Re: [rootsradicals] You are not stuck in traffic, you are traffic

  • Sean Moore
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 21, 2011
      Oh that's rich.  Gee, I didn't know where the original comes from so some self-important geek decides to make a whole new thread.  I thought it was a cool image that I saw on a website.

      Anywhere with "chic" in their business name is not somewhere I will ever shop, just so you know.

      You just reminded me why I will never be part of the cycling "culture".  Thanks, I needed a little dose of reality I guess.

      --
      Sean Moore
      moore.sean@...

      On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Miguel Barroso <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:

      Hi there,

      Glad you liked the photo, but proper credit for the orginal one should be given to Carlton Reid, and the modified version was made by Lisbon Cycle Chic (that's me). Find out more about this photo at http://www.lisboncyclechic.com/?p=1048.

      Cheers,

      Miguel Barroso
      www.lisboncyclechic.com

      On 20-02-2011 03:18, Sean Moore wrote:
      (...)

      Did you all see this image?  :
      http://img202.imageshack.us/i/overflow9.jpg/   I think you will like
      it.

      --
      Sean Moore
      moore.sean@...

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 21, 2011
        Totally understand your position re: everyday cycling, but some people in our world do enjoy being chic. Especially in Europe.

        To each their own. If you want to get tweeded out, ride in spandex or toss on some jeans, at least you're riding a bicycle.

        And that's a start.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 21, 2011
          No, it is the end.  It is not a start.

          Cycling is NOT fashion, it is transportation and in the case of an xtra equipped bicycle, it's hauling.  A lot of hauling.

          fin.

          Now, if you want to make your bicycle a part of your fashion that's all well and good but it irritates me that you would use an image I linked in order to pimp your modified version.  IMO, it's blogspam.

          "Look at me!"

          Please leave the pretension in the cafe.  And maybe even in Europe.  I certainly have no use for it.

          Good day,
          --
          Sean Moore
          moore.sean@...

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 21, 2011
            Sorry Rick, I thought the OP responded to me.  I should say it annoys me that HE would use an image I linked to blogspam.

            My apologies.
            --
            Sean Moore
            moore.sean@...

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 21, 2011
                  OH!  I get it now, it was a TOMTOM ad in the first place.

                  I wonder who 'shopped Miguel's stuff out of the image I found.

                  Again I have stuck my foot in my mouth and now I must apologize to Miguel.  I am sorry I said that.  (But leave the pretension in the cafe, please).  I didn't bother to look at your blog and I apologize.

                  Cool modification, Miguel.

                  I should probably just go back to lurking ;)

                  --
                  Sean Moore
                  moore.sean@...

                • Miguel Barroso
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                    Sean, no problem... ;-)

                    The intention pointing to my blog, was to explain all the story behind the image, not blogspamming.

                    As for the Chic, I usually say: it's not Chic, it's Cycle Chic... Cycle Chic culture is not about high fashion, but regular people, with regular clothes, riding a bike. I'm not saying that if a guy wants to wear lycra to ride a bike, he shouldn' do it. The ideia here is to dismistify that you have to wear special clothes to ride a bike - it's all about promoting the bicycle to those who do not ride a bicycle... yet! ;-)

                    Cheers,
                    Miguel Barroso

                    On 21-02-2011 21:52, Sean Moore wrote: OH!  I get it now, it was a TOMTOM ad in the first place.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                      Product here:

                      http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=xtrbigdum&Category_Code=xtra

                      Would love to keep my chain cleaner, would love to get more chain wrapped around rear cog, would love to have a less floppy chain, would love to have more ground clearance.

                      Is this a net win over a tensioner? Current tensioner is an ancient Campy Gran Sport derailer, tried a Surly tensioner but was not satisfied.

                      David
                    • Vik Banerjee
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                        In case you don't go the TC route...I'm using a Rohloff tensioner on my Big Dummy and it works great...has not needed any attention all these years.

                        Photo is from my CETMA [no tensioner porn from my BD!], but hub/cog is the same and tensioner is the same.

                        safe riding,

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                          On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                          > http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=xtrbigdum&Category_Code=xtra
                          >
                          > Is this a net win over a tensioner? Current tensioner is an ancient Campy Gran Sport derailer, tried a Surly tensioner but was not satisfied.

                          I don't have any answers, but do have an additional question.

                          Can somebody who has touched both frame models speak to the
                          differences between the 2011 Big Dummy and previous frames, and know
                          whether this would still be compatible with the 2011 frames?
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                            On 2011-02-22, at 11:55 AM, Vik Banerjee wrote:

                            > In case you don't go the TC route...I'm using a Rohloff tensioner on my Big Dummy and it works great...has not needed any attention all these years.
                            >
                            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikapproved/4932038315/in/set-72157624682241141/

                            I'm also somewhat interested in the cleaner-chain and less wiggly chain features; I lost the chain off the front chainring a couple of weeks ago accelerating out-of-saddle from a light, and it was not fun. (Did not crash, but took some hard pokes in the back from the nose of my saddle keeping things together.) And the winter salt+grit up here just chews drivetrains to pieces.

