Shipping/wait wait wait!

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26, 2007
      I am sitting here, WAITING for my x to arrive!  I can't wait!   I sound like a whiny kid on X-mas (pun, people!) and it is driving me crazy.....er.  i get the tantalizing notification, "your Xtracycle has been shipped!" and a tracking n umber.  then it shows up and the last entry in in someplace in California at 12.01 July 25!  Nothing since!  WAH!  It is suppoosed to get here on Monday.  I can't even call in SICK because to make it easier for them, I had it shipped to my work!  Arrrrgh!  so i won't see it until Tuesday afternoon!  Looks like I had better get my tool box ready!

      mark

      Mark  Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
    • akyramoto
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
        I'm kinda bummed, i recieved my shipping details last week but
        everytime i try to track it, it doesn't show it going anywhere, it
        just says 'shipping /billling info recievd'

        i live probably about an hour away from Xtracycle HQ. i thought it
        would be here by now. gah! the anticipation!!!

        but honestly i'm anxious for my wideloaders & i woudn't mind if they
        shipped the Free rads first, i think everyone should have one. they're
        great. i've had mine since April & love it.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
          Mine got here TODAY and I installed it this afternoon, It took me about 2 1/2 hours to install the Free Rad and Wideloaders.  I have a little basic tweaking to do yet to get everything just so, but my initial impression is that the free rad is both not noticeable, and noticeable.  By this I mean that it doesn't seem to be back there when you ride.  the bike feels about like it did before, except in MY case the bike is a little more stable and surefooted, and climbing is somewhat easier.  I don't know why this should be!  I did a small grocery run this afternoon and the bike performed flawlessly.  I can't think whether to leave the wideloaders on all the time or stash them!  Arrrrgh!

          > mark
          >
          > --
          > Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 50 years!
          >

          > Mark  Garvey
          > Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!
          >
          > Check out the web site at:
          > http://www.vine-ave.com
          >
          > contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!
          Details at
          > www.vine-ave.com
          >
          > I am a bicycling lifestylist!

          ride to believe.
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto: rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007

                        I keep both my wide-loaders attached all the time along with the long-loaders. I find the wide-loaders are almost just as good as having the footsies on if the situation arises where a friend wants to hop on. Also, in general I think it makes drivers notice you that much more and seems more intimidating to them. “God forbid, that metal thing extending off the side of that bike scrape my paintjob!” ;)

            Ride safe,

            _TONE_

          • Jeff Youngstrom
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
              On 7/31/07, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:
               I can't think whether to leave the wideloaders on all the time or stash them!  Arrrrgh!

              I keep my wideloader (only bought one) off the bike except when I know I'm going to need it. I carry it unmounted if I think I might need it.

              The main reason for this is that I ride on a lot of mixed-use trails with bollards (posts) to block motor vehicles from using them. I've crashed a wide loader into a bollard a couple of times. The first crash sent me flying over the handlebars and rolling on the side of the trail. It bent the wide loader a bit, but it still goes on and off the bike okay. Its associated longloader is permanently attached now, though. The second crash just smushed a cardboard box I was carrying.

              If you have more sense than me and can remember how wide you are and steer clear of obstacles I suppose you could leave them on all the time. Some of the trails I ride I don't think I could even fit with two wideloaders mounted.

              jeffy
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
                On 2007-07-31, at 9:38 PM, Juergen Weichert wrote:

                > Careful not to catch your heel under the wide loader when starting
                > off.
                > Easy to do.

                Bizarrely, as much as this hurts, it seems not to cause any permanent
                damage.
                Yet, at least.

                On 2007-07-31, at 8:35 PM, Jeff Youngstrom wrote:
                > The main reason for this is that I ride on a lot of mixed-use
                > trails with bollards (posts) to block motor vehicles from using
                > them. I've crashed a wide loader into a bollard a couple of times.

                This sort of thing really ticks me off. Those anti-car devices are
                set far too narrow, whether for a bike with wideloaders, or a bike
                with a kid in a trailer, or even for a tandem (sometimes) going
                through at an angle (don't want to scrape the stoker, they hate
                that). Why do "they" do that? Are they afraid someone is going to
                sneak a Smart Car onto the trail?

                David
              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
                  On 7/31/07, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:
                  Careful not to catch your heel under the wide loader when starting off.
                  Easy to do.
                  Enjoy.
                  Juergen

                  Ummmm, believe it or  not, I ALREADY DID THIS!  On my FIRST ride!  sheesh what a DUMMY!  But then the darn thing is so cool and stable now!  It was a great bike before the X but now it is really super!

