Re: [rootsradicals] Ugliest Cargo Bike?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
      It's got nowhere near the flexibility of an xtracycle. Basically, you
      can only carry whatever you can fit into the baskets. Admittedly, this
      will accommodate most loads, but I think I can load a whole lot more
      kindling on my x than is show at <http://www.christophemachet.com/?p=6>.
      Can't be all that comfortable for the passenger, either...

      CL

      Rich wrote:
      > Here are a couple of links to a small wheel IGH cargo bike that is basically two big shopping baskets. IMO ugly but it may be practical. I believe the one shown in the photos is a prototype as I cannot find a manufacturer with a Google search.
      >
      > http://gizmodo.com/5679013/camioncyclette-a-shopping-cart-that-you-can-ride
      >
      > or
      >
      > http://www.christophemachet.com/?p=6

    • fred
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
        Granted it's not as practical or versatile as an X but it could be useful in some situations, particularly carrying a lot of small things in a huge bag or groceries from a market. It could also be fun to stuff a lot of kids into that, too (not as comfortable as a proper seat, though). Definitely good to carry watermelons :-)

        Fred

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

        > It's got nowhere near the flexibility of an xtracycle. Basically, you
        > can only carry whatever you can fit into the baskets. Admittedly, this
        > will accommodate most loads, but I think I can load a whole lot more
        > kindling on my x than is show at <http://www.christophemachet.com/?p=6>.
        > Can't be all that comfortable for the passenger, either...
        >
        > CL
        >
        > Rich wrote:
        > > Here are a couple of links to a small wheel IGH cargo bike that is basically two big shopping baskets. IMO ugly but it may be practical. I believe the one shown in the photos is a prototype as I cannot find a manufacturer with a Google search.
        > >
        > > http://gizmodo.com/5679013/camioncyclette-a-shopping-cart-that-you-can-ride
        > >
        > > or
        > >
        > > http://www.christophemachet.com/?p=6

      • Sam Knight
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
          One thing this bike does have is a wheelbase closer to that of a regular bike.  An impediment for a lot of folks I talk to about my FreeRad converted bike is simply lack of space to store it.  Folks in apartments or other situations really may not want to store a bike outside and have little room available in a shed or storage room, I know I'm not swimming in storage.  Those same folks also probably tend to live closer to grocery stores or markets and do their shopping in smaller bits.  And really, not everyone is interested in moving a couch on their bike or taking passengers.  For them, an X might be overkill.  I love my X and this gorgeously ugly little bike wouldn't make sense for me, but I can definitely see a large urban population that this would make more sense for.

          Random afterthoughts: I'm sure some people see the baskets as restrictive for loading, but I'm looking at all those steel wires and tubes as perfect for bungee cord anchors for stuff on the outside of the baskets.  You could probably really easily hang a traditional pannier on the outside too.  I'm also diggin on the integrated lights. Needs fenders.

          -Sam
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
            All those baskets give the bike a wide profile. I can see it taking up
            as much width as the x takes up length.

            CL
            who thinks all work bikes need fenders.

            Sam Knight wrote:
            > One thing this bike does have is a wheelbase closer to that of a regular
            > bike. An impediment for a lot of folks I talk to about my FreeRad
            > converted bike is simply lack of space to store it.
            >
            > Needs fenders.
          • Rich
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
              I emailed the designer and in his reply he indicated the pictured bike is a prototype. He is looking for a manufacturer for it. I hope that he does not run into the NIH (Not invented here) syndrome but suspect that he may.

              BTW CL I agree with you but would extend the fenders bit to all bikes except racing ones. I would also like to see requirements for stock lighting to be included with all except competition bicycles. After all it is in Germany and in the USA all other vehicles that are used on public roads in accordance with traffic laws are required to have lights. Why not bicycles? It might reduce the number of bike ninjas ;-)

              Rich Wood

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

              > All those baskets give the bike a wide profile. I can see it taking up
              > as much width as the x takes up length.
              >
              > CL
              > who thinks all work bikes need fenders.
              >
              > Sam Knight wrote:
              > > One thing this bike does have is a wheelbase closer to that of a regular
              > > bike. An impediment for a lot of folks I talk to about my FreeRad
              > > converted bike is simply lack of space to store it.
              > >
              > > Needs fenders.

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
                Rich,

                I was going to say all bikes, but then started thinking of too many
                exceptions to make the remark pithy. Yeah, they all need lighting, too.

                CL
                who sees a lot of CD reflectors here in Taiwan.

                Rich wrote:
                > I emailed the designer and in his reply he indicated the pictured bike is a prototype. He is looking for a manufacturer for it. I hope that he does not run into the NIH (Not invented here) syndrome but suspect that he may.
                >
                > BTW CL I agree with you but would extend the fenders bit to all bikes except racing ones. I would also like to see requirements for stock lighting to be included with all except competition bicycles. After all it is in Germany and in the USA all other vehicles that are used on public roads in accordance with traffic laws are required to have lights. Why not bicycles? It might reduce the number of bike ninjas ;-)
                >
                > Rich Wood
                >
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:
                >> All those baskets give the bike a wide profile. I can see it taking up
                >> as much width as the x takes up length.
                >>
                >> CL
                >> who thinks all work bikes need fenders.
                >>
                >> Sam Knight wrote:
                >>> One thing this bike does have is a wheelbase closer to that of a regular
                >>> bike. An impediment for a lot of folks I talk to about my FreeRad
                >>> converted bike is simply lack of space to store it.
                >>>
                >>> Needs fenders.

                Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

                Taichung County 43499
                Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484