First experience with TerraCycle Big Dummy idler

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
      This is hooked up to a Shimano Alfine hub, also I have a chaincase (Velo Orange) for keeping my pants clean.

      Seems to work; I put it lower than they recommend, I think because my largest (and only) chainring is a 38, and the chaincase clearance is very, very tight. I cut away part of it to add clearance.

      Clearance is pretty tight in the back, to the shifting cable mount, too. Following their installation height advice would probably improve the shifter clearance a little, but make the chaincase clearance a little worse. I plan to try flipping it around so that the idler is to the rear of the tube, which ought to improve both just a little bit, if it fits in the available space.

      A corollary of the tight chaincase clearance, is that I think there is a risk of grease-on-pants. I'm going to try to make something that doesn't look too awful, using spokes threaded through holes, in minor tension back to the idler, to attempt to keep pants from flopping into the chain.

      David
    • jtrops
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
        Do you have a photo?

        I'd like to see how the idler looks. I know what you mean about space. I have a 36t chainwheel on mine, and it just didn't get the chain high enough to have the return chain going over the tube without hitting the active chain. You may be right about getting more room to play behind the tube as it would put the idler closer to the center of the chain.

        I'd also like to see how the chainguard looks. I was thinking about putting one on my Dummy.
      • ama3655@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
          In a message dated 3/7/2011 9:06:13 A.M. Central Standard Time, jtrops@... writes:
          I'd also like to see how the chainguard looks. I was thinking about putting one on my Dummy.

          +1. I'd really like to be able to run a full chain guard on my Dummy.

          FatRob
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
            I'll work on a photo (I'm at work now). The idler, seems pretty good, note that I am running with the slightest bend on the drive side, which should do a lot to reduce changes in the chain line, deformation, etc.

            The clearances on the chain case are darn tight; if I could find a better fitting crank with similarly low tread (it's a Sugino RD2 track crank), I would. I think there's 1-2 mm clearance at multiple points. The upside is, when the clearance goes wrong, it's just noisy.

            Flipping around behind looks like I might have chain-fender clearance issues. Sigh. And the chain, near the end of the winter, is just filthy, so working on this is just awful. I may just give it a few hundred miles of use to see how it works in this setup.

            David

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
              After looking at the VO chaincase I think I may just go with a BMX style chainguard. It doesn't go all of the way around the chainwheel, but it seems like maintenance might be easier.

              Still, I'd like to see how it looks.

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
                Pictures:

                http://gallery.me.com/dr2chase#100293

                I cut away some of the chain guard to avoid chain rub.
                And all the holes, for the spokes (pants diverters) and for the bootlace holding it tight against the homemade PVC mount, those are nonstandard, too.

                Commentary later....

                David
              • ama3655@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
                    Thanks for the photo's.  It makes it much easier to see how it all goes together.

                    Does the idler pulley make extra noise due to the bend in the chain line?  The pvc mount is clever.  I may have to borrow that idea at some point.

                    I'm not as concerned about my pants as I am about getting more life out of my chain.  VikB suggested fenders with mud flaps as part of the solution, and I thought that maybe a chainguard would further protect the chain from front tire splash.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
                      On 2011-03-07, at 6:45 PM, TeamJT wrote:
                      > Does the idler pulley make extra noise due to the bend in the chain line? The pvc mount is clever. I may have to borrow that idea at some point.

                      Not really; I've got very little bend on the load pulley, and the other one, is urethane.

                      > I'm not as concerned about my pants as I am about getting more life out of my chain. VikB suggested fenders with mud flaps as part of the solution, and I thought that maybe a chainguard would further protect the chain from front tire splash.

                      I want a bike that is just ready to go, always, no matter what. It should replace a car. So, I don't want greasy legs. I have fenders front and rear, and a front mud flap, and the chaincase provides some shielding (used to provide more, I had a thin piece of plastic on the backside), and there's still grit everywhere. I am not sure whether it comes form that long low chain run, or if there's a fair amount of sand kicking around inside the rear wheel fender area.

                      David
                    • Rich W
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 7, 2011
                        The always ready to go criteria does not work with ANY complex mechanical item, including cars. They all require maintenance and have items that will wear out and will continue to do so as long as made up of multiple mechanical parts.

                        From a theoretical standpoint a single speed steel frame bike using good quality track hubs, heavy duty aluminum rims, large gauge stainless spokes, a high end headset and freewheel and 1/8" drivetrain and chain should be ultra reliable if properly built. It will last even better if you can get a full chaincase for it. This is basically the standard configuration of European utility bikes for the last 100+ years and many of those seem to go practically forever with minimal TLC.

                        Adding derailleurs or an IGH will almost certainly decrease reliability, at least slightly, while increasing versatility. Your call regarding the best compromize for you.

                        As a retired Reliability Engineer for Xerox I can guarantee that the general rule of thumb for ultimate reliability is KISS. Every added component has it's own failure rate which adds to the total overall risk of failure of the complete assembly.

