Re: [rootsradicals] Phil Wood Shell for Rohloff

  • Vik Banerjee
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2011
      It sure looks nice, but I've been hauling myself and up to 240lbs on my Big Dummy with no problems as a cargo bike and toured with up to 100lbs of gear incl...unpaved rough road tours with the no issues.  The stock Rohloff 32H hub is plenty strong and lets you use a pretty common 32H rim.

      Given how expensive a Rohloff is adding a big mod to the cost and most likely voiding the warranty on your hub seems like a questionable move for most Rohloff users.

      Having said all that I'm sure it will look sharp on the inevitable custom show bike builds it ends up on.

      safe riding,

      On 2011-02-18, at 7:44 PM, Rich W wrote:

      http://philwoodco.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/36-hole-phil-wood-hub-shell-for-rohloff-hub/

      Phil Wood has announced a replacement outer shell for Rohloff internals that will be available with drillings for upto 48 spokes. IMO it should be close to the ultimate in a heavy duty cargo bike or adventure touring bike rear wheel. No dish and 40 or 48 spokes!

      Rich Wood

    • Rich W
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2011
        As I recall the report about Rohloff hub failure was with the flanges on the standard hub and was reported by an actual user of a Thorn Cycles tandem on the Thorn cycles group. In fact the same owner had two reported failures of the hub due to flange breakage. Self admittedly it sounded like the owner and stoker were both in the 100+ Kg weight range. Another heavyweight pair had a single reported failure too IIRC.

        At the time there was a "discussion" going on between Rohloff and Thorn regarding whether the failures were due to inadequate wheel builds or defective hub shells.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Vik Banerjee <threeohm@...> wrote:

        > It sure looks nice, but I've been hauling myself and up to 240lbs on my Big Dummy with no problems as a cargo bike and toured with up to 100lbs of gear incl...unpaved rough road tours with the no issues. The stock Rohloff 32H hub is plenty strong and lets you use a pretty common 32H rim.
        >
        > Given how expensive a Rohloff is adding a big mod to the cost and most likely voiding the warranty on your hub seems like a questionable move for most Rohloff users.
        >
        > Having said all that I'm sure it will look sharp on the inevitable custom show bike builds it ends up on.
        >
        > safe riding,
        >
        > Vik Banerjee
        > threeohm@...
        > www.thelazyrando.com
        >
        > On 2011-02-18, at 7:44 PM, Rich W wrote:
        >
        > > http://philwoodco.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/36-hole-phil-wood-hub-shell-for-rohloff-hub/
        > >
        > > Phil Wood has announced a replacement outer shell for Rohloff internals that will be available with drillings for upto 48 spokes. IMO it should be close to the ultimate in a heavy duty cargo bike or adventure touring bike rear wheel. No dish and 40 or 48 spokes!
        > >
        > > Rich Wood

      • Vik Banerjee
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2011
          There have been a handful of Rohloff flange failures at the extreme end of the use spectrum.  Not something I would worry about even for a cargo bike unless you are pushing the limits beyond what an Xtra or Big Dummy can carry.

          safe riding,

          On 2011-02-19, at 3:57 PM, Rich W wrote:

          As I recall the report about Rohloff hub failure was with the flanges on the standard hub and was reported by an actual user of a Thorn Cycles tandem on the Thorn cycles group. In fact the same owner had two reported failures of the hub due to flange breakage. Self admittedly it sounded like the owner and stoker were both in the 100+ Kg weight range. Another heavyweight pair had a single reported failure too IIRC.

          At the time there was a "discussion" going on between Rohloff and Thorn regarding whether the failures were due to inadequate wheel builds or defective hub shells.

