PDW Radbot 1000 on Sale

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
      Amazon currently has this taillight for $21.02. List on the PDW web site is $32. It is considerably brighter than the Planet Bike Superflash (PBSF) and has a built-in EU legal reflector. If you do not ride in a group this is a great taillight but it is probably too bright for following cyclists when group riding.

      I have several of them and the latest one has a revised blink mode that Portland Dersign Works refers to as the "cornea blitz" mode. This replaces a mode that was 1 long blink and 3 shorter ones, repeated. The other modes, continuous on and blink mode, are unchanged. The cornea blitz mose is a fairly high speed flashing mode with what appears to me to be a randomly variable flashing intensity.

      To me one advantage over the PBSF is that the body and cover are screwed together so it takes a philips screwdriver to change the battery. IMO much less chance of losing part of the light, a reported problem with the PBSF.

      BTW the PBSF and Radbot 1000 use the same mounts so are interchangeable on a bike which has the PBSF mount already. The Radbot 1000 includes seatpost, seatstay and rack mounts.

      http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Design-Works-Radbot-Light/dp/B0030BS30K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

      Rich Wood
    • ama3655@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
        Rich -

        I've been using a couple Radbot 500's for a few months now. I tried them because of the reflectors - they are a legal requirement here. The 500's are approximately 500 less rad than the 1000's, give or take. They are less bright, but I hear that the batteries last longer.

        I love these things. They do everything I need, and the price is way better than a Dinotte or equivalent. Plus, they are Rad. I'll probably try a 1000 just so I can retaliate and blind some friends that use Dinotte taillights. They deserve some cheap competition.

        FatRob

        In a message dated 11/7/2010 2:50:30 P.M. Central Standard Time, astronut1001@... writes:
[...]

      • Vik Banerjee
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
          Mec.ca sells radbot 1000s for $17.50cdn.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
            After the $19 shipping plus customs, it is a bit expensive coming into the US. For Canadians that looks like a nice store.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
              It's ideal if you can walk into the store and buy them.  You can also buy more than 1 item and defray the shipping cost over multiple items.  Based on my experience shipping cross border you won't pay any customs charges, but you will probably pay state sales tax on the items.

              safe riding,

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                Wow! That's a great deal on a great light!

                IMO, the "cornea blitz" mode sounds like a nice improvement over the Pop mode, or whatever it's called in the first gen. I've always wished mine had a faster flashing mode.

                I will add that the Radbot 1000 really chews up batteries, so you should invest in some rechargeables.... yeah, that prob, goes without saying...

                It seems I'm recharging my Radbot 1000 weekly, where I was recharging my PBSF every two weeks. I guess The Pop takes a lot of juice.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                > Amazon currently has this taillight for $21.02. List on the PDW web site is $32. It is considerably brighter than the Planet Bike Superflash (PBSF) and has a built-in EU legal reflector. If you do not ride in a group this is a great taillight but it is probably too bright for following cyclists when group riding.
                >
                > I have several of them and the latest one has a revised blink mode that Portland Dersign Works refers to as the "cornea blitz" mode. This replaces a mode that was 1 long blink and 3 shorter ones, repeated. The other modes, continuous on and blink mode, are unchanged. The cornea blitz mose is a fairly high speed flashing mode with what appears to me to be a randomly variable flashing intensity.
                >
                > To me one advantage over the PBSF is that the body and cover are screwed together so it takes a philips screwdriver to change the battery. IMO much less chance of losing part of the light, a reported problem with the PBSF.
                >
                > BTW the PBSF and Radbot 1000 use the same mounts so are interchangeable on a bike which has the PBSF mount already. The Radbot 1000 includes seatpost, seatstay and rack mounts.
                >
                > http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Design-Works-Radbot-Light/dp/B0030BS30K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
                >
                > Rich Wood

              • Rich
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                  The PBSF uses a 1/2 watt LED and within each light pulse uses high frequency pulsing to reduce power draw. It actually has a relatively sophisticated drive circuit to maximize battery life. The Radbot has a 1 watt LED and the power to it is not modulated though I doubt that it is driven at the full 1 watt LED rating. I say that as with AAA battery capacity the batteries would have a life of under 3 hours in the continuous on mode if drawing LED full rated wattage.

                  Rich Wood

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

                  > Wow! That's a great deal on a great light!
                  >
                  > IMO, the "cornea blitz" mode sounds like a nice improvement over the Pop mode, or whatever it's called in the first gen. I've always wished mine had a faster flashing mode.
                  >
                  > I will add that the Radbot 1000 really chews up batteries, so you should invest in some rechargeables.... yeah, that prob, goes without saying...
                  >
                  > It seems I'm recharging my Radbot 1000 weekly, where I was recharging my PBSF every two weeks. I guess The Pop takes a lot of juice.
                  >

