Re: [rootsradicals] angle iron thickness

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2010
      The aluminum angle iron should cover you fine. Just make sure you're using 3/8" or thicker for the aluminum stock.

      "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard
      Fone   |    888.537.1401 x 85

      On Nov 30, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Jeff Lesperance wrote:

      I've done it with aluminum angle iron (to attach freerad to an Electra Straight 8 - very wide chainstays). I picked it up at Home Depot for under $10 and used a dremel to cut it to length, and to cut a small opening to allow fore/aft adjustment of the tongue, then dipped the ends in plasti-dip. I can dig it out (no longer installed on the Straight 8) to measure size/thickness and take some pics later tonight.

      On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM, jj velvetackbar <jj@...> wrote:

      So my wife's ride is a stoked X attached to a Electra Amsterdam 8speed. Overall, it works well, but we heard some odd noises and rode it down to Clevercycles only for them to discover that the kickstand mount bracket had cracked away from the main frame of the bicycle.

      Perhaps this was wishful thinking anyway: Ultimately, using the kickstand bracket was a sub-optimal solution to begin with as the space is too wide for a FAP plate, and the kickstand bracket wasn't strong enough and was oddly position right out of the gate.

      Todd at Clever suggested Angle iron, and fashioning a FAP plate from that. I generally like that idea, and am sourcing out 316 stainless angle, but since I have no stainless on hand, I am not sure what to order: my hunch says that .75 with 1/8" width would work, but thats just a hunch on my part.

      option #2 is to use square iron, stainless and notch it to accept tongue and bolts, but thats 4x the price of angle.

      Anyone have any experience crafting new FAPS? what did you come up with that worked?

      Oh, and a local welder quoted me $150, so that isn't going to happen :-(

      jj

    • jj velvetackbar
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
        Sorry, Rick.

        don't mean to be obtuse, but 3/8" thick angle puts the "legs" at 2.5":

        http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=995&step=4&showunits=inches&id=62&top_cat=60

        is that what you think I should use? I would be worried that this would be too low for the bottom half of the bracket.

        or were you thinking 3/8" for flat stock?

        http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18150&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1282&top_cat=60

        Not that I endorse these sites,  but they offered me a great visual reference.

        JJ

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
          Sorry, flat stock is what I was thinking... Knew there was something funky about it when I was typing. :)

          You just want enough stiffness in the flat stock bar to prevent it from deforming under tightening and load.

          On Dec 1, 2010, at 12:42 PM, jj velvetackbar wrote:

          Sorry, Rick.

          don't mean to be obtuse, but 3/8" thick angle puts the "legs" at 2.5":

          http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=995&step=4&showunits=inches&id=62&top_cat=60

          is that what you think I should use? I would be worried that this would be too low for the bottom half of the bracket.

          or were you thinking 3/8" for flat stock?

          http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18150&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1282&top_cat=60

          Not that I endorse these sites,  but they offered me a great visual reference.

          JJ

          On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Rick <rick@...> wrote:
          The aluminum angle iron should cover you fine. Just make sure you're using 3/8" or thicker for the aluminum stock.

          <xc-rick-friendsdont.jpg>

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
            I temporarily fabbed a fake FAP when I first acquired an xtracycle. Pictures here, some blurry.

            The angle iron was nothing special, BUT I used large washer to spread the load off the freeradical tongue and the head of the bolt, and also used some gasket material to protect the frame and prevent rattling (note that I needed two FAPS, and the geometry of the bike really wanted the tongue to be between them. So I stacked washers until I the play was well less than the thickness of the gasket stuff.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
            • jj
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2011
                Here are photos of my solution.

                http://velvetackbar.com/image/tid/2

                enjoy!

                JJ

                --
                My opinions are my own. They are not the opinions of any employer, current or past, nor my spouse, current. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a total moron.