  • Beth Aiton
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20 11:28 PM
      Like Sarah,I love battery operated xmas lights, I bought some last year and messed around with them for a bit without much luck until the light bulb went off (pun intended). I have the DIY plastic deck. I bought it for winter to keep my wood deck from getting ruined by snow and salt. The little led lights fit right in the holes. I think there are 22 holes and the lights come in strings of 18. By the end of winter mine were dead since they are for indoor use, so when I saw them at Target this year I stocked up in a bunch of different colors. I put them in from the bottom, duct tape them in place, this also provides a water barrier and place the battery box in the zippered pocket of my bag. Lights up great. I just put on tonight and my daughter complained she was temporarily blinded by the brightness of the lights. Also, this time of year Home Depot has a great deal on headlamps. I think you can get a pack of 3 for 10.00. I threaded the elastic through my helmet vent holes then attached the lights to the front and back. White for front and red for back.

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21 9:25 AM
        Speaking of head mounted lights, check out the ones from Fenix. They have three models with street prices in the $45 to $100 range. All are listed as waterproof to 2 meters depth and with voltage regulation so they stay near the same brightness for most of battery life. Bright too as maximum claimed outputs are from 105 to 230 Lumens depending on model.

        In this price range the waterproofing is unique so far as I can find. The only voltage regulated Petzl starts at about the same price as the most expensive Fenix.

        In my experience the cheap headlamps have too little output to be suitable for cycling for other than a "to be seen by" use.

        Rich Wood