trailer hitch for Xtracycle bike kit to carry scuba/ metaldetector equip.

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4 7:06 AM
      Hello,

      I live in Ottawa Canada am installing xtracycle for spring would like to install heavy duty trailer hitch at rear (at present hitch is clamped on left side of electrified bike) carry over 250 lbs of equip but piled very high-thus kit needed to lower 4 batteries and stuff on bike xtracycle rear end looks like it would flex side to side. will have to modify Chariot hitch arm to 2 arms -like a inverted Y.any suggestion?,plans?

      Thanks, David
    • WT
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5 3:51 AM
        David,

        I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're after but I am currently working on a universal hitch design that would bolt on the xtracycle and give users a tongue/drop pin mount (a standard hitch attachment point so you can hook up a utility trailer or mount a ball for a ball joint hitch), a bike trailer mount, tow-a-bike towing capabilities, and a universal attachment point for my own add-ons. I don't have it available for sell yet but it is the next product I have slated to complete so I should have prototypes very soon. If you're interested please let me know, perhaps I can arrange for you to be a beta tester for the hitch. I would also like to make sure I understand exactly what you need.

        Thanks,
        Wes

        P.S. – I don't think I'm supposed to specifically promote my business on this forum so I'm not going to mention it here. David, please email me wes@... if you're interested.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidhillbenz@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I live in Ottawa Canada am installing xtracycle for spring would like to install heavy duty trailer hitch at rear (at present hitch is clamped on left side of electrified bike) carry over 250 lbs of equip but piled very high-thus kit needed to lower 4 batteries and stuff on bike xtracycle rear end looks like it would flex side to side. will have to modify Chariot hitch arm to 2 arms -like a inverted Y.any suggestion?,plans?
        >
        > Thanks, David

      • speedub_nate
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5 11:49 PM
          This is a long shot, but something you may want to look into is the Burley "Alternative Hitch, Nutted Axle." Of course, this would require you to be using a bolt-on hub rather than quick release (you didn't mention which you're using). It's essentially an axle nut and swiveling hitch in one, and very robust. For what you're describing, using one of these on each side of the hub would give you a super tough mounting setup for a heavy trailer with truly free pivoting up and down. You'd be on the hook for figuring out how to allow the trailer to pivot side to side via a hinge point on the custom 'Y' yoke you're thinking of building.

          Oh, the longshot part? Burley stopped selling this piece a couple of years ago. There were two sizes available, but only one is available online with some scouring of the web. I've found a couple laying around in local bike shops, so it's worth hitting up your local Burly dealers.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidhillbenz@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I live in Ottawa Canada am installing xtracycle for spring would like to install heavy duty trailer hitch at rear (at present hitch is clamped on left side of electrified bike) carry over 250 lbs of equip but piled very high-thus kit needed to lower 4 batteries and stuff on bike xtracycle rear end looks like it would flex side to side. will have to modify Chariot hitch arm to 2 arms -like a inverted Y.any suggestion?,plans?
          >
          > Thanks, David

        • David Hill
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22 6:41 AM
            Thanks for the info, i'll check into it ,sounds like what i could use it's rather hard to find info on just ''home made'' trailer/ hitches

            To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
            From: speedub.nate@...
            Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 07:49:01 +0000
            Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: trailer hitch for Xtracycle bike kit to carry scuba/ metaldetector equip.