Re: [rootsradicals] Bright bike lights

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 21, 2011
      On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Stacey <staceylmelis@...> wrote:
      > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
      > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.

      Ha. Pick two. The cheapest way to make any light rechargeable is to
      buy your own rechargeable NiCd or NiMh AAs and a charger. But the
      battery life won't be as long and the light won't be as bright as if
      you buy a Li-ion battery pack-based lighting system, which will be
      hundreds of dollars.

      Planet bike makes some decent middle-of-the-road compromise lights.
      They are fairly cheap so you don't cry if they get stolen, but you can
      put your own rechargeables into.
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 21, 2011
        On 2011-01-21, at 12:23 PM, David Backeberg wrote:

        > On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Stacey <staceylmelis@...> wrote:
        > > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
        > > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
        >
        > Ha. Pick two.

        No, build your own. Can you solder?

        Get a 5xAA battery pack (from Digikey, e.g.), get 20+ Sanyo AA Eneloop batteries and 3 chargers.

        Add to that:

        1 CREE XPG on puck (http://ledsupply.com/creexpg-w139.php )
        1 Lens (http://ledsupply.com/carclo-optics-xpe.php I would use plain-tight)
        1 Red or orange-red CREE XPE on puck (http://ledsupply.com/creexpe-red-1.php )
        1 Buckpuck (93% efficient, http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-n-350.php )
        or Bucktoot (85% efficient, http://ledsupply.com/bucktoot.php )

        And some aluminum to attach it to, plus random clamps (see below).
        You'll need some epoxy, and some clamps, and some silicone 2 for waterproofing and strain relief.
        Also, some acrylic mirror from a craft shop.

        Optional, is a second amber headlight and lens, for "low beams" (on account of you will blind people with this, on any trail).

        My best efforts so far, here:

        headlight:
        http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/a-simple-functional-home-made-headlight-mount/

        taillight (ignore the rest):
        http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/standlight-tweaking-and-pack-ugh-ing/

        Note that mine are driven by a hub dynamo, and there's a big pile of circuit to extract the maximum power while not igniting the electronics, and that circuit about doubles the price, though all those AA batteries are not cheap.

        David
      • ama3655@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 21, 2011
          Stacey -

          I think the best deals on lighting right now are coming from Portland Design Works. They are compact, inexpensive compared to many, and use standard sized batteries. The Radbot 1000 and Danger Zone rear lights will really get folks attention, and that's the angle I'm most paranoid about. They fit the same mounts as another popular brand, and they come with a variety of nice mounting options.

          For batteries I use Sanyo's Eneloop rechargeables. You can get them in AA and AAA sizes, and the chargers are cheap and easy to use. If you do run them down while you're out somewhere you can find non rechargeable batteries that work at any grocery or convenience store.

          If you have trouble finding these locally the lighting is available at biketiresdirect.com, and for batteries try batteriesamerica.com

          FatRob

          In a message dated 1/21/2011 11:11:41 A.M. Central Standard Time, staceylmelis@... writes:
          Hi all,
          I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
          Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
          Thanks for your expertise!
          Stacey

        • AdrianQ
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 21, 2011
            +1 on Eneloops + PDW Radbot 1000. The Radbot is a very thirsty light compared to Planet Bike superflashes, so it's good to have a rechargeable.

            If you want to really go bananas (pun intended) with side visibility, I've found the Monkeylectric Monkey Light to be just awesome. That's actually the side I'm most worried about; I've almost been right-hooked a few times (where the car sees you, hits the gas and tries to turn to the right in front of you). Generally, bikes are unable to correctly register the bike's speed from behind, and these were even closer than usual because of the Xtracycle's added length. For some reason, the Monkey Light's display has magically made drivers much, much less likely to right hook, partially because the front edge of my bike is clearly visible and because they can tell how fast my wheel is going around.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, ama3655@... wrote:

            > Stacey -
            >
            > I think the best deals on lighting right now are coming from Portland
            > Design Works. They are compact, inexpensive compared to many, and use standard
            > sized batteries. The Radbot 1000 and Danger Zone rear lights will really
            > get folks attention, and that's the angle I'm most paranoid about. They fit
            > the same mounts as another popular brand, and they come with a variety of
            > nice mounting options.
            >
            > For batteries I use Sanyo's Eneloop rechargeables. You can get them in AA
            > and AAA sizes, and the chargers are cheap and easy to use. If you do run
            > them down while you're out somewhere you can find non rechargeable batteries
            > that work at any grocery or convenience store.
            >
            > If you have trouble finding these locally the lighting is available at
            > biketiresdirect.com, and for batteries try batteriesamerica.com
            >
            > FatRob
            >

            > In a message dated 1/21/2011 11:11:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,
            > staceylmelis@... writes:
            >
            > Hi all,
            > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at
            > night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright
            > front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
            > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
            > Thanks for your expertise!
            > Stacey

          • Dave Lloyd
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 21, 2011
              I also highly recommend the Eneloops.  If you or someone you know has a Costco membership, the kits they sell there are usually less expensive than alternatives. The kits have 8AA batteries and 4AAA batteries for 20something bucks. A bit skimpy on the AAA batteries, but I've also used the chargers with success on other brands of low self discharge NiMH batteries like the Duracell "pre-charged" rechargable batteries.

