Re: [rootsradicals] bikesnobnyc loves the NuVinci N360

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
      what would really make it, is if you could use multiple chainrings.

      On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Vik Banerjee wrote:

      Not even a Rohloff?  It's got to be pretty close.

      safe riding,

      On 2011-02-24, at 5:10 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

      my only problem with IGH's is that they don't have the gear inch range of a standard MTB drivetrain.

      On Feb 24, 2011, at 4:29 PM, Pete B wrote:

      Will he do a conversion for his Big Dummy?

      http://yfrog.com/h3u2yqxj

      This may be the coolest thing I've ridden all week:
      posted by @bikesnobnyc from Twitter for iPhone 41 mins 43 secs ago

    • Vik Banerjee
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
        A Rohloff has a service life of nearly 200,000kms so assuming you actually ride your bike a lot I wonder what the $/km cost is comparing a Rohloff to a mid-grade [say XT] MTB drivetrain.

        safe riding,

        On 2011-02-24, at 5:21 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

        Rohloffs are somewhat close...

        not close in dollars... that is for sure.
        and not close in weight either.

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
          But quite a big advantage in maintenance.

          Been running a Rohloff on my commuter for 4 years now (and a pretty mucky commute at that).

          New chain and an oil change each year is much, much less trouble. No deteriorating shifting, no annual cassette replacement. Works really well with a chain guard.

          Sure, if money/weight are critical, then a Rohloff may not be the first choice, but if you want bulletproof and low maintenance I don't see what beats it - single speed maybe.

          --Ian

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
            I have also thought about that.
            if the SpeedHub is around $1500 US, thats a whole lot of chains, cogsets, etc...
            not to mention how easy it is to find standardized parts.
            i.e.  Sram PG950 is under $40
            not to mention all the various parts available on eBay
            i.e. i just picked up an X.O rear derailleur for $80, and sold off the old X.5 shifters front and rear derailleurs for $60

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
              I'm not knocking IGH's
              there is no doubt a market
              I had been lusting for a Rohloff or maybe an Alfine 11
              but its just as easy to use a park chain scrubber...

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                The chain scrubber may be cheaper, but it's not easier! Doing nothing is a lot easier!

                Vik Banerjee
                threeohm@...
                www.thelazyrando.com

                On 2011-02-24, at 5:32 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

                > I'm not knocking IGH's
                > there is no doubt a market
                > I had been lusting for a Rohloff or maybe an Alfine 11
                > but its just as easy to use a park chain scrubber...
                >
                > On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Ian Collier wrote:
                >
                >> But quite a big advantage in maintenance.
                >>
                >> Been running a Rohloff on my commuter for 4 years now (and a pretty
                >> mucky commute at that).
                >>
                >> New chain and an oil change each year is much, much less trouble. No
                >> deteriorating shifting, no annual cassette replacement. Works really
                >> well with a chain guard.
                >>
                >> Sure, if money/weight are critical, then a Rohloff may not be the
                >> first choice, but if you want bulletproof and low maintenance I
                >> don't see what beats it - single speed maybe.
                >>
                >> --Ian
              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                  agreed.... nothing is easier

                  I suppose that's my caveat
                  I wrench on bikes
                  I just finished up with Team Exergy in SoCal
                  one night I had 14 bikes to clean in less than 2hrs... done!

                  On 2011-02-24, at 5:32 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

                  > I'm not knocking IGH's
                  > there is no doubt a market
                  > I had been lusting for a Rohloff or maybe an Alfine 11
                  > but its just as easy to use a park chain scrubber...
                  >
                  > On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Ian Collier wrote:
                  >
                  >> But quite a big advantage in maintenance.
                  >>
                  >> Been running a Rohloff on my commuter for 4 years now (and a pretty
                  >> mucky commute at that).
                  >>
                  >> New chain and an oil change each year is much, much less trouble. No
                  >> deteriorating shifting, no annual cassette replacement. Works really
                  >> well with a chain guard.
                  >>
                  >> Sure, if money/weight are critical, then a Rohloff may not be the
                  >> first choice, but if you want bulletproof and low maintenance I
                  >> don't see what beats it - single speed maybe.
                  >>
                  >> --Ian

                • Pete B
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                    It is very close.

