Selling low cost Xtracycles in Kisumu, Kenya

  • Paul Freedman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
      Dear Roots Radicals,

      Live from Kisumu, Kenya, I invite you to follow the progress of
      Worldbike in Kenya through our project blog: www.worldbike.org

      Worldbike was formerly known as Xtracycle Access Foundation. We are
      the nonprofit sister company of Xtracycle, responsible for
      distributing low cost, high-quality utility bicycles for job
      creation
      in developing countries. Some of you also know me as Fossil Fool,
      the
      bike rapper, and inventor of the Down Low Glow and Soul Cycle bike
      audio systems. Although I have sometimes felt these two
      entrepreneurial efforts pull me in divergent directions of bling and
      compassion, I have to say that my current trip to Kenya has been a
      great example of convergence. The Boda Boda bicycle taxi operators
      in
      Kisumu absolutely love the DLG and the Soul Cycle! We are planning
      host a bike show in two weeks and give the DLG as prizes to the Boda
      Boda's with the most creative decorations, and the ones who win the

      During the next three weeks, it would be great if you could help us
      generate some grassroots publicity for our project. We have a great
      story to tell, and it's time for us to get the word out through the
      media. Do you have a contact at NPR or Mother Jones? Why not pass on
      our web site and help us get our story heard!

      I'll be back in the US on April 2nd.
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2006
        I've sent a few folks to the site... the U of I triathletes had an
        indoor bike-a-thon (on spinners and bikes on trainers and anybody
        could come) Sunday to benefit some local orgs and I did it on my
        Xtracycle.
        At one point I shifted noisily (my Gee-aunt doesn't always like
        going to that big ring) and the fellow next to me turned and looked...
        and kept on looking. When I looked back he said, "I love that
        bicycle." Of course, when we were finished, I let the trainer cool
        and then loaded it into the back of the bike. Got an email this
        morning from a bike club member asking about it, since he'd seen me
        riding with what looked like a resistance trainer on the back of my
        bike :-) I could tell him that I loved it and that yes, it handled
        loads extremely well, and that it's been known to hurl itself between
        me and my car door and whimper, "Please?? Please?? Take me instead???"
        (successfully, I might add...)