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Vik Banerjee <threeohm@...> wrote:

          > It sure looks nice, but I've been hauling myself and up to 240lbs on my Big Dummy with no problems as a cargo bike and toured with up to 100lbs of gear incl...unpaved rough road tours with the no issues. The stock Rohloff 32H hub is plenty strong and lets you use a pretty common 32H rim.
          >
          > Given how expensive a Rohloff is adding a big mod to the cost and most likely voiding the warranty on your hub seems like a questionable move for most Rohloff users.
          >
          > Having said all that I'm sure it will look sharp on the inevitable custom show bike builds it ends up on.
          >
          > safe riding,
          >
          > Vik Banerjee
          > threeohm@...
          > www.thelazyrando.com
          >
          > On 2011-02-18, at 7:44 PM, Rich W wrote:
          >
          > > http://philwoodco.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/36-hole-phil-wood-hub-shell-for-rohloff-hub/
          > >
          > > Phil Wood has announced a replacement outer shell for Rohloff internals that will be available with drillings for upto 48 spokes. IMO it should be close to the ultimate in a heavy duty cargo bike or adventure touring bike rear wheel. No dish and 40 or 48 spokes!
          > >
          > > Rich Wood

        • Rick
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2011
            You could also save cash and go with Aaron's Rohloff custom spoke drilling if you're worried about flange strength.

            But I do side with Vik. I've been rocking 32h rims with my Rohloff and carrying large, awkward loads (the people were just large, not awkward).

            On Feb 19, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Rich W wrote:

            As I recall the report about Rohloff hub failure was with the flanges on the standard hub and was reported by an actual user of a Thorn Cycles tandem on the Thorn cycles group. In fact the same owner had two reported failures of the hub due to flange breakage. Self admittedly it sounded like the owner and stoker were both in the 100+ Kg weight range. Another heavyweight pair had a single reported failure too IIRC.

            At the time there was a "discussion" going on between Rohloff and Thorn regarding whether the failures were due to inadequate wheel builds or defective hub shells.

            Rich Wood

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Vik Banerjee <threeohm@...> wrote:

            > It sure looks nice, but I've been hauling myself and up to 240lbs on my Big Dummy with no problems as a cargo bike and toured with up to 100lbs of gear incl...unpaved rough road tours with the no issues. The stock Rohloff 32H hub is plenty strong and lets you use a pretty common 32H rim.
            >
            > Given how expensive a Rohloff is adding a big mod to the cost and most likely voiding the warranty on your hub seems like a questionable move for most Rohloff users.
            >
            > Having said all that I'm sure it will look sharp on the inevitable custom show bike builds it ends up on.
            >
            > safe riding,
            >
            > Vik Banerjee
            > threeohm@...
            > www.thelazyrando.com
            >
            > On 2011-02-18, at 7:44 PM, Rich W wrote:
            >
            > > http://philwoodco.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/36-hole-phil-wood-hub-shell-for-rohloff-hub/
            > >
            > > Phil Wood has announced a replacement outer shell for Rohloff internals that will be available with drillings for upto 48 spokes. IMO it should be close to the ultimate in a heavy duty cargo bike or adventure touring bike rear wheel. No dish and 40 or 48 spokes!
            > >
            > > Rich Wood

          • Rich W
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 20, 2011
              I believe the Aarons solution requires building a wheel with muiltiple spoke lengths due to uneven spacing between spoke holes in the hub flanges.

              I figure the Phil Wood solution is for those few who have had problems or for those who are paranoid enough to spend the $$$ to try and guarantee that they do not develop any potential problem, no matter how unlikely. It is a possible solution however and I find it interesting that it is apparently seen as a viable product by Phil Wood. I would think that demand would be minimal.

              Rich Wood

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick <rick@...> wrote:

              > You could also save cash and go with Aaron's Rohloff custom spoke drilling if you're worried about flange strength.
              >
              > But I do side with Vik. I've been rocking 32h rims with my Rohloff and carrying large, awkward loads (the people were just large, not awkward).
              >
              > http://www.rideyourbike.com/48spokerohloff.shtml
              >

              > On Feb 19, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Rich W wrote:
              >
              > > As I recall the report about Rohloff hub failure was with the flanges on the standard hub and was reported by an actual user of a Thorn Cycles tandem on the Thorn cycles group. In fact the same owner had two reported failures of the hub due to flange breakage. Self admittedly it sounded like the owner and stoker were both in the 100+ Kg weight range. Another heavyweight pair had a single reported failure too IIRC.
              > >
              > > At the time there was a "discussion" going on between Rohloff and Thorn regarding whether the failures were due to inadequate wheel builds or defective hub shells.
              > >
              > > Rich Wood

            • David Dannenberg
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 21, 2011
                And I would think Rohloff would offer it if it had a big enough market and was necessary.