                    My dummy before & after IGH

                    Before IGH
                    15.8 to 97.9 inches on standard XTR crankset & XTR rear cassette

                    Gear chart using Gear Inches

                    For 26 X 1.25 / 32-559 / MTB tire with 175 mm cranks

                    With Custom Sprocket(s) Cassette

                    4437.5 %3245.5 %22
                    1197.971.248.9
                    18.2 %
                    1382.860.241.4
                    15.4 %
                    1571.852.235.9
                    13.3 %
                    1763.346.131.7
                    11.8 %
                    1956.741.228.3
                    10.5 %
                    2151.337.325.6
                    9.5 %
                    2346.834.023.4
                    13.0 %
                    2641.430.120.7
                    15.4 %
                    3035.926.117.9
                    13.3 %
                    3431.723.015.8

                    After IGH
                    18.8 to 98.7 inches on the 44 tooth chainring and 13.7 to 71.8 on the 32.

                    Gear chart using Gear Inches

                    For 26 X 1.25 / 32-559 / MTB tire with 175 mm cranks

                    With Custom Sprocket(s) Cassette

                    With Rohloff 14-speed Speedhub Rear Hub

                    0.28 (Low)0.320.360.410.46 0.530.60.680.770.881.01.141.291.47 (High)
                    4437.5 %32
                    1618.813.7
                    4437.5 %32
                    1621.315.5
                    4437.5 %32
                    1624.217.6
                    4437.5 %32
                    1627.520.0
                    4437.5 %32
                    1631.222.7
                    4437.5 %32
                    1635.525.8
                    4437.5 %32
                    1640.429.4
                    4437.5 %32
                    1645.933.4
                    4437.5 %32
                    1652.137.9
                    4437.5 %32
                    1659.343.1
                    4437.5 %32
                    1667.348.9
                    4437.5 %32
                    1676.455.5
                    4437.5 %32
                    1686.963.2
                    4437.5 %32
                    1698.771.8

                    This small version of the chart can be printed, cut out, and taped to your bicycle for reference.

                    Low------------High
                    18.813.7
                    21.315.5
                    24.217.6
                    27.520.0
                    31.222.7
                    35.525.8
                    40.429.4
                    45.933.4
                    52.137.9
                    59.343.1
                    67.348.9
                    76.455.5
                    86.963.2
                    98.771.8

                    'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                      I did a dirt road tour on my Big Dummy:

                      At first it was so dusty that folks with derailleurs were having shifting issues even though it was dry out and they had to clean their chains.

                      Then it rained - a lot for many days...the guy whose tour journal got me motivated to do the ride documented him stopping several times a day during similar rains to wash his drivetrain with ditch water when he had too few gears left to keep riding.

                      My Big Dummy shifted as well on day 1 as I rode the 40km pavement section to the start of the dirt as it did after hundreds of KMs of muddy hell.  My disc brakes were next to useless there was so much mud in everything, but I kept on rolling no worries.

                      I didn't wash the drivetrain until I got home.

                      I wouldn't put a Rohloff on every bike, but for hassle free all weather riding it's hard to beat.

                      safe riding,

                      On 2011-02-24, at 5:32 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

                      > I'm not knocking IGH's
                      > there is no doubt a market
                      > I had been lusting for a Rohloff or maybe an Alfine 11
                      > but its just as easy to use a park chain scrubber...
                      >
                      > On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Ian Collier wrote:
                      >
                      >> But quite a big advantage in maintenance.
                      >>
                      >> Been running a Rohloff on my commuter for 4 years now (and a pretty
                      >> mucky commute at that).
                      >>
                      >> New chain and an oil change each year is much, much less trouble. No
                      >> deteriorating shifting, no annual cassette replacement. Works really
                      >> well with a chain guard.
                      >>
                      >> Sure, if money/weight are critical, then a Rohloff may not be the
                      >> first choice, but if you want bulletproof and low maintenance I
                      >> don't see what beats it - single speed maybe.
                      >>
                      >> --Ian

                    • Devian Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                        I've done the same.
                        rode Eureka to Morro Bay
                        across the Kings range and Sinkyone wilderness.
                        my dummy is now over 3 years old...

