Re: [rootsradicals] Re: First experience with TerraCycle Big Dummy idler

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 8, 2011
      On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
      > Pictures:
      >
      > http://gallery.me.com/dr2chase#100293

      Love the handlebar tape and the zipties to reduce rub on the tubes.
      Ideas I'd never thought of.
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 8, 2011
        Update, with more riding in.

        1) I simplified the spoke assembly, keeping only the upper spoke, and bending it so that it would not rub the edge of the pulley (it did that sometimes, made noise).

        2) My shoe sometimes caught the lower spoke.

        3) Not too much rubbing, though long term, I think I will want to cut away a little more of the chainguard, and somehow attach something that is slightly bowed (I imagine, aluminum flashing, perhaps attacked with pop rivets or small nuts and screws) to protect my pants and also give chain clearance.

        4) Not much noise from the pulley, certainly not compared to the (snow) tires and the stretched chain in tension on the rear cog and front chainring. That's getting a little disturbing, to the point that I went and found the new chain that I intend to install "real soon now".

        5) NO CHAIN SKIP AT ALL. This had been a problem, sometimes, intermittently, with the old chain especially, when I stomped hard on the pedals.

        David
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
          I've got fenders (Planet Bike, I think; via Xtracycle several years ago)
          with mud flaps with additional mud flaps cut from 2L soda bottles and I
          still get spray up as high as my knees.

          I only do 'road' biking, but the road is sometimes dubious. The road is
          always some sort of paved, but it always has construction, and always
          has all sorts of grit. When I bike home, I have to wash the grit from
          my face and from my nostrils. I always wear a bandanna so I don't have
          to wash the grit from my hair. And, I always have to wear glasses or
          sunglasses--just to keep the grit out of my eyes. One source of the
          grit are dust storms from China's deserts.

          So, conditions here in Taichung, Taiwan, are just bad for chains (not to
          mention we're a coastal city with salt air). I've always admired the
          photos of bikes with beautifully shiny chains and wondered--how do they
          use these bikes AND keep the chains and gears shiny like that?

          I guess you could say I replace my chain whenever it starts breaking.
          Reading all these emails inspires me to clean it more and to replace it
          more.

          I'd appreciate some way to do a chain guard, so David Chase's photos are
          inspirational. Maybe I'll try cutting up a few more soda bottles...

          CL

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
            I got that chain guard from Velo-Orange, and it was not cheap. I use the rule that when I spend money on my car, I get to spend money on my bike. Keeps the car running, and the bike nice.

            I rather wish the idler wasn't necessary, but to clear the kickback, it is, and the kickback is a rather large win, too. Makes life a little better with a really worn chain, too.

            One possibility, I suppose, is to run the drive train straight, and position the return chain directly underneath. This would cut back a little on the chances for guard rub and greasy pants, but it would then be somewhat more likely that I would lose the chain from the front ring (this has happened). OR, buy a second idler mount, and run them one above the other. ($pend, $pend, $pend).

            On 2011-03-10, at 8:49 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

            > I'd appreciate some way to do a chain guard, so David Chase's photos are
            > inspirational. Maybe I'll try cutting up a few more soda bottles...
            >
            > CL
          • Andrew Kreps
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
              On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
              I've always admired the
              photos of bikes with beautifully shiny chains and wondered--how do they
              use these bikes AND keep the chains and gears shiny like that?

              I'm pretty sure they never ride in rain.  I have to lube up my chain about every other day this time of the year, and you can forget about cleaning.  It's a lost cause.  :)
            • David Dannenberg

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 11, 2011
                  I've got the Planet Bike fenders (or whatever it was Xtracycle was
                  selling about 5 years ago)--but for 26" wheels, so I added the soda
                  bottle mud flap. Maybe something softer and more flappy will do better,
                  maybe something cut from a car inner tube...

                  What's not right is Taichung air quality! A lot of that grit is wind
                  blown. Taichung is Taiwan's Windy City. A lot of that grit is kicked
                  up by passing cars, trucks, and motorbikes. Taichung is in a fairly
                  constant state of construction and renovation. Most of Taichung's
                  energy comes from coal burning and garbage burning plants. Taichung
                  also gets grit from dust storms beginning in China's deserts.

                  It's mainly the grit from the knees down that gets kicked up by my own
                  bike's front wheel. The rest of the grit is just just out there. I get
                  the same grit in the same places when riding my husband's 150 cc Yamaha
                  motorbike.

                  CL
                  who wears her rain gear tight around her face because passing cars can
                  kick up ear-cleaning tsunamis.