Re: Freerad saves the day again!

  • Dharmajack
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 23, 2011
      Kind of ironic huh Sean - humpin' parts on the Xtra, to revive a dead car...Maybe leave the car dead and go for a daytrip somewhere fun HEHE!

      Michael

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:

      > I'm not hardcore like most of you here (I just read a post about a 60
      > mile round trip commute where they need 2 hours of light at least one
      > of those ways... dang!) but I do love my xtracycle that David Chase
      > sold me the freerad for when he upgraded and it has once again saved
      > my bacon.
      >
      > I have to use a car for work and mine broke just after my wife wrecked
      > hers (she's busing it right now) so my only mode of transport is the
      > xtra. Now, I use the thing for all my normal shopping trips,
      > groceries, dog food, etc but those places are very close to me and/or
      > infrequent.
      >
      > Now, many of you have probably repaired your own cars before and you
      > know how it goes for a shadetree mechanic. We don't know everything
      > we need, which brands to buy etc. We usually have to make more than
      > one trip to the store, right? The good auto parts store is 5 miles
      > away over thankfully flat terrain.
      >
      > HOLY SMOKES. I need to get stronger or lie down and die, I'm tellin'
      > ya. 10 mile round trip, five trips over two days in greasy clothing
      > and lying on the moist cold pavement that was my car's resting place.
      > My head is pounding, I wish I had some oxygen right now. But the car
      > runs!
      >
      > It would not have happened with a normal bike, I would have had to use
      > public transport and people look at you funny when you bring a large
      > iron club (drive shaft) onto the bus, right? Besides, I'd rather do
      > it myself for such a short trip.
      >
      > I hate cars more and more each day.
      >
      > Did you all see this image? :
      > http://img202.imageshack.us/i/overflow9.jpg/ I think you will like
      > it.
      >
      > --
      > Sean Moore
      > moore.sean@...

    • Sean Moore
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 25, 2011
        Yeah, I think it's at least a misdemeanor if I shoot it in the street.

        Oh well, it runs but the bike is still more fun for shopping!

        --
        Sean Moore
        moore.sean@...

        On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Dharmajack <mlf1968@...> wrote:

        Kind of ironic huh Sean - humpin' parts on the Xtra, to revive a dead car...Maybe leave the car dead and go for a daytrip somewhere fun HEHE!

        Michael

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:

        > I'm not hardcore like most of you here (I just read a post about a 60
        > mile round trip commute where they need 2 hours of light at least one
        > of those ways... dang!) but I do love my xtracycle that David Chase
        > sold me the freerad for when he upgraded and it has once again saved
        > my bacon.
        >
        > I have to use a car for work and mine broke just after my wife wrecked
        > hers (she's busing it right now) so my only mode of transport is the
        > xtra. Now, I use the thing for all my normal shopping trips,
        > groceries, dog food, etc but those places are very close to me and/or
        > infrequent.
        >
        > Now, many of you have probably repaired your own cars before and you
        > know how it goes for a shadetree mechanic. We don't know everything
        > we need, which brands to buy etc. We usually have to make more than
        > one trip to the store, right? The good auto parts store is 5 miles
        > away over thankfully flat terrain.
        >
        > HOLY SMOKES. I need to get stronger or lie down and die, I'm tellin'
        > ya. 10 mile round trip, five trips over two days in greasy clothing
        > and lying on the moist cold pavement that was my car's resting place.
        > My head is pounding, I wish I had some oxygen right now. But the car
        > runs!
        >
        > It would not have happened with a normal bike, I would have had to use
        > public transport and people look at you funny when you bring a large
        > iron club (drive shaft) onto the bus, right? Besides, I'd rather do
        > it myself for such a short trip.
        >
        > I hate cars more and more each day.
        >
        > Did you all see this image? :
        > http://img202.imageshack.us/i/overflow9.jpg/ I think you will like
        > it.
        >
        > --
        > Sean Moore
        > moore.sean@...

      • Sean Moore
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 25, 2011
          Hey, if those little idler cogs have been working since the '60s then that pricey idler would probably outlive me.  I don't know though, just make sure you know how to service the thing before you put it in service, ya know?

          --
          Sean Moore
          moore.sean@...

          On 2011-02-23, at 12:18 AM, Devian Gilbert wrote:
          > this is for using an IGH?
          This is for using an IGH, yes.

          > On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Sean Moore wrote:
          >
          >> How do you service it, David?
          >>
          >> It's a pretty expensive part, can you service it with normal parts from any bike shop or do you need to buy the cog from that company? Obviously you would need to buy the urethane idler from them, that's specialty.
          >>
          >> You know me, keep it standard and available!

          I guess I was hoping for low service requirements. Recall that I am using a 1960s-vintage Campy derailer for my chain tensioner right now. But you are right. If I get it, I won't throw away the derailer. A Prudent Person would not even remove it from the bike, just in case.