                  By the way, I am stashing the wideloaders for the reasons  Jeff pointed out, wide!  But I will use them quite a bit I believe.  OK, now it is completely set up, at least for now.  My friend Steve dropped by a few minutes ago and dropped off my extension cord for the battery pack on my electric assist.  I gave the X a test ride of about 3 miles and with the e-assist it is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!  ?yeah, I need other things, fenders, the Footsies  all that stuff, but I now have a "camper"  wheee!  I DO have to shorten the darn kick stand though!  the bike sits STRAIGHT up in the air!

                  mark

                  Mark  Garvey
                  Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                  Check out the web site at:
                  http://www.vine-ave.com

                  contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                  I am a bicycling lifestylist!
                • Juergen Weichert
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007

                    Tone wrote:

                    > I keep both my wide-loaders attached all the time along with the
                    > long-loaders. I find the wide-loaders are almost just as good as
                    > having the footsies on if the situation arises where a friend wants to
                    > hop on. Also, in general I think it makes drivers notice you that much
                    > more and seems more intimidating to them. “God forbid, that metal
                    > thing extending off the side of that bike scrape my paintjob!” ;)
                    >
                    > Ride safe,
                    >
                    > _/TONE/_
                    >
                    > _
                  • Rainbow Flight
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
                      Hey Mark
                      Yep, I've caught myself with the wideloaders too...makes me realise how wide it is...
                      Like you, I'm really loving my Stoked Xtra, as I bed in the batteries on low power, I'm still amazed at the difference it makes! Now I understand what David Holmgren (co-originater of Permaculture) meant when he said electric assist bicycles were a no-brainer (we should be using them)....Yeah!!

                      I carry my wideloaders on the bike most of the time, never know when I'll need them. I use some velcro to attach them off the top of the V racks. This keeps them out of the way nicely and stops the ends pushing a hole through the netting at either end of the Free-Radicals...

                      Regards
                      Ted

                    • Mark Garvey
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
                        On 8/1/07, Rainbow Flight <kitesfun@...> wrote:
                        Hey Mark
                        Yep, I've caught myself with the wideloaders too...makes me realise how wide it is...
                        Like you, I'm really loving my Stoked Xtra, as I bed in the batteries on low power, I'm still amazed at the difference it makes! Now I understand what David Holmgren (co-originater of Permaculture) meant when he said electric assist bicycles were a no-brainer (we should be using them)....Yeah!!

                        I did the e-assist as a sort of experiment about 2 years ago and I have a sort of love/hate relationship going with it.  I have to say that years and years ago, I purchased a Vespa Caio mo-ped.  I have pretty much always loved anything with two wheels (I still have and ride my ancient honda 125S motorcycle) especially bicycles.  And the idea of having a bicycle with something to push up hills was intriguing.  unfortunately, the Caio was a horrible motorcycle and a worse bicycle.  someone stole it and good luck to him!

                        But the electric assist motor adds 8 lbs to the bike which doesn't make me happy, the 20 lb battery is worse, though I can in time replace that with a hi tech battery that weighs 1/3 of that which will be far more acceptable.

                        The GOOD thing is that on level ground and on downhills, the motor and battery make ZERO difference.  Going up hill is where they make a difference, and with an electric assist, you can use it when you need it and not have an annoying little motor rattling away under you.   Plus the e-motor is nearly silent.  Hidden as it is under the bags you can barely hear it whining away as you pedal up hill at 10-12 mph!

                        It is light enough that if something untoward should happen and you lose power or something breaks (so far nothing has thank the Gods!) you can still pedal it and very easily at that.  It is still an effective bicycle but enhanced.

                        What this means is that I simply use my bicycle MORE than I would otherwise.  I would use it a lot anyway, but there are days when the thought of the big hills on the way to work is daunting!  the motor cuts about 10 minutes off my commute, making the bicycle only a bit slower than my car or motorcycle.  (car/motorcycle 15 minutes, bicycle 25-30 minutes over 7 miles)

                        The setup may not be for EVERYONE, but while i am still somewhat bothered by the "purist" angle (I LOVE a nice, clean and light bicycle!!!) I can't bring myself to remove it and not use it.  Even though I use the motor only a small percentage of the time.

                        Best of all, with the X, the motor is hidden under the back and totally out of sight.  yeah, it is "legal" no problem there honestly, most states have OKed up to 750 watts and 20 mph under power alone as a "bicycle", but I get a few comments of "cheater" (what?  is this a competition?  are there RULES???) and all, but I use mine like a bicycle and it works well.  I still hate the extra weight, but it serves a purpose!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
                          they showed up yesterday!! oh man i was excited, i had to go to class
                          though so i shoved the wideloaders in the the bags & took them with me
                          so i could 'play' with them when i got there. they do make the bike
                          REALLY wide. i'm gonna have to practice cycling with them.

                          and still i love my Xtra - dont know what I would do with out it.!

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
                            After only 24 hours, I am starting to wonder why I didn't do this a year ago!  The X makes my bike so much better!  I am a "practical" cyclist, commuting, running errands, all the things i would do with a car.  I did my commute to work this morning and tossed in my clipbpard, my shoes, my hat and other small things that would take up space in my old panniers.  this is a very nice design!  Clever and practical!

                            mark

                                mailto: rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Mark  Garvey
                            Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                            Check out the web site at:
                            http://www.vine-ave.com

                            contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                            I am a bicycling lifestylist!
                          • Derek Pearson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
                              haha welcome to the believers :) Now spread that word around!!
                              Whenever I see people on bike forums trying to nitpick any little thing about the xtracycle, I just want to shake them and say
                              "JUST TRY IT" They just don't know what they are missing!

                              Congrats on your new discovery and have fun

                                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/

                                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/join
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email: