Re: New Xtracycle on the road and a couple of questions

  • JollyW
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
      I used pieces of an old skinny inner tube around the joints so the water can't get in. I just roll them up when I need to take off the rack.
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2010
        Single sided kickstands hold up reasonably well. Loading can be trickier with heavier/awkward items which is why I appreciate my KickBack so much because I can literally be a buffoon while loading and not knock the bike over or watch it do a slow pirouette around the single sided kickstand.

        Good luck with the racks and share photos!

        "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard
        Fone   |    888.537.1401 x 85

        On Dec 19, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Bob Chmara wrote:

        Thanks for the suggestions Rick.  I’ve seen the kickstand plate, but never put 2+2 together.   That deserves a good smack on the forehead with the palm of my hand.  I now have a Greenfield kickstand mounted, but I suspect that won’t cut it once the racks are built and I start adding some weight to the back end.

        Regarding the EMT, 3/4 is a nominal measurement, and the OD is supposed to be .922” +/- .005” (23.4mm +/- 0.13mm).  I’ve purchased several small pieces for test fitting, and some fit very well, while others were too big.  Once I have the conduit bender, I’ll be hitting home depot with the trusty digital calipers in hand.  If the EMT won’t work, I’ll pick up some tubing from McMaster-Carr.

        Bob Chmara

        Southfield, Michigan, USA