                            David
                          • Vik Banerjee
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                              Again this may not suit you, but I'll throw it out there for anyone else who might care - Rohloff chain guide to keep the chain in place:

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                                The only mod that we've seen/know about is the top tube change to their brand wide style.

                                On Feb 22, 2011, at 8:55 AM, David Backeberg wrote:

                                On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                                > http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=xtrbigdum&Category_Code=xtra
                                >
                                > Is this a net win over a tensioner? Current tensioner is an ancient Campy Gran Sport derailer, tried a Surly tensioner but was not satisfied.

                                I don't have any answers, but do have an additional question.

                                Can somebody who has touched both frame models speak to the
                                differences between the 2011 Big Dummy and previous frames, and know
                                whether this would still be compatible with the 2011 frames?

                              • jtrops
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                                  I was thinking of making something along these lines, and I may still. For the moment I have a spring chain tensioner mounted under the footpeg area of the chainstay, and it's working alright although it does push the chain down. I tried mounting it upside down, but the chain rubbed the front cross tube. In this location it seems much quieter than when it was mounted in the derailleur hanger. The other bonus is that I can use my old school Nuvinci without having to use an allen wrench for the no-turn plate. It may work to route the chain above the cross tube, and have a spring tensioner pushing up on the chain from the same location as I have mine currently. I'll have to play around with it this weekend.

                                  > Product here:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=xtrbigdum&Category_Code=xtra
                                  >
                                  > Would love to keep my chain cleaner, would love to get more chain wrapped around rear cog, would love to have a less floppy chain, would love to have more ground clearance.
                                  >
                                  > Is this a net win over a tensioner? Current tensioner is an ancient Campy Gran Sport derailer, tried a Surly tensioner but was not satisfied.
                                  >
                                  > David

                                • Sean Moore
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                                    How do you service it, David?

                                    It's a pretty expensive part, can you service it with normal parts from any bike shop or do you need to buy the cog from that company? Obviously you would need to buy the urethane idler from them, that's specialty.

                                    You know me, keep it standard and available!

                                    --
                                    Sean Moore
                                    moore.sean@...

                                    On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:50 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

                                    Product here:

                                    http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=xtrbigdum&Category_Code=xtra

                                    Would love to keep my chain cleaner, would love to get more chain wrapped around rear cog, would love to have a less floppy chain, would love to have more ground clearance.

                                    Is this a net win over a tensioner? Current tensioner is an ancient Campy Gran Sport derailer, tried a Surly tensioner but was not satisfied.

                                    David

                                  • Devian Gilbert

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 23, 2011
                                        On 2011-02-23, at 12:18 AM, Devian Gilbert wrote:
                                        > this is for using an IGH?
                                        This is for using an IGH, yes.

                                        > On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Sean Moore wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> How do you service it, David?
                                        >>
                                        >> It's a pretty expensive part, can you service it with normal parts from any bike shop or do you need to buy the cog from that company? Obviously you would need to buy the urethane idler from them, that's specialty.
                                        >>
                                        >> You know me, keep it standard and available!

                                        I guess I was hoping for low service requirements. Recall that I am using a 1960s-vintage Campy derailer for my chain tensioner right now. But you are right. If I get it, I won't throw away the derailer. A Prudent Person would not even remove it from the bike, just in case.

                                        David
                                      • Rich W
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 23, 2011
                                          To me a true minimal maintenance drive setup is theoretically a oil bath lubricated IGH with a fully enclosed oil bath chaincase or an enclosed belt drive setup. The oil bath chaincase, ala Sunbeam, seems to be long gone and I have yet to see an enclosure for a belt drive.

                                          Rich Wood

                                          > On 2011-02-23, at 12:18 AM, Devian Gilbert wrote:
                                          > > this is for using an IGH?
                                          > This is for using an IGH, yes.
                                          >
                                          > > On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Sean Moore wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > >> How do you service it, David?
                                          > >>
                                          > >> It's a pretty expensive part, can you service it with normal parts from any bike shop or do you need to buy the cog from that company? Obviously you would need to buy the urethane idler from them, that's specialty.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> You know me, keep it standard and available!
                                          >
                                          > I guess I was hoping for low service requirements. Recall that I am using a 1960s-vintage Campy derailer for my chain tensioner right now. But you are right. If I get it, I won't throw away the derailer. A Prudent Person would not even remove it from the bike, just in case.
                                          >
                                          > David

                                        • Dharmajack
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 23, 2011
                                            Kind of ironic huh Sean - humpin' parts on the Xtra, to revive a dead car...Maybe leave the car dead and go for a daytrip somewhere fun HEHE!

