sharing a great costumer service experience

  • fred
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
      After 2.5 years of daily commute and carrying my children on a converted '97 gary fisher with a FR I had the saddest day of my recent biking life. The FR baseframe showed a spontaneous fracture behind the wheel attachment. I just noticed that by a grinding sound of metal-against-metal since the free ends resulting from breaking rubbed each other. When I got home after walking 5 miles and removed the freeloaders I noticed both sides had broken.
      I then emailed the guys @ xtracycle and told them my sad story. Not 15 min passed by and Nate replied to my email saying they'd send me a replacement as soon as I logged into their online store and pseudo-purchased a baseframe, selecting check or money order (for them to zero out the invoice).
      I had always heard about their great costumer support. I have always had nice experiences purchasing stuff and calling them on the phone to discuss products. Anyway, I couldn't believe how easy and fast it was to receive feedback and solving my problem.
      I want to let you guys @xtracycle know I'll continue spreading the word of how happy I am with my life since I installed my FR and how satisfied I am.
      One final note: I just hope the baseframe gets to me safe and sound in Brazil since the mail service down is not always easy and effective...
      I'll let you know how it goes in the (hopefully near) future.
      Fred
    • Rick Pickett

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
          Fred,

          Thanks for the inspiration. I meant to share a recent, equally good customer service experience regarding Xtracycle. Namely:

          A little over two months ago, I purchased a 2010 22" Big Dummy via Xtracycle. It arrived and I found that it required significantly more bike expertise than I possess in order to put it together and perhaps more importantly, FedEx had managed to damage the frame's seat tube, making it extremely difficult to get the seat in without attempting to cold-shape the tube back to its original form.

          When I contacted Xtracycle, I found that there were no more 22" 2010 Big Dummies to be found for love or money and it was either make do with the one I had (I found it difficult, in principle, to allow FedEx to get away with damaging a brand-new product) or wait for a 2011 B.D. frame, which wouldn't be out for many months.