                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Amazon currently has this taillight for $21.02. List on the PDW web site is $32. It is considerably brighter than the Planet Bike Superflash (PBSF) and has a built-in EU legal reflector. If you do not ride in a group this is a great taillight but it is probably too bright for following cyclists when group riding.
                  > >
                  > > I have several of them and the latest one has a revised blink mode that Portland Dersign Works refers to as the "cornea blitz" mode. This replaces a mode that was 1 long blink and 3 shorter ones, repeated. The other modes, continuous on and blink mode, are unchanged. The cornea blitz mose is a fairly high speed flashing mode with what appears to me to be a randomly variable flashing intensity.
                  > >
                  > > To me one advantage over the PBSF is that the body and cover are screwed together so it takes a philips screwdriver to change the battery. IMO much less chance of losing part of the light, a reported problem with the PBSF.
                  > >
                  > > BTW the PBSF and Radbot 1000 use the same mounts so are interchangeable on a bike which has the PBSF mount already. The Radbot 1000 includes seatpost, seatstay and rack mounts.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Design-Works-Radbot-Light/dp/B0030BS30K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
                  > >
                  > > Rich Wood

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                    Another seriously bright taillight, at least by specification, I ran across at a reasonable price is the Knog Boomer. As with other Knog lights this has a silicone rubber based body with integral strap to wrap around a handlebar or seatpost. The Boomer is larger though and takes two AAA batteries rather than Lithium coin cells.

                    The red LED Boomer taillight version CLAIMS an output of 30 Lumens and the white LED headlight version claims to have an output of 50 Lumens. In comparison the PBSF has an output of about 5 Lumens.

                    Jenson has both the headlight and taillight versions available in various colors for under $20 apiece.

                    Per the Knog web site there is a rechargeable version of the Boomer that recharges from a USB port coming shortly.

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                    > The PBSF uses a 1/2 watt LED and within each light pulse uses high frequency pulsing to reduce power draw. It actually has a relatively sophisticated drive circuit to maximize battery life. The Radbot has a 1 watt LED and the power to it is not modulated though I doubt that it is driven at the full 1 watt LED rating. I say that as with AAA battery capacity the batteries would have a life of under 3 hours in the continuous on mode if drawing LED full rated wattage.
                    >
                    > Rich Wood
                    >
                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Wow! That's a great deal on a great light!
                    > >
                    > > IMO, the "cornea blitz" mode sounds like a nice improvement over the Pop mode, or whatever it's called in the first gen. I've always wished mine had a faster flashing mode.
                    > >
                    > > I will add that the Radbot 1000 really chews up batteries, so you should invest in some rechargeables.... yeah, that prob, goes without saying...
                    > >
                    > > It seems I'm recharging my Radbot 1000 weekly, where I was recharging my PBSF every two weeks. I guess The Pop takes a lot of juice.
                    > >

                    > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Amazon currently has this taillight for $21.02. List on the PDW web site is $32. It is considerably brighter than the Planet Bike Superflash (PBSF) and has a built-in EU legal reflector. If you do not ride in a group this is a great taillight but it is probably too bright for following cyclists when group riding.
                    > > >
                    > > > I have several of them and the latest one has a revised blink mode that Portland Dersign Works refers to as the "cornea blitz" mode. This replaces a mode that was 1 long blink and 3 shorter ones, repeated. The other modes, continuous on and blink mode, are unchanged. The cornea blitz mose is a fairly high speed flashing mode with what appears to me to be a randomly variable flashing intensity.
                    > > >
                    > > > To me one advantage over the PBSF is that the body and cover are screwed together so it takes a philips screwdriver to change the battery. IMO much less chance of losing part of the light, a reported problem with the PBSF.
                    > > >
                    > > > BTW the PBSF and Radbot 1000 use the same mounts so are interchangeable on a bike which has the PBSF mount already. The Radbot 1000 includes seatpost, seatstay and rack mounts.
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Design-Works-Radbot-Light/dp/B0030BS30K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
                    > > >
                    > > > Rich Wood

                  • Matthew Brealey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010

                      I have a Magicshine MJ-818 on my Ute (mounted using the supplied o-ring to the rack)

                      It runs off a custom 4x18650 (lithium) battery pack

                      I bought mine as a set with battery pack and charger for $58 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42077

                      Battery life is around nine hours, then it switches to blinking mode before dying several hours later.

                      They are 85 lumens. 3 Watts.

                      They are pretty blindingly bright:

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY08heMJpnE

                      Reliability is from what I’ve heard questionable – if you want quality, then Dinotte is the way to go:

                      140L:  $120 (uses AA batteries (not supplied) in a supplied pouch) – 140 lumens

                      300R: $200 (integrated battery, USB charging)  - 300 lumens

                      400R: $229 (with 2-cell battery – 400 lumens

                      There are some shots of the 140L against the MJ-818 here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=620340

                      Basically:

                      PBSF: ½ watt

                      Radbot 1000: 1W

                      M7-818: 3W

                      Dinotte 140L: 3W, but with better optics

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 9, 2010
                        Other than some of the Dinotte taillights the Magicshine is about the brightest bicycle taillight available that I am aware of. As noted it does use a separate Lithium Ion battery pack which can be a mounting inconvenience.

                        The main US source has been Geomangear but they have temporarily ceased selling Magicshine lights due recent to quality problems with the battery packs. They are reportedly working with the vendor to resolve the problem.

                        http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_41&zenid=d0ck69vtaba6gvm0pkclq6ej20

                        Reviews on Bike Forums have been mixed on the Magicshine taillight.

                        Rich Wood