Re: Grocery Bags

  • Bruce Alan Wilson
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
      There are lots of strong canvas totes on the market.

    • sh8knj8kster
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 8, 2011
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

        > I just use a BOB trailer Dry Sak.

        ~~~The BOB dry sack will hold a *TON* of groceries, and keep them dry. It's probably the best solution, and what I'm using in this photo...in the right free rad

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/2727354550/sizes/l/in/set-72157606078542750/

        The left side I'm using the insulated bags you can buy at the grocery. At the store we shop at, they sell dry ice, which I used in these bags in the photo as I just came home from a grocery store run. FWIW I bought sonme ice cream and other frozen foods and the dry ice kept it all frozen. I didn't buy very much dry ice either (less thanb $2?), and the trip to the store in length was well better than an hour each way, and done at the peak of summer heat

        Jake
        Reddick Fla.
        BRILLIANT'S LAW OF LIMITED AMBITION: If you can't learn how to do it well learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

        http://www.shakinjake.blogspot.com/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/

        > I just use a BOB trailer Dry Sak.
        > I have 2 of them.
        > each one is about 5800 cubic inches of volume
        > they happen to fit an xtracycle quite well.
        >
        > any duffel bag does about the same.
        >
        > Devian Gilbert
        > www.AsanaCycles.com
        >
        > On Jan 6, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Shawn Antaya wrote:
        >
        > > Fabric and plastic bags are fine when dealing with small to medium
        > > quantities or when driving the car. The problem with fabric is it
        > > collapses when I load it and groceries spill out of the Xtracyle
        > > panniers. I have a hungry family of four that requires $200 plus of
        > > food every week. That's a very large load of groceries.
        > >
        > > The IKEA bags are wide but not tall enough to carry the volume I
        > > require.
        > >
        > > I never use disposable plastic bags. The paper bags are ideal
        > > because of the volume they carry, the tall sides that are strong
        > > enough to not collapse.
        > >
        > > I have tried hauling a trailer with the Xtracycle for the extra
        > > groceries but that defeats the purpose of the X. Thanks.

      • Beth Aiton
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 8, 2011
          Best bags I have used are from Safeway or whole foods. They are thermal so keep items cold, they zip closed so nothing falling out and they fit nicely in the free rad bags

          Beth Aiton
        • Sean Moore
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 9, 2011
            Ah, beersgood said what I was going to say after I figured out what Shawn's problem was.  The fabric bags from the grocery don't have long enough handles to tie together but I had some large velcro tie/wrap things that work very well to span the snapdeck.  Small ones are sold all over to wrap various household electronics cords, I think I bought mine marketed towards my construction extension cords.  They didn't work well for that but got re-purposed for groceries.  I could probably do the same thing with a short length of paracord.

            In addition, these cloth ties give a little traction on the snapdeck so your "on-deck" cargo doesn't slip around as much (unless it's very rigid and flat bottomed, then you need some rags in between the web of tied together handles).  Great for a sack of potatoes or a package of paper products, not so good for a case of beverages.

            --
            Sean Moore
            moore.sean@...

            On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM, beersgood <beckirk@...> wrote:

            I too use the X for all of our grocery runs. We use a different assortment of canvas bags and all we do is tie the handles together, this solves the spill/not stand up problem.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Antaya" <shawnantaya@...> wrote:

            > Does any body have recommendations for a bag or such that can haul groceries home?
            >
            > I've been using doubled paper grocery bags from Whole Foods but they aren't that durable and quickly end up in the recycling bin. I'm always taking new bags from friends' and neighbors' recycling bins.
            >
            > These bags are tall and strong so as to carry a week's worth of groceries for my family of four. There's always some creative packing such as using the Bobike kid seat to carry a gallon of milk; hanging fabric bags on the outside of the X with cereal boxes and other light weight items; plastic juice bottles squeeze tight into the mesh ends of the Xtracyle bags; and reverting to the backpack for those few extra items.
            >
            > When the rainy season hits here in Oakland, the bags get wet and fail. I've been riding the X for 5 years and haven't been able to find a large enough bag/container that is durable. What are your ideas?

          • Shawn Antaya
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 23, 2011
              So the perfect bags for my application has been found: Whole Foods "I Love Veggie" bags aka "A Better Bag."

              They are: tall; wide; deep; water proof; durable; fairly rigid to prevent any groceries from falling out; and only 99 cents. They work as excellent seat cushions for picnics when the grass is wet too.

              http://singersustainability.com/services/reusable-bags/

              Today was the maden voyage, $138 of groceries from Trader Joes with room for much more.

              Thanks for everybodys' contributions!

              -Shawn :-)

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Beth Aiton <coach4many@...> wrote:

              > Best bags I have used are from Safeway or whole foods. They are thermal so keep items cold, they zip closed so nothing falling out and they fit nicely in the free rad bags
              >
              > Beth Aiton

            • Rick
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 23, 2011
                Rock on, Shawn! and thanks for the bag link!