Re: [rootsradicals] New Xtracycle on the road and a couple of questions

  • michael kestner
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
      I don't know how much help this is but I bought a very cheap conduit bender at Harbor Fraight. But I'm now looking for a replacment because it broke after the first use. FWIW.

      Thank You,

      Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
        On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Bob Chmara <lists@...> wrote:

        After a year of collecting parts and a very slow assembly process, I finally got my bike on the road.

        congrats!

        Besides the KickBack, what other kickstands has anyone found to work well with an X?  I like the KickBack, but it’s more than I want to spend at this point, so I’m looking for a less expensive alternative.  Due to the Free Radical tongue location, a conventional kickstand would be problematic, and the Free Radical frame would interfere with a rear triangle mounted kickstand.  On the other hand, if someone has a KickBack they want to see for a reasonable price, I’m listening!

        I have a kickback at this point, but I only added it when I added a Peapod LT and started hauling both kids at the same time. Prior to that I just used a regular kickstand mounted to the mount plate on the freerad - it was plenty solid.

        The second question is about greasing the uprights.  I plan to make my own racks from 3/4” EMT (I just need to find a 3/4” EMT conduit bender at a reasonable price).  I’m planning to grease the uprights, as I’m concerned about corrosion since the bike will be four season bike.  Is there any reason I shouldn’t apply a light coat of grease inside the uprights?

        Grease is good, boeshield or weigle's framesaver is good too. Before I got two sets of watchamacollars (again, when I added the kids) I used two pipe mending kits to make two watchamacollar type things which served double duty of locking the v racks to the freerad and also as a bit of weatherproofing. I found the kits at my local hardware store - they're like this:

        If you send me your address I'll send you a christmas present of the 2 that I'm not using anymore. Pick up two more kits and you'll be sealed up at all corners, and if your EMT ends up not being a tight fit, these will keep it from rattling.

        -Jeff
        Silver Spring, MD
      • Bob Chmara
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010

          Thanks for the suggestions Rick.  I’ve seen the kickstand plate, but never put 2+2 together.   That deserves a good smack on the forehead with the palm of my hand.  I now have a Greenfield kickstand mounted, but I suspect that won’t cut it once the racks are built and I start adding some weight to the back end.

          Regarding the EMT, 3/4 is a nominal measurement, and the OD is supposed to be .922” +/- .005” (23.4mm +/- 0.13mm).  I’ve purchased several small pieces for test fitting, and some fit very well, while others were too big.  Once I have the conduit bender, I’ll be hitting home depot with the trusty digital calipers in hand.  If the EMT won’t work, I’ll pick up some tubing from McMaster-Carr.

          Bob Chmara

          Southfield, Michigan, USA

          Web         |            http://www.xtracycle.com

          Blog         |            http://everydayadventurers.com

[...]

        • JollyW
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
            I used pieces of an old skinny inner tube around the joints so the water can't get in. I just roll them up when I need to take off the rack.
          • Rick