                        Rich Wood

                        > On 2011-03-07, at 6:45 PM, TeamJT wrote:
                        > > Does the idler pulley make extra noise due to the bend in the chain line? The pvc mount is clever. I may have to borrow that idea at some point.
                        >
                        > Not really; I've got very little bend on the load pulley, and the other one, is urethane.
                        >
                        > > I'm not as concerned about my pants as I am about getting more life out of my chain. VikB suggested fenders with mud flaps as part of the solution, and I thought that maybe a chainguard would further protect the chain from front tire splash.
                        >
                        > I want a bike that is just ready to go, always, no matter what. It should replace a car. So, I don't want greasy legs. I have fenders front and rear, and a front mud flap, and the chaincase provides some shielding (used to provide more, I had a thin piece of plastic on the backside), and there's still grit everywhere. I am not sure whether it comes form that long low chain run, or if there's a fair amount of sand kicking around inside the rear wheel fender area.
                        >
                        > David

                      • David Backeberg
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 8, 2011
                          On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                          > Pictures:
                          >
                          > http://gallery.me.com/dr2chase#100293

                          Love the handlebar tape and the zipties to reduce rub on the tubes.
                          Ideas I'd never thought of.
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 8, 2011
                            Update, with more riding in.

                            1) I simplified the spoke assembly, keeping only the upper spoke, and bending it so that it would not rub the edge of the pulley (it did that sometimes, made noise).

                            2) My shoe sometimes caught the lower spoke.

                            3) Not too much rubbing, though long term, I think I will want to cut away a little more of the chainguard, and somehow attach something that is slightly bowed (I imagine, aluminum flashing, perhaps attacked with pop rivets or small nuts and screws) to protect my pants and also give chain clearance.

                            4) Not much noise from the pulley, certainly not compared to the (snow) tires and the stretched chain in tension on the rear cog and front chainring. That's getting a little disturbing, to the point that I went and found the new chain that I intend to install "real soon now".

                            5) NO CHAIN SKIP AT ALL. This had been a problem, sometimes, intermittently, with the old chain especially, when I stomped hard on the pedals.

                            David
                          • Cara Lin Bridgman
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
                              I've got fenders (Planet Bike, I think; via Xtracycle several years ago)
                              with mud flaps with additional mud flaps cut from 2L soda bottles and I
                              still get spray up as high as my knees.

                              I only do 'road' biking, but the road is sometimes dubious. The road is
                              always some sort of paved, but it always has construction, and always
                              has all sorts of grit. When I bike home, I have to wash the grit from
                              my face and from my nostrils. I always wear a bandanna so I don't have
                              to wash the grit from my hair. And, I always have to wear glasses or
                              sunglasses--just to keep the grit out of my eyes. One source of the
                              grit are dust storms from China's deserts.

                              So, conditions here in Taichung, Taiwan, are just bad for chains (not to
                              mention we're a coastal city with salt air). I've always admired the
                              photos of bikes with beautifully shiny chains and wondered--how do they
                              use these bikes AND keep the chains and gears shiny like that?

                              I guess you could say I replace my chain whenever it starts breaking.
                              Reading all these emails inspires me to clean it more and to replace it
                              more.

                              I'd appreciate some way to do a chain guard, so David Chase's photos are
                              inspirational. Maybe I'll try cutting up a few more soda bottles...

                              CL

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
                                I got that chain guard from Velo-Orange, and it was not cheap. I use the rule that when I spend money on my car, I get to spend money on my bike. Keeps the car running, and the bike nice.

                                I rather wish the idler wasn't necessary, but to clear the kickback, it is, and the kickback is a rather large win, too. Makes life a little better with a really worn chain, too.

                                One possibility, I suppose, is to run the drive train straight, and position the return chain directly underneath. This would cut back a little on the chances for guard rub and greasy pants, but it would then be somewhat more likely that I would lose the chain from the front ring (this has happened). OR, buy a second idler mount, and run them one above the other. ($pend, $pend, $pend).

                                On 2011-03-10, at 8:49 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

                                > I'd appreciate some way to do a chain guard, so David Chase's photos are
                                > inspirational. Maybe I'll try cutting up a few more soda bottles...
                                >
                                > CL
                              • Andrew Kreps
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 10, 2011
                                  On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
                                  I've always admired the
                                  photos of bikes with beautifully shiny chains and wondered--how do they
                                  use these bikes AND keep the chains and gears shiny like that?

                                  I'm pretty sure they never ride in rain.  I have to lube up my chain about every other day this time of the year, and you can forget about cleaning.  It's a lost cause.  :)
                                • David Dannenberg

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 11, 2011
                                      I've got the Planet Bike fenders (or whatever it was Xtracycle was
                                      selling about 5 years ago)--but for 26" wheels, so I added the soda
                                      bottle mud flap. Maybe something softer and more flappy will do better,
                                      maybe something cut from a car inner tube...

                                      What's not right is Taichung air quality! A lot of that grit is wind
                                      blown. Taichung is Taiwan's Windy City. A lot of that grit is kicked
                                      up by passing cars, trucks, and motorbikes. Taichung is in a fairly
                                      constant state of construction and renovation. Most of Taichung's
                                      energy comes from coal burning and garbage burning plants. Taichung
                                      also gets grit from dust storms beginning in China's deserts.

                                      It's mainly the grit from the knees down that gets kicked up by my own
                                      bike's front wheel. The rest of the grit is just just out there. I get
                                      the same grit in the same places when riding my husband's 150 cc Yamaha
                                      motorbike.

                                      CL
                                      who wears her rain gear tight around her face because passing cars can
                                      kick up ear-cleaning tsunamis.