Re: Grocery Bags

  • gcisler
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
      I also use the IKEA beach bags. these are not the very shallow useless blue bags... no, these are about 2 ft tall, 2 ft wide and pure awesome. We saw some and got about 10 of 'em, and these also serve as our car shopping bags too.

      I can fit two on each side with another twelve pack and some detergent or something to fill out the space. there are also handles that i can tie together to prevent things from falling out, but these are by no means waterproof from rain.

      hope that helps!

      geoff
      Jamaica Plain, MA

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Antaya" <shawnantaya@...> wrote:

      > Fabric and plastic bags are fine when dealing with small to medium quantities or when driving the car. The problem with fabric is it collapses when I load it and groceries spill out of the Xtracyle panniers. I have a hungry family of four that requires $200 plus of food every week. That's a very large load of groceries.
      >
      > The IKEA bags are wide but not tall enough to carry the volume I require.
      >
      > I never use disposable plastic bags. The paper bags are ideal because of the volume they carry, the tall sides that are strong enough to not collapse.
      >
      > I have tried hauling a trailer with the Xtracycle for the extra groceries but that defeats the purpose of the X. Thanks.

    • beersgood
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
        I too use the X for all of our grocery runs. We use a different assortment of canvas bags and all we do is tie the handles together, this solves the spill/not stand up problem.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Antaya" <shawnantaya@...> wrote:

        > Does any body have recommendations for a bag or such that can haul groceries home?
        >
        > I've been using doubled paper grocery bags from Whole Foods but they aren't that durable and quickly end up in the recycling bin. I'm always taking new bags from friends' and neighbors' recycling bins.
        >
        > These bags are tall and strong so as to carry a week's worth of groceries for my family of four. There's always some creative packing such as using the Bobike kid seat to carry a gallon of milk; hanging fabric bags on the outside of the X with cereal boxes and other light weight items; plastic juice bottles squeeze tight into the mesh ends of the Xtracyle bags; and reverting to the backpack for those few extra items.
        >
        > When the rainy season hits here in Oakland, the bags get wet and fail. I've been riding the X for 5 years and haven't been able to find a large enough bag/container that is durable. What are your ideas?

      • wsafranek
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
          Though for most grocery shopping, I use the canvas bags we have around, I have some Mountainsmith "Cubes" That are great for packing the X also. They are tall and they have a zip closing at the top.
          They aren't water proof but they can shed light rain for quick trips.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Antaya" <shawnantaya@...> wrote:

          > Does any body have recommendations for a bag or such that can haul groceries home?
          >
          > I've been using doubled paper grocery bags from Whole Foods but they aren't that durable and quickly end up in the recycling bin. I'm always taking new bags from friends' and neighbors' recycling bins.
          >
          > These bags are tall and strong so as to carry a week's worth of groceries for my family of four. There's always some creative packing such as using the Bobike kid seat to carry a gallon of milk; hanging fabric bags on the outside of the X with cereal boxes and other light weight items; plastic juice bottles squeeze tight into the mesh ends of the Xtracyle bags; and reverting to the backpack for those few extra items.
          >
          > When the rainy season hits here in Oakland, the bags get wet and fail. I've been riding the X for 5 years and haven't been able to find a large enough bag/container that is durable. What are your ideas?

        • Bitratchet Lists
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
            I carry a few "chico" fabric bags and previously used plastic bags in
            my handlebar bag's water bottle pocket. When I get to the bike, I load
            or re-load into 15qt Sterilite tubs that I carry end-up, lid-in in the
            panniers. I can carry four of these tubs, and sit two boys atop them
            without too much discomfort. This also helps keep the rain out.
            Picture: http://bitratchet.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dscn2114-small.jpg
            Often I cover the whole desk and bags up with a home made yellow tarp
            that keeps the rain out of the panniers. This helps if I'm carrying
            kids backpacks or sweatshirts...its almost always raining when I take
            the boys to school in fall and winter.

            --
            blog.bitratchet.com @bitratchet
          • rmtaylor_co
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
              Mountainsmith makes (made?) a series of "modular hauler" bags that might address your needs. These are essentially a set of individual (fabric) weatherproof bags somewhat larger than a traditional paper grocery bag that optionally nests within a common larger bulk carrier. The individual bags have a mesh-reinforced, "clear" zip-top to contain loose items. You wouldn't need the bulk carrier bag -- just the individual "cubes." These were sold in sets of two, three, and four. Sierra Trading Post currently has "seconds" for sale on their web site. A set of four would roughly fill both sides of the xtracycle FreeLoaders. Negatives: The central grab-handle design of makes carrying loaded bags awkward if / when the top is unzipped. The handle works fine when zipped closed, but the geometry of the handle (across the top of the bag) makes carrying more than one in each hand a little awkward. There are small fabic loops sewn into the sides that allow a shoulder strap to be clipped on -- this might be a workaround for this design.

              Alternatively, check out Mountainsmith's "Basic Cube" for a design variation that has dual handles more typical of the design of a traditional shopping bag. Mountainsmith states this design variation fits into all "Modular Hauler" systems, so I gather these bags have the same volumetric capacity as the first variation.

