Re: downlighting (or other) options?

  • Sarah Hunter
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2010
      I'm very low tech. I own a soldering iron, but haven't used it in decades.

      I bought battery powered LED Christmas lights (multi-colored) or Halloween lights (all-orange), which run on 2- AA-rechargeable batteries.

      About now, when it's dark on both ends of my commute, I put a string on each wheel, using zip-ties to secure the lights and making sure the on/off switch and battery pack are accessible. Depending on my mood, and if I'm riding in parades I use more strings (still with zip ties to attach the light strings). The charge on the batteries usually lasts at least until the season has changed and I don' t need lights for the commute. (I have a very short required commute, the package advertises 150 hours, but doesn't say if that's in steady mode or twinkle mode.)

      I bought the Halloween lights on sale a couple of years ago -- something like $2/string. Haven't installed them yet for the year. Good inspiration for the weekend.

      Sarah H.