                        while I've lusted for a Rohloff... well...
                        I like new parts...

                        On 2011-02-24, at 5:32 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

                        > I'm not knocking IGH's
                        > there is no doubt a market
                        > I had been lusting for a Rohloff or maybe an Alfine 11
                        > but its just as easy to use a park chain scrubber...
                        >
                        > On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Ian Collier wrote:
                        >
                        >> But quite a big advantage in maintenance.
                        >>
                        >> Been running a Rohloff on my commuter for 4 years now (and a pretty
                        >> mucky commute at that).
                        >>
                        >> New chain and an oil change each year is much, much less trouble. No
                        >> deteriorating shifting, no annual cassette replacement. Works really
                        >> well with a chain guard.
                        >>
                        >> Sure, if money/weight are critical, then a Rohloff may not be the
                        >> first choice, but if you want bulletproof and low maintenance I
                        >> don't see what beats it - single speed maybe.
                        >>
                        >> --Ian

                      • Vik Banerjee
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                          Once a year I oil my IGH Surly Pugsley chain whether it needs it or not!  This year I may throw the chain out as it's so rusted, but maybe I'll keep it one more year?....=-)

                          =-)

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                            I hear you:

                            I know scott likes his IGH
                            up there in Canada at -27
                            obviously thats what it takes

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                              here's an example:

                              PG970 for $35
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-PG-970-Cassette-9-Speed-11-34-340-grams-/300525123974?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f8b17986#ht_2779wt_907

                              Truvativ firex with BB is under $130
                              http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=31723&category=381

                              two of these KMC chains at $26each... this part kind of sucks
                              http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=34953&category=2768
                              but if you only cut 1 chain, and save the long-ish length that is
                              left... in time you'll end up with another chain... i know... sounds
                              ghetto.

                              X.7 shifters at $40
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/Sram-X-7-Trigger-Shifters-9-Speed-X7-New-X-7-OEM-Pair-/230573808623?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35af451bef#ht_1592wt_1141

                              X.7 front derailleur for $15 after shipping
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-7-Front-Derailleur-34-9-Clamp-Top-Pull-btm-Swing-/270698016773?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06dbf005#ht_538wt_907

                              X.4 rear derailleur new $23
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-4-X4-X-4-Rear-Derailleur-/310297696008?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483f2f1708#ht_1439wt_907

                            • Devian Gilbert
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                                this comes in under $300, and would probably last at least 5,000 miles.

                              • Devian Gilbert
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                                  not to mention the plethora of wheels out there to freely choose from
                                  no need to build a wheel... just buy a replacement

                                • Vik Banerjee
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                                    I have no doubt derailleurs are cheaper upfront...especially if you buy what's on sale vs. buying something specific like say an XT drivetrain.

                                    My rough calcs say a Rohloff costs $3390 to run for 200,000kms which is $16.95/1000kms.

                                    I buy my bike parts mostly at my LBS so a complete drivetrain is ~$385 [not incl the actual cranks, but incl new rings]. I don't use EBay. So I could get ~9 new drivetrains out of the same $$ value as the Rohloff above and I'd have to get 22,000kms per drivetrain to break even.

                                    The catch of course is you have to use up the Rohoffs capacity or give it to someone when you die who will!....=-)

                                    Vik Banerjee
                                    threeohm@...
                                    www.thelazyrando.com

                                    On 2011-02-24, at 5:56 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

                                    > here's an example:
                                    >
                                    > PG970 for $35
                                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-PG-970-Cassette-9-Speed-11-34-340-grams-/300525123974?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f8b17986#ht_2779wt_907
                                    >
                                    > Truvativ firex with BB is under $130
                                    > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=31723&category=381
                                    >
                                    > two of these KMC chains at $26each... this part kind of sucks
                                    > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=34953&category=2768
                                    > but if you only cut 1 chain, and save the long-ish length that is
                                    > left... in time you'll end up with another chain... i know... sounds
                                    > ghetto.
                                    >
                                    > X.7 shifters at $40
                                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/Sram-X-7-Trigger-Shifters-9-Speed-X7-New-X-7-OEM-Pair-/230573808623?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35af451bef#ht_1592wt_1141
                                    >
                                    > X.7 front derailleur for $15 after shipping
                                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-7-Front-Derailleur-34-9-Clamp-Top-Pull-btm-Swing-/270698016773?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06dbf005#ht_538wt_907
                                    >
                                    > X.4 rear derailleur new $23
                                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-4-X4-X-4-Rear-Derailleur-/310297696008?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483f2f1708#ht_1439wt_907
                                    >