              Hope this helps.

              Rob
            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
                There are lots of strong canvas totes on the market.

              • sh8knj8kster
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 8, 2011
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

                  > I just use a BOB trailer Dry Sak.

                  ~~~The BOB dry sack will hold a *TON* of groceries, and keep them dry. It's probably the best solution, and what I'm using in this photo...in the right free rad

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/2727354550/sizes/l/in/set-72157606078542750/

                  The left side I'm using the insulated bags you can buy at the grocery. At the store we shop at, they sell dry ice, which I used in these bags in the photo as I just came home from a grocery store run. FWIW I bought sonme ice cream and other frozen foods and the dry ice kept it all frozen. I didn't buy very much dry ice either (less thanb $2?), and the trip to the store in length was well better than an hour each way, and done at the peak of summer heat

                  Jake
                  Reddick Fla.
                  BRILLIANT'S LAW OF LIMITED AMBITION: If you can't learn how to do it well learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

                  http://www.shakinjake.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/

                  > I just use a BOB trailer Dry Sak.
                  > I have 2 of them.
                  > each one is about 5800 cubic inches of volume
                  > they happen to fit an xtracycle quite well.
                  >
                  > any duffel bag does about the same.
                  >
                  > Devian Gilbert
                  > www.AsanaCycles.com
                  >
                  > On Jan 6, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Shawn Antaya wrote:
                  >
                  > > Fabric and plastic bags are fine when dealing with small to medium
                  > > quantities or when driving the car. The problem with fabric is it
                  > > collapses when I load it and groceries spill out of the Xtracyle
                  > > panniers. I have a hungry family of four that requires $200 plus of
                  > > food every week. That's a very large load of groceries.
                  > >
                  > > The IKEA bags are wide but not tall enough to carry the volume I
                  > > require.
                  > >
                  > > I never use disposable plastic bags. The paper bags are ideal
                  > > because of the volume they carry, the tall sides that are strong
                  > > enough to not collapse.
                  > >
                  > > I have tried hauling a trailer with the Xtracycle for the extra
                  > > groceries but that defeats the purpose of the X. Thanks.

                • Beth Aiton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 8, 2011
                    Best bags I have used are from Safeway or whole foods. They are thermal so keep items cold, they zip closed so nothing falling out and they fit nicely in the free rad bags

                    Beth Aiton
                  • Sean Moore
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 9, 2011
                      Ah, beersgood said what I was going to say after I figured out what Shawn's problem was.  The fabric bags from the grocery don't have long enough handles to tie together but I had some large velcro tie/wrap things that work very well to span the snapdeck.  Small ones are sold all over to wrap various household electronics cords, I think I bought mine marketed towards my construction extension cords.  They didn't work well for that but got re-purposed for groceries.  I could probably do the same thing with a short length of paracord.

                      In addition, these cloth ties give a little traction on the snapdeck so your "on-deck" cargo doesn't slip around as much (unless it's very rigid and flat bottomed, then you need some rags in between the web of tied together handles).  Great for a sack of potatoes or a package of paper products, not so good for a case of beverages.

                      --
                      Sean Moore
                      moore.sean@...

                      On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM, beersgood <beckirk@...> wrote:

                      I too use the X for all of our grocery runs. We use a different assortment of canvas bags and all we do is tie the handles together, this solves the spill/not stand up problem.

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Antaya" <shawnantaya@...> wrote:

                      > Does any body have recommendations for a bag or such that can haul groceries home?
                      >
                      > I've been using doubled paper grocery bags from Whole Foods but they aren't that durable and quickly end up in the recycling bin. I'm always taking new bags from friends' and neighbors' recycling bins.
                      >
                      > These bags are tall and strong so as to carry a week's worth of groceries for my family of four. There's always some creative packing such as using the Bobike kid seat to carry a gallon of milk; hanging fabric bags on the outside of the X with cereal boxes and other light weight items; plastic juice bottles squeeze tight into the mesh ends of the Xtracyle bags; and reverting to the backpack for those few extra items.
                      >
                      > When the rainy season hits here in Oakland, the bags get wet and fail. I've been riding the X for 5 years and haven't been able to find a large enough bag/container that is durable. What are your ideas?

                    • Shawn Antaya
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 23 2:35 PM
                        So the perfect bags for my application has been found: Whole Foods "I Love Veggie" bags aka "A Better Bag."

                        They are: tall; wide; deep; water proof; durable; fairly rigid to prevent any groceries from falling out; and only 99 cents. They work as excellent seat cushions for picnics when the grass is wet too.

                        http://singersustainability.com/services/reusable-bags/

                        Today was the maden voyage, $138 of groceries from Trader Joes with room for much more.

                        Thanks for everybodys' contributions!

                        -Shawn :-)

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Beth Aiton <coach4many@...> wrote:

                        > Best bags I have used are from Safeway or whole foods. They are thermal so keep items cold, they zip closed so nothing falling out and they fit nicely in the free rad bags
                        >
                        > Beth Aiton

                      • Rick
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 23 2:46 PM
                          Rock on, Shawn! and thanks for the bag link!