Re: top speed on stoked X...was electra amsterdam balloon 8

  • todd
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2010
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mickyle <xydeco@...> wrote:

      > Todd, and any others so moved: What would you say is the top
      > sustainable cruising speed on a lightly loaded or unloaded stoked X?

      as documented, SM is limited to 20mph "out of the box" at the insistence of our insurance company. i think that's plenty fast to be moving big loads with common bicycle components. but SM has the energetic potential to move a light load at about 27 mph on level ground if geared high enough, with no rider effort. this is without any aerodynamic treatment, and 720W of input power (which your 3rd-party battery may or may not be up to sustaining). wind resistance, not load, is by far the biggest impediment to high speeds on level ground.
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2010
        One day here in Central Taiwan, when trying to get to the train station
        on time, I did 35 kph (about 22 mph) on fairly level road. Total
        distance to the train station is about 14 km, but I used the assist for
        a little more than half. I was pedaling hard, the stokemonkey just
        helped me go from working hard at about 22 kph to working hard at about
        35 kph. Someone with more power in their pedaling ought to be able to
        go faster. Biggest disadvantage of going that fast was the motorbikes
        and cars weren't expecting it. They had a tendency to cut me off by
        changing lanes into me.

        I still had enough power in my battery to get me home, but I didn't push
        it and went easy on the watts--no train to catch. Usually, I use the
        stokemonkey to make my usual speeds a little easier.

        At that time, I was still using the stock stokemonkey battery (large
        size). I had an earlier model stokemonkey controller, so I don't think
        I had the US 20 mph limit on it.

        CL