              --dlloyd

            • Vik Banerjee
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 21, 2011
                There are a lot of very poor bike lights on the market. The B&M Ixon IQ is a great battery light.  I just got one for my GF who commutes daily.

                safe riding,

                vik

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 22, 2011
                  I second the Radbot and Planetbike. I use one of each. Nice mounts, simple AAA batts that I buy in volume from Costco. The Radbot 1000 is even visible in daylight so I use it during the day in heavily traffic.
                  Also the Monkeylectric which in addition to being visible is very amusing.
                  I use a dynamo (Supernova) up front that I run at all times.

                  David Dannenberg
                • sh8knj8kster
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, ama3655@... wrote:

                    > I think the best deals on lighting right now are coming from Portland
                    > Design Works.

                    ~~~I have to admit, I wasn't aware of this company, I went to their link and immediately checked out their bar-ista, a handlebar coffee mug holder but what really caught my eye and ended up with me buying one, is the OXO coffee travel mug they linked to

                    http://www.oxo.com/p-719-stainless-steel-liquiseal-travel-mug.aspx

                    I'm a bit of a coffee freak roasting green coffee beans in the garage, & pulling shots of espresso at home

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/4553256581/sizes/l/in/photostream/

                    but I also consume larger amounts of coffee and thought the 14 ounce OXO travel mug was worthy enough to try. If I don't like it, OXO has a 100% garunteed return policy, in that if you don't like it, send it back for a full refund

                    While at the PDW website I checked out their other wares including perusing the product videos. Nice stuff, all of it! Guess I've been outta da loop=:-)

                    Jake
                    Reddick Fla.
                    Our faults irritate us most when we see them in others.
                    -- Dutch Proverb

                    http://www.shakinjake.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/

                    > Stacey -
                    >
                    > I think the best deals on lighting right now are coming from Portland
                    > Design Works. They are compact, inexpensive compared to many, and use standard
                    > sized batteries. The Radbot 1000 and Danger Zone rear lights will really
                    > get folks attention, and that's the angle I'm most paranoid about. They fit
                    > the same mounts as another popular brand, and they come with a variety of
                    > nice mounting options.
                    >
                    > For batteries I use Sanyo's Eneloop rechargeables. You can get them in AA
                    > and AAA sizes, and the chargers are cheap and easy to use. If you do run
                    > them down while you're out somewhere you can find non rechargeable batteries
                    > that work at any grocery or convenience store.
                    >
                    > If you have trouble finding these locally the lighting is available at
                    > biketiresdirect.com, and for batteries try batteriesamerica.com
                    >
                    > FatRob
                    >

                    > In a message dated 1/21/2011 11:11:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                    > staceylmelis@... writes:
                    >
                    > Hi all,
                    > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at
                    > night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright
                    > front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
                    > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
                    > Thanks for your expertise!
                    > Stacey

                  • Elaine Nelson
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                      <snipped>
                      I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at
                      night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright
                      front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start
                      looking.
                      </snipped>

                      A quick thought re: flashing headlights...if you ride at all in the
                      dark on trails with other cyclists, PLEASE don't use flashing mode on
                      your headlights. For me personally, brilliant flashing lights coming
                      out of the darkness are totally disorientating. I've almost ridden
                      myself into a ditch a few times because of riders going the other
                      direction with flashing headlights.

                      Elaine Nelson
                      http://card.elainenelson.org/
                    • Stacey
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                        Great suggestions! Thanks, everyone for taking the time.
                        My Xtra build is in under way... excited to hit the road this week!
                        -Stacey

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Stacey" <staceylmelis@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
                        > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
                        > Thanks for your expertise!
                        > Stacey

                      • Vik Banerjee
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                          +100 - I ride a dark MUP to and from home every evening and it's harsh when folks with multiple flashing lights are coming the other way.  When I meet my GF downtown for dinner I'lll sometimes pass 20+ commuter cyclists heading home and it feels like I'm either at a rave or in a CIA interrogation...LMAO!

