Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Bright bike lights

  • Vik Banerjee
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 19, 2011
      The only trouble with Dinotte's is their symmetric beam patterns that throws the majority of their light up into the sky and unfortunately other folks' eyes:

      For less $ the B&M Ixon IQ is a much better light:

      safe riding,

      On 2011-02-19, at 10:38 AM, poppamando wrote:

      Stacey - though not "cheap," Dinotte "Pro Series" lights have been fantastic lights for our family. They produce very bright beams that are very commuter friendly and operate on 4 AA batteries (rechargeable recommended). I've used them for years and absolutely love them. They have been an excellent value for us.

      Their tail lights are also very bright and, on flash mode, blow away just about anything else. I've had coworkers see me in the pre-dawn darkness and tell me they thought I was an Emergency Response vehicle.

      Their "Endurance Series" use rechargeable lithium batteries and are much more powerful (and, of course, expensive).

      Do a bit of research and you'll find almost nothing but "glowing" reviews.

      http://www.dinottelighting.com/

      -Phil
      (have no financial interest in this company)

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Stacey" <staceylmelis@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
      > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
      > Thanks for your expertise!
      > Stacey

    • poppamando
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 19, 2011
        Vik,

        I have no experience with the Ix IQ, so I can't say what's worth it or not. I can say that I've never had any problem with my Dinottes and that they're easy to refocus as needed. Also, I would never run a strobe light only for front lighting unless it was during the day.

        I would like to see some different lenses for beam variation available for the Dinottes.

        -Phil

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 19, 2011
          My choice, is home-made.

          Headlight:

          http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/a-simple-functional-home-made-headlight-mount/

          Taillight (just a picture):

          http://dr2chase.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/img_0352.jpg

          And I deal with the lights-in-eyes (of non-drivers) with low-beams, which are amber, constructed like the tail-light, but with a mirrored hat, mounted low on the forks. The headlight blog entry shows the location of the hi/lo switch.

          Understand, this does require a supply that does current limits.

          David
        • Vik Banerjee
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 19, 2011
            Phil,

            The person whose bike the Dinotte is mounted to doesn't have a problem.  It's the people coming up from the rear and/or coming the other way who get blinded by these powerful symmetric beam lights.

            safe riding,