Re: foot pegs?

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
      Matthew,

      I installed some Odyssey (sp?) fork pegs on my BD's v-racks after seeing them in use online. Since these things are old-school BMX add-ons, they're no longer available and I needed to find them online via E-bay. It took about thirteen aluminum can shims to get the diameter right, but they work like a charm. They even fold up out of the way when my kids aren't using them.

      Scott

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Brealey" <thelawnet@...> wrote:

      > I have a Kona Ute and I really need some foot pegs for it. Has anyone done
      > this?

    • jtrops
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
        I made some from steel angle with an old inner tube over it strapped to my V-racks with hose clamps. They don't fold out of the way, but they aren't really in the way, and they work. I think in all it cost me three dollars in hardware, and maybe five minutes to get them on.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Brealey" <thelawnet@...> wrote:

        > I have a Kona Ute and I really need some foot pegs for it. Has anyone done
        > this?

      • evanfhlewis
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
          Hey,

          I have a Kona Ute as well and while I haven't put foot pegs on that bike yet, I just put "foot pegs" on my Big Dummy for my daughter to use when we go to school.

          I used Specialized bull horn bar ends and sawed the last turn off them (you don't have to do this). They were the perfect diameter for the vertical P-rack bars of my Big Dummy and so far, are working perfectly. I think they cost $15.00, took 5 minutes to saw off the ends, and 5 minutes to install. I'll post a picture of the rig that includes modification of the rear deck.

          BTW, while it's my daughter using the pegs, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't work for an adult.

          Best regards,
          Evan

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Brealey" <thelawnet@...> wrote:

          > I have a Kona Ute and I really need some foot pegs for it. Has anyone done
          > this?

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
            I thought I remembered from years ago that motorcycle clamp-on folding footpegs used to be common. A Google search turned up some from JC Whitney. They are also known as "Highway Pegs".

            http://www.jcwhitney.com/clamp-on-folding-motorcycle-foot-pegs/p2002581.jcwx

            Here is another source with quite a variety of styles at reasonable prices, at least compared to the "custom" machined stuff.

            http://crescentmooncycles.com/html/highway_foot_pegs.html

            I am confident that a trip to a Harley or other motorcycle shop dealing with V twin cruiser type motorcycles would turn up others.

            Rich Wood

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "evanfhlewis" <evanlewis1@...> wrote:

            > Hey,
            >
            > I have a Kona Ute as well and while I haven't put foot pegs on that bike yet, I just put "foot pegs" on my Big Dummy for my daughter to use when we go to school.
            >
            > I used Specialized bull horn bar ends and sawed the last turn off them (you don't have to do this). They were the perfect diameter for the vertical P-rack bars of my Big Dummy and so far, are working perfectly. I think they cost $15.00, took 5 minutes to saw off the ends, and 5 minutes to install. I'll post a picture of the rig that includes modification of the rear deck.
            >
            > BTW, while it's my daughter using the pegs, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't work for an adult.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Evan
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Brealey" <thelawnet@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have a Kona Ute and I really need some foot pegs for it. Has anyone done
            > > this?

          • Rich
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
              I would add that you want to be careful clamping to V rack or H rack tubing as that is thin wall aluminmum I believe. Motorcycle round frame and "safety bars" tubes are normally a lot thicker wall than bicycle stuff.

              Rich Wood