it had a chain case or even a chain guard I'd be a little happier with it.  Maybe some day I'll strip it down, and have a bike builder a chain case, powder coat it fire engine red, and add some pin striping.  Put it back together with an IGH and it'd be perfect. :-)

            Philip

            On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM, rltilley <rltilley@...> wrote:

            Just thought I'd introduce myself as I just joined the list. I've been cycling for years & have a number of bikes but it seems that reality has struck hard lately & I have become virtually a 100% utility cyclist.

            I have various panniers, saddlebags, racks, trailers, etc. but I never seem to have the right combination of bike + bag to get what I need home without overstuffing a bag or ending up having to carry grocery bags on the handlebars.

            I finally had enough & purchased a Big Dummy. I should have the fork installed this weekend & I will take my maiden trip on it then as well (likely to the liquor store for a nice assortment of bombers). Hoping to learn from the cargo bike veterans & hope to have my own advice to give soon as well.

            Robert Tilley
            San Diego, CA

          • Mark Brenner
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
              Hi free rads, longtailers, x ers,

              I'm new two and have been perusing your photos for great ideas! I'm a painter living in Bklyn, work at a gallery in soho, and you know those artist types, always pickin junk up...
              My kit is on it's way!!!! I'll be ridding over the willy B, I'll share my ride & adventures with you soon!

              ~ marko

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
                PS

                I pre- ordered early January, saw my first x in just before Christmas, and this was a present to myself... It's been torture waiting to unwrap it, watching you having so much fun....
                Ride on, live long(tail), god save the Xtra!

                ~marko