Need help: Bike snow plow - and finding Dave Peterson - Chicago

  • WT
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      I'm trying to prototype a bike mounted snow plow for my BD. I've got an idea in mind for a push and pull version (push version could go on any bike - pull version is X specific). So far about the only other design that I've seen was from a guy named Dave Peterson from Chicago. A link to his design is here

      http://www.appropedia.org/Bike_snow_plow

      The only info I could get on his where abouts

      http://www.appropedia.org/User:Dave-Peterson

      If anyone has experience with this type of application and/or knows how I could get in contact with Dave Peterson I would greatly appreciate it.

      Thanks,
      Wes Trout
      Shifting Gears
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2011
        I tried to build one myself this year, but it was a failure. I think mine was under-weighted, and underslanted.

        Basic design was a dowel through the rear tube, attached to a rigid wooden frame, that had a hinge in the middle to allow the plow to pivot independently of the bike. So, a hinge through the rear tube to allow the plow to pop up, and another to let it stay flat to the pavement.

        But the slant (which came from the two wooden arms, one longer than the other) was not enough. I also lacked the cool snow-throwing curve of that towed plow.