Re: tire pressure in icy conditions

  • BitRatchet Lists
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2010
      I biked a few days in Bellingham on my XC with 35mm Schwalbe Marathon
      Winters and I didn't have any slippage. Read the ice biking website if
      you haven't. Pretty much: avoid the ice if you can, avoid snowy
      shoulders where new drift has covered ice. This latter condition is far
      more treacherous because the snow lubricates lumpy ice which torques
      your stearing and makes you drift farther into the gutter.

      I went up Northwest almost to Ferndale and back and with my tires
      between 30-35psi, I had no problem on ice or snow. I was carrying over
      60lbs of groceries to the farmers market and one of my boys to school.

      The Winter Biking thread on bikeforums.net is also instructive.
      Basically: use the studs if you have them. Feel free to contact me
      offline to compare notes further.