                          safe riding,

                          Vik

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                            If I may add a brief plug for home-made lights again -- whether you go with a dynamo (more expensive) or batteries (cheaper, more hassle), if you build your own, adding "low beams" (amber, located and/or aimed lower) costs as little as $15 -- a double-throw switch, an LED, a lens, a P-clamp, and a scrap of aluminum angle stock (I use two, not just one).

                            David

                            On 2011-01-25, at 9:28 AM, Vik Banerjee wrote:

                            > +100 - I ride a dark MUP to and from home every evening and it's harsh when folks with multiple flashing lights are coming the other way. When I meet my GF downtown for dinner I'lll sometimes pass 20+ commuter cyclists heading home and it feels like I'm either at a rave or in a CIA interrogation...LMAO!
                            >

                            > safe riding,
                            >
                            > Vik
                          • Kwikfile
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 19 8:33 AM
                              Stace,

                              I have been running NITERIDER minewts JENSENUSA carries them online. Very bright lithium battery. My commute is 30 miles each way they stay bright all the in 2+ hours. I bring the cords to recharge at work for the return trip back. Price? On sale for like $80 bucks. I run 2 on the handle bars. They also make a helmet kit too. Still runs great after an average of commuting 2-3 days per week.

                              Carl

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Stacey" <staceylmelis@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
                              > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
                              > Thanks for your expertise!
                              > Stacey

                            • poppamando
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 19 10:38 AM
                                Stacey - though not "cheap," Dinotte "Pro Series" lights have been fantastic lights for our family. They produce very bright beams that are very commuter friendly and operate on 4 AA batteries (rechargeable recommended). I've used them for years and absolutely love them. They have been an excellent value for us.

                                Their tail lights are also very bright and, on flash mode, blow away just about anything else. I've had coworkers see me in the pre-dawn darkness and tell me they thought I was an Emergency Response vehicle.

                                Their "Endurance Series" use rechargeable lithium batteries and are much more powerful (and, of course, expensive).

                                Do a bit of research and you'll find almost nothing but "glowing" reviews.

                                http://www.dinottelighting.com/

                                -Phil
                                (have no financial interest in this company)

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Stacey" <staceylmelis@...> wrote:

                                > Hi all,
                                > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
                                > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
                                > Thanks for your expertise!
                                > Stacey

                              • Vik Banerjee
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 19 10:42 AM
                                  The only trouble with Dinotte's is their symmetric beam patterns that throws the majority of their light up into the sky and unfortunately other folks' eyes:

                                  For less $ the B&M Ixon IQ is a much better light:

                                  safe riding,

                                  On 2011-02-19, at 10:38 AM, poppamando wrote:

                                  Stacey - though not "cheap," Dinotte "Pro Series" lights have been fantastic lights for our family. They produce very bright beams that are very commuter friendly and operate on 4 AA batteries (rechargeable recommended). I've used them for years and absolutely love them. They have been an excellent value for us.

                                  Their tail lights are also very bright and, on flash mode, blow away just about anything else. I've had coworkers see me in the pre-dawn darkness and tell me they thought I was an Emergency Response vehicle.

                                  Their "Endurance Series" use rechargeable lithium batteries and are much more powerful (and, of course, expensive).

                                  Do a bit of research and you'll find almost nothing but "glowing" reviews.

                                  http://www.dinottelighting.com/

                                  -Phil
                                  (have no financial interest in this company)

                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Stacey" <staceylmelis@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi all,
                                  > I'm looking for suggestions to make myself ultra-visible on my bike at night. I've seen folks riding with some really bright front/rear/flashing/solid lights, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
                                  > Budget-friendly, rechargeable, compact are preferred.
                                  > Thanks for your expertise!
                                  > Stacey

                                • poppamando
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 19 4:57 PM
                                    Vik,

                                    I have no experience with the Ix IQ, so I can't say what's worth it or not. I can say that I've never had any problem with my Dinottes and that they're easy to refocus as needed. Also, I would never run a strobe light only for front lighting unless it was during the day.

                                    I would like to see some different lenses for beam variation available for the Dinottes.

                                    -Phil

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 19 5:12 PM
                                      My choice, is home-made.

                                      Headlight:

                                      http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/a-simple-functional-home-made-headlight-mount/

                                      Taillight (just a picture):

                                      http://dr2chase.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/img_0352.jpg

                                      And I deal with the lights-in-eyes (of non-drivers) with low-beams, which are amber, constructed like the tail-light, but with a mirrored hat, mounted low on the forks. The headlight blog entry shows the location of the hi/lo switch.

                                      Understand, this does require a supply that does current limits.

                                      David
                                    • Vik Banerjee
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 19 5:31 PM
                                        Phil,

                                        The person whose bike the Dinotte is mounted to doesn't have a problem.  It's the people coming up from the rear and/or coming the other way who get blinded by these powerful symmetric beam lights.

                                        safe riding,