Re: bikesnobnyc loves the NuVinci N360

  • jtrops
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
      I just put an old style Nuvinci n171 on my Dummy, and it is an amazing thing. If I hadn't picked it up cheap I probably would have gone for the n360. As it is I have no regrets. the weight is irrelevant, and the range is fine. In fact, I'm surprised at how good the range is. Having the ability to bump the shift a little has made my riding smoother, and to be honest I don't feel like I've sacrificed anything in my range. I had already noticed that my granny gear wasn't getting used at all before I made the switch. Granted I live in Longmont Colorado, and it's not too hilly here. If I was in the mountains I might want some lower gears, or maybe I'd put a front changer on to expand my range.

      So far my hub has done well on sub zero mornings, and I should say it has been more reliable than my derailleur was with the long chain, and the cold weather.

      At this point I'm sold on the CVP. I can't imagine building a bike with a derailleur after having ridden my n171. If my next build isn't a single speed it will probably have whatever the current incarnation of the Nuvinci happens to be.