                                            Michael

                                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:

                                            > I'm not hardcore like most of you here (I just read a post about a 60
                                            > mile round trip commute where they need 2 hours of light at least one
                                            > of those ways... dang!) but I do love my xtracycle that David Chase
                                            > sold me the freerad for when he upgraded and it has once again saved
                                            > my bacon.
                                            >
                                            > I have to use a car for work and mine broke just after my wife wrecked
                                            > hers (she's busing it right now) so my only mode of transport is the
                                            > xtra. Now, I use the thing for all my normal shopping trips,
                                            > groceries, dog food, etc but those places are very close to me and/or
                                            > infrequent.
                                            >
                                            > Now, many of you have probably repaired your own cars before and you
                                            > know how it goes for a shadetree mechanic. We don't know everything
                                            > we need, which brands to buy etc. We usually have to make more than
                                            > one trip to the store, right? The good auto parts store is 5 miles
                                            > away over thankfully flat terrain.
                                            >
                                            > HOLY SMOKES. I need to get stronger or lie down and die, I'm tellin'
                                            > ya. 10 mile round trip, five trips over two days in greasy clothing
                                            > and lying on the moist cold pavement that was my car's resting place.
                                            > My head is pounding, I wish I had some oxygen right now. But the car
                                            > runs!
                                            >
                                            > It would not have happened with a normal bike, I would have had to use
                                            > public transport and people look at you funny when you bring a large
                                            > iron club (drive shaft) onto the bus, right? Besides, I'd rather do
                                            > it myself for such a short trip.
                                            >
                                            > I hate cars more and more each day.
                                            >
                                            > Did you all see this image? :
                                            > http://img202.imageshack.us/i/overflow9.jpg/ I think you will like
                                            > it.
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > Sean Moore
                                            > moore.sean@...

                                          • Sean Moore
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 25, 2011
                                              Yeah, I think it's at least a misdemeanor if I shoot it in the street.

                                              Oh well, it runs but the bike is still more fun for shopping!

                                              --
                                              Sean Moore
                                              moore.sean@...

                                              On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Dharmajack <mlf1968@...> wrote:

                                              Kind of ironic huh Sean - humpin' parts on the Xtra, to revive a dead car...Maybe leave the car dead and go for a daytrip somewhere fun HEHE!

                                              Michael

                                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:

                                              > I'm not hardcore like most of you here (I just read a post about a 60
                                              > mile round trip commute where they need 2 hours of light at least one
                                              > of those ways... dang!) but I do love my xtracycle that David Chase
                                              > sold me the freerad for when he upgraded and it has once again saved
                                              > my bacon.
                                              >
                                              > I have to use a car for work and mine broke just after my wife wrecked
                                              > hers (she's busing it right now) so my only mode of transport is the
                                              > xtra. Now, I use the thing for all my normal shopping trips,
                                              > groceries, dog food, etc but those places are very close to me and/or
                                              > infrequent.
                                              >
                                              > Now, many of you have probably repaired your own cars before and you
                                              > know how it goes for a shadetree mechanic. We don't know everything
                                              > we need, which brands to buy etc. We usually have to make more than
                                              > one trip to the store, right? The good auto parts store is 5 miles
                                              > away over thankfully flat terrain.
                                              >
                                              > HOLY SMOKES. I need to get stronger or lie down and die, I'm tellin'
                                              > ya. 10 mile round trip, five trips over two days in greasy clothing
                                              > and lying on the moist cold pavement that was my car's resting place.
                                              > My head is pounding, I wish I had some oxygen right now. But the car
                                              > runs!
                                              >
                                              > It would not have happened with a normal bike, I would have had to use
                                              > public transport and people look at you funny when you bring a large
                                              > iron club (drive shaft) onto the bus, right? Besides, I'd rather do
                                              > it myself for such a short trip.
                                              >
                                              > I hate cars more and more each day.
                                              >
                                              > Did you all see this image? :
                                              > http://img202.imageshack.us/i/overflow9.jpg/ I think you will like
                                              > it.
                                              >
                                              > --
                                              > Sean Moore
                                              > moore.sean@...

                                            • Sean Moore
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 25, 2011
                                                Hey, if those little idler cogs have been working since the '60s then that pricey idler would probably outlive me.  I don't know though, just make sure you know how to service the thing before you put it in service, ya know?

                                                --
                                                Sean Moore
                                                moore.sean@...

                                                On 2011-02-23, at 12:18 AM, Devian Gilbert wrote:
                                                > this is for using an IGH?
                                                This is for using an IGH, yes.