Re: [rootsradicals] handlebar music [was Re: spoke lights]

  • merlin@re-cycle.org
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi

      I use my Snowboard helmet, which has built in headphones for an extra $15odd
      The headphones are flat and sit outside your ears, so sound can get
      in from outside, for safety
      I figure a lot of people like music and more would cycle if they
      could listen to their music while they do.

      The helmets are v sturdy, much more so than a bike helmet, which are
      not that strong.

      http://www.pro-tec.net/B2Wht.html# - see two icons at bottom of page
      for SXP + Audio Force
      http://snowboards-for-sale.com/snowboard_helmets/b2/

      Cheers

      Merlin
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
        Mine is pictured at
        http://www.dtovey.net/~dwight/Cycling_Stuff/TailLight_Comparison/

        (I was wonderign why it would get into Treehugger, since it's not
        dynamo-driven, just plain ol' batteries...)

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007

          Justina,

                      Congrats on your Xtracycle purchase! You will surely love it.

                      Also congratulations on moving to Seattle from Jersey. I mainly say that because of what you said regarding biking in NYC and only getting hit by a car after moving to New Jersey. I realize drivers on non-urban roadways are not expecting cyclists as you mentioned, but let’s face it… you were in Jersey. J No offense to any Jersey folks on the list. I am sure any Xtracycle riders would be excellent and courteous drivers, but statistically Jersey has the highest accident and insurance rates. Oddly enough on average New Jersey has the lowest nationwide gas prices. Go figure. J

          Jesse,

                      What you mention about few Xtracycles in DC is similar to how it is in NYC. To me having an Xtracycle in NYC makes complete sense and from personal experience it WAS/IS incredibly practical. However after riding an Xtracycle for over three years there, I estimate there are a dozen or less Xtracycles in the city. I was probably one of the first three Xtracycle riders in NYC, and was approached directly by Xtracycle to spread the word to messengers. Surprisingly enough no other messengers ever went the Xtracycle way. There are a few messenger companies using cargo-bike variants, but I only know of one other messenger, who has one, and he only got it after I moved.

                      I can say I definitely noticed an increase in NYC Xtracycles since I got mine. I certainly tried to pump it up there. I suppose going from three Xtracycles when I got mine three years ago to a dozen is not too bad. That is more than triple. It is not like I buy a bike every year, so I suppose as cyclists start to wear out their old bikes and make the leap to a cargo bike they might go the way of the Xtracycle.