Re: trailer hitch for Xtracycle bike kit to carry scuba/ metaldetector equip.

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 11:49 PM
      This is a long shot, but something you may want to look into is the Burley "Alternative Hitch, Nutted Axle." Of course, this would require you to be using a bolt-on hub rather than quick release (you didn't mention which you're using). It's essentially an axle nut and swiveling hitch in one, and very robust. For what you're describing, using one of these on each side of the hub would give you a super tough mounting setup for a heavy trailer with truly free pivoting up and down. You'd be on the hook for figuring out how to allow the trailer to pivot side to side via a hinge point on the custom 'Y' yoke you're thinking of building.

      Oh, the longshot part? Burley stopped selling this piece a couple of years ago. There were two sizes available, but only one is available online with some scouring of the web. I've found a couple laying around in local bike shops, so it's worth hitting up your local Burly dealers.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidhillbenz@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I live in Ottawa Canada am installing xtracycle for spring would like to install heavy duty trailer hitch at rear (at present hitch is clamped on left side of electrified bike) carry over 250 lbs of equip but piled very high-thus kit needed to lower 4 batteries and stuff on bike xtracycle rear end looks like it would flex side to side. will have to modify Chariot hitch arm to 2 arms -like a inverted Y.any suggestion?,plans?
      >
      > Thanks, David

    • David Hill
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22 6:41 AM
        Thanks for the info, i'll check into it ,sounds like what i could use it's rather hard to find info on just ''home made'' trailer/ hitches

        To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        From: speedub.nate@...
        Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 07:49:01 +0000
        Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: trailer hitch for Xtracycle bike kit to carry scuba/ metaldetector equip.