                                    > On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> I'm not knocking IGH's
                                    >> there is no doubt a market
                                    >> I had been lusting for a Rohloff or maybe an Alfine 11
                                    >> but its just as easy to use a park chain scrubber...
                                    >>
                                    >> On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Ian Collier wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> But quite a big advantage in maintenance.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Been running a Rohloff on my commuter for 4 years now (and a pretty
                                    >>> mucky commute at that).
                                    >>>
                                    >>> New chain and an oil change each year is much, much less trouble. No
                                    >>> deteriorating shifting, no annual cassette replacement. Works really
                                    >>> well with a chain guard.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Sure, if money/weight are critical, then a Rohloff may not be the
                                    >>> first choice, but if you want bulletproof and low maintenance I
                                    >>> don't see what beats it - single speed maybe.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> --Ian

                                  • Vik Banerjee
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                                      Sure, but my symmetrical spoke 32H Rohloff wheel is so strong I don't need to buy new wheels anytime soon.

                                      =-)

                                      Vik Banerjee
                                      threeohm@...
                                      www.thelazyrando.com

                                      On 2011-02-24, at 6:00 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

                                      > not to mention the plethora of wheels out there to freely choose from
                                      > no need to build a wheel... just buy a replacement
                                      > On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:58 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> this comes in under $300, and would probably last at least 5,000
                                      >> miles.
                                      >>
                                      >> On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> here's an example:
                                      >>>
                                      >>> PG970 for $35
                                      >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-PG-970-Cassette-9-Speed-11-34-340-grams-/300525123974?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f8b17986#ht_2779wt_907
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Truvativ firex with BB is under $130
                                      >>> http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=31723&category=381
                                      >>>
                                      >>> two of these KMC chains at $26each... this part kind of sucks
                                      >>> http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=34953&category=2768
                                      >>> but if you only cut 1 chain, and save the long-ish length that is
                                      >>> left... in time you'll end up with another chain... i know... sounds
                                      >>> ghetto.
                                      >>>
                                      >>> X.7 shifters at $40
                                      >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/Sram-X-7-Trigger-Shifters-9-Speed-X7-New-X-7-OEM-Pair-/230573808623?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35af451bef#ht_1592wt_1141
                                      >>>
                                      >>> X.7 front derailleur for $15 after shipping
                                      >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-7-Front-Derailleur-34-9-Clamp-Top-Pull-btm-Swing-/270698016773?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06dbf005#ht_538wt_907
                                      >>>
                                      >>> X.4 rear derailleur new $23
                                      >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-4-X4-X-4-Rear-Derailleur-/310297696008?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483f2f1708#ht_1439wt_907

                                    • jtrops
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 24, 2011
                                        I just put an old style Nuvinci n171 on my Dummy, and it is an amazing thing. If I hadn't picked it up cheap I probably would have gone for the n360. As it is I have no regrets. the weight is irrelevant, and the range is fine. In fact, I'm surprised at how good the range is. Having the ability to bump the shift a little has made my riding smoother, and to be honest I don't feel like I've sacrificed anything in my range. I had already noticed that my granny gear wasn't getting used at all before I made the switch. Granted I live in Longmont Colorado, and it's not too hilly here. If I was in the mountains I might want some lower gears, or maybe I'd put a front changer on to expand my range.

                                        So far my hub has done well on sub zero mornings, and I should say it has been more reliable than my derailleur was with the long chain, and the cold weather.

                                        At this point I'm sold on the CVP. I can't imagine building a bike with a derailleur after having ridden my n171. If my next build isn't a single speed it will probably have whatever the current incarnation of the Nuvinci happens to be.