Re: A bike story

  • Jeff Ong
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
      I know what you mean about trying to decide which bike gets the axe. I
      recently built up my X. I have been living without a car for a few
      years (hauling stuff around in a huge messenger bag), and I already
      had three bikes: a fast road bike, a mountain bike which is pretty
      much exclusively for riding singletrack, and a mountain bike which I
      had converted to a fast city-bike, with drop bars and narrow tires.

      I felt like kind of a tool for trying to cram a fourth bike into my
      apartment, but I couldn't really see giving up any of those bikes, or
      turning one into a cargo-hauler... I ride all three of them every
      week, for totally different purposes. So I bought a cheap steel frame
      on eBay and built up the X as a fourth bike, which lives out in the
      locked alley behind my house.... I'm really liking it, so far. Hoping
      to do some camping, but mostly using it to haul groceries,
      dry-cleaning, and all the usual suspects!

      For what it's worth, the X feels really nice and strong and powerful
      when I get back on it after riding my other bikes... and they feel
      really light and agile and fast after the X. So far so good!

      (Oh, and hi -- just joined the group!)

      - Jeff