Re: [rootsradicals] Bike seat question

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2010
      I used to rag on my dad's Brooks saddle back in the day, but now I use, appreciate and love it (go '76!). But for young kids, I say replace it with a cheapy bontrager or other OEM saddle that bike shops usually have boxes of from trading in/upgrading for new bike sales.

      The neoprene covers slide around, usually, and can rip easily too.

      Cheers,
      Rick

      "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard
      Fone   |    888.537.1401 x 85

      On Dec 19, 2010, at 6:26 AM, David Chase wrote:

      From the department of less-stupid-than-they-ought-to-be questions.

      I need to buy a couple of bike seats for my two sons; they've destroyed theirs.

      I'm not buying them Brooks, and they might not like that anyway. (Does that make me a cheap, mean, dad?)

      Any suggestions, in the category of good-enough-without-sucking? I think they like a little padding, but have no particular desire to ride on a bag of marshmallows. And their stuff gets treated not-too-well, though I do spring for the neoprene saddle covers because that really helps.

      Bonus points if it is available from Amazon (one last order for the year, I think) otherwise I will wander down to LBS and look at their selection. And I may do that anyway.

      Thanks much,

      David

    • Proxy
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2010
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > I just installed a set of Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires on the Big Dummy based on weather predictions for Reno in the next week or so. My first experience riding on studded tires and they are LOUD. It sounds about like riding on a road that was sanded for traction just after the snow has melted, kind of a crunching sound. The rolling resistance is increased too I notice.

        When cold season started I had zip tied a few small jingle bells to my handlebars to enhance the spirit of the season. The bells took my mind off the sound of the studs. I don't think there's any part of my bike that's totally quiet anyhow: my fenders will rattle, the cargo in my tubs jounces, the change in pocket my handlebar bag jingles anyhow. And that's when I'm not traveling on the frontage road near the freeway or on the main road where traffic drowns out an audio book on a walkman (if I were wearing one).
      • Andrew Kreps
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2010
          On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
          > From the department of less-stupid-than-they-ought-to-be questions.
          >
          > I need to buy a couple of bike seats for my two sons; they've destroyed theirs.

          I beat the heck out of a Specialized Body Geometry saddle for 10 years
          on my mountain bike, and then another year on my Xtracycle. It was
          just comfortable enough with all the right cut-outs. They should be
          on the lower end of the price spectrum.