Re: Winter Tires

  • Proxy
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2010
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > I just installed a set of Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires on the Big Dummy based on weather predictions for Reno in the next week or so. My first experience riding on studded tires and they are LOUD. It sounds about like riding on a road that was sanded for traction just after the snow has melted, kind of a crunching sound. The rolling resistance is increased too I notice.

      When cold season started I had zip tied a few small jingle bells to my handlebars to enhance the spirit of the season. The bells took my mind off the sound of the studs. I don't think there's any part of my bike that's totally quiet anyhow: my fenders will rattle, the cargo in my tubs jounces, the change in pocket my handlebar bag jingles anyhow. And that's when I'm not traveling on the frontage road near the freeway or on the main road where traffic drowns out an audio book on a walkman (if I were wearing one).
    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2010
        On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
        > From the department of less-stupid-than-they-ought-to-be questions.
        >
        > I need to buy a couple of bike seats for my two sons; they've destroyed theirs.

        I beat the heck out of a Specialized Body Geometry saddle for 10 years
        on my mountain bike, and then another year on my Xtracycle. It was
        just comfortable enough with all the right cut-outs. They should be
        on the lower end of the price spectrum.