Chain Idler Technology

  • Dharmajack
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2011
      Hey there,

      I am wanting to create a simple idler pulley to just kind of suppor tthe chain on it's return to the crank, over the top of the chainstay - when things get bumpy and yer coastin', that long ol' thing can get to slappin. I have an idea of creating a stem-like cylindrical piece, or a roller about 1 inch wide that I can bolt into one of the braze-ons right over my dropout back there where a rack or fender bolt might screw in. It needs to be one inch wide or so to accomodate the chain travel through gears. I was on the horn talking to Nate over at Xtracycle the other day about this, and we're thinking parts can be sourced from the neighborhood Ace hardware.

      Any previous experience with this? I know there is that company that sells an Xtracycle idler kit for $80 or whatever - come on. It's not that critical, or I would cough up the dough.

      Any way, happy to hear your thoughts.

      Michael...Carfree in Sacramento.