Re: [rootsradicals] New Xtracycle on the road and a couple of questions

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
      Congrats on the build, and way to go salvaging parts where you could. Always warms our hearts to hear old parts finding new life.

      re: kickstand

      There should be, a kickstand plate on the left side of your FreeRadical  at the joint of your front left bridge and footsie stay.

      There is the Rolling Jackass, but it's 3x more expensive than the KickBack.

      also, I noticed you have an older FreeRad frame. If you decide to go with our FreeLoader bags, you'll need the RetroFit kit for them to work.

      The rack diameters are 22.2mm or ~.874". Three-quarters is going to be a loose fit and may end up annoying you with all the rattle.

      To protect the frame (both the donor frame and your FreeRad) spray JP Weigle's Frame Saver. Surly has a spew on feeding your frame.

      Welcome to the fold!

      Rick

      "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard
      Fone   |    888.537.1401 x 85

      On Dec 19, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Bob Chmara wrote:

      After a year of collecting parts and a very slow assembly process, I finally got my bike on the road.  I’ve had it out about 10 times now, each time tweaking something or another.  Last week, I mounted the Nokian Mount ‘n Ground studs.  The frame is a 1993 Trek 930 (just because I really like lugged steel ) from Craig’s list and the fork is a Surly 1x1 from eBay.  The Free Radical was purchased from someone on the iBOB list.  Aside from the Trek frame and the Free Radical, most of the parts either came from my parts bin or from a newer Trek mountain bike I got a nice deal on, also through Craig’s List.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/23112090@N00/5275021520/

      Now I need to put the finishing touches on it.  The next two items are some V or P-racks, and a kickstand.  And thus my questions.

      Besides the KickBack, what other kickstands has anyone found to work well with an X?  I like the KickBack, but it’s more than I want to spend at this point, so I’m looking for a less expensive alternative.  Due to the Free Radical tongue location, a conventional kickstand would be problematic, and the Free Radical frame would interfere with a rear triangle mounted kickstand.  On the other hand, if someone has a KickBack they want to see for a reasonable price, I’m listening!

      The second question is about greasing the uprights.  I plan to make my own racks from 3/4” EMT (I just need to find a 3/4” EMT conduit bender at a reasonable price).  I’m planning to grease the uprights, as I’m concerned about corrosion since the bike will be four season bike.  Is there any reason I shouldn’t apply a light coat of grease inside the uprights?

      Thanks,

      Bob Chmara

      Southfield, Michigan, USA

    • michael kestner
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
        I don't know how much help this is but I bought a very cheap conduit bender at Harbor Fraight. But I'm now looking for a replacment because it broke after the first use. FWIW.

        Thank You,

        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
          On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Bob Chmara <lists@...> wrote:

          After a year of collecting parts and a very slow assembly process, I finally got my bike on the road.

          congrats!

          Besides the KickBack, what other kickstands has anyone found to work well with an X?  I like the KickBack, but it’s more than I want to spend at this point, so I’m looking for a less expensive alternative.  Due to the Free Radical tongue location, a conventional kickstand would be problematic, and the Free Radical frame would interfere with a rear triangle mounted kickstand.  On the other hand, if someone has a KickBack they want to see for a reasonable price, I’m listening!

          I have a kickback at this point, but I only added it when I added a Peapod LT and started hauling both kids at the same time. Prior to that I just used a regular kickstand mounted to the mount plate on the freerad - it was plenty solid.

          The second question is about greasing the uprights.  I plan to make my own racks from 3/4” EMT (I just need to find a 3/4” EMT conduit bender at a reasonable price).  I’m planning to grease the uprights, as I’m concerned about corrosion since the bike will be four season bike.  Is there any reason I shouldn’t apply a light coat of grease inside the uprights?

          Grease is good, boeshield or weigle's framesaver is good too. Before I got two sets of watchamacollars (again, when I added the kids) I used two pipe mending kits to make two watchamacollar type things which served double duty of locking the v racks to the freerad and also as a bit of weatherproofing. I found the kits at my local hardware store - they're like this:

          If you send me your address I'll send you a christmas present of the 2 that I'm not using anymore. Pick up two more kits and you'll be sealed up at all corners, and if your EMT ends up not being a tight fit, these will keep it from rattling.

          -Jeff
          Silver Spring, MD
        • Bob Chmara
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010

            Thanks for the suggestions Rick.  I’ve seen the kickstand plate, but never put 2+2 together.   That deserves a good smack on the forehead with the palm of my hand.  I now have a Greenfield kickstand mounted, but I suspect that won’t cut it once the racks are built and I start adding some weight to the back end.

            Regarding the EMT, 3/4 is a nominal measurement, and the OD is supposed to be .922” +/- .005” (23.4mm +/- 0.13mm).  I’ve purchased several small pieces for test fitting, and some fit very well, while others were too big.  Once I have the conduit bender, I’ll be hitting home depot with the trusty digital calipers in hand.  If the EMT won’t work, I’ll pick up some tubing from McMaster-Carr.

            Bob Chmara

            Southfield, Michigan, USA

            Web         |            http://www.xtracycle.com

            Blog         |            http://everydayadventurers.com

[...]

          • JollyW
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2010
              I used pieces of an old skinny inner tube around the joints so the water can't get in. I just roll them up when I need to take off the rack.
            • Rick