RE: [rootsradicals] bicycle camping

    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 18, 2007

      Anne,

                  The only way I would imagine you could haul those 28’ tipi poles would probably be if you cut them in half. . Of course what you would have to do is also improvise some sort of extension coupler, which would connect two of the 14’ pole halves to form the full length 28’ tipi poles. I do not know how thick the poles are, but I would imagine if you got some sort of piping, perhaps 2’ lengths of metal or maybe even strong bamboo for each of the 14 poles, that might work.

                  In my own experience 12’ long planks and 2”x4”s are the longest objects I have carried on my Xtracycle, but I think a person could manage a 14’ long item or a bundle of them. As for the 70 lbs of tipi coverings, I would imagine that should not be a problem, but it might be a bit awkward. I once carried a high-quality artificial Xmas tree in its original box direct from the factory in Hoboken, NJ along with its 35 lb base. The Xmas tree weighed 60-65lbs itself. That boxed Xmas tree was pretty bulky and definitely a bit awkward, but I managed to get it back home all the way from Jersey, through Manhattan, and out to Brooklyn. The employees and one of the managers from the Xmas company in Jersey all came out to watch me load and ride off in astonishment while taking some pictures to put up on their wall. J

      Jeff Ong,

                  Welcome!

      Anne, Mark, Devian, or anyone else this applies to,

                  I have a special request to some of you on the Xtracycle list. I have been noticing some of you tend to utilize some sort of automatic quoting system when you reply to a message. This causes your response message to be unnecessarily long. When a number of list members have replied to a post and each of them has automatic quoting the resulting messages become super long, as in pages and pages in length. All I am personally asking is that people turn off their automatic quoting. When I feel the need to specifically reference something a person said earlier, I simply manually go back to that message and copy and paste what was said. All the extra needless quoting ends up adding bandwidth to message downloading and taking up more screen space. I hope I do not sound uptight about this or anything.

                  Ride safe everyone,

      _TONE_

    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 19, 2007
        On 7/18/07, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

          I have a special request to some of you on the Xtracycle list. I have been noticing some of you tend to utilize some sort of automatic quoting system when you reply to a message.

        _TONE_

         RATS!  guilty!  damn damn damn.....OK, a brief explanation!  I try, I really DO!  But i keep forgetting that the damned Gmail automatically quotes the entire message from whomever you are replying.  I will try to remember not to do this.  I miss my old system that simply made a reply and you had to manually quote the pertinent text!  this is the exact opposite!

        my apologies!

        mark

        Mark  Garvey
        Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

        Check out the web site at:
        http://www.vine-ave.com

        contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

        I am a bicycling lifestylist!
      • Anne Littlebird
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 19, 2007
          Unfortunately cutting and sleeving poles won't work. It creates a
          problem not only with stability but also with drips in the interior. But
          since that's the only thing that an Xtyracycle can not haul for me I'm
          still looking at going carless. Up until this last year I couldn't
          conceive of such since I was having to haul around a full sized harp.
          Since I'm not doing that anymore I can use the X to get the rest of my
          instruments where I need to go.

          I'm thinking that I'll try it for 6 months - take the car off the road,
          remove the plates etc and see if I can do it. Right now it's too easy to
          get lazy and take the car - like today when they are predicting severe
          storms by this afternoon on the commute home. I need to check with my
          insurance co too to see what my options are. Once you cancel your
          insurance it's hell to get it back.

          When I have to move the tipi I'll either have to find someone else in my
          area going the same way and ride with them or rent a truck with a square
          hitch for the back carrier that supports the length. It's not like i
          move them every weekend.

          Anne
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 19, 2007
            On 2007-07-19, at 7:25 AM, Anne Littlebird wrote:
            > When I have to move the tipi I'll either have to find someone else
            > in my
            > area going the same way and ride with them or rent a truck with a
            > square
            > hitch for the back carrier that supports the length. It's not like i
            > move them every weekend.
            How far do you move it, usually? I imagine you could recycle an old
            worn-out
            kids trailer, put one end of the poles on that (lashing trailer hitch
            to poles), attach
            the other to the X (in a way that allows the rear to swivel), and
            then you would
            be a Very Long Load.

            But that would be slow, and might even be dangerous. Certainly, in city
            traffic, you would confuse people in cars.

            David
          • jegarh@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 19, 2007
              Anne said.......
              > When I have to move the tipi I'll either have to find someone else
              > in my
              > area going the same way and ride with them

              I built a 17' Cheyenne tipi in 1975 and have camped in it in Co. Az. Ok and Tx.

              My lodge pine poles are 24' and the set weighs a "ton".

              You could rig up to move them one at a time. An extreme bike flag.

              Moving the 60# cover, the linings, floor covering, buffalo robes, parfleches and your scalp pole could be done in several trips with a small trailer. I love mine if I am going to be camped for at least a week. My wife makes me put it up and take it down. She won't do it and won't let me marry a couple of younger ladies to help her.

              Jerry (Standing Bare) Rhodes

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 6, 2007
                I keep thinking about Anne's problem of how to haul 14 28-foot tipi
                poles on her xtracycle...

                Maybe there's an idea here:
                <http://www.urbanvelo.org/issue3/urbanvelo3_p70-71.html>

                Or here (especially the 19th picture down):
                <http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/>

                Or, more practically, here:
                <http://www.bikesatwork.com/>
                Which shows someone hauling a 24-foot extension ladder.

                CL

                --

                Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                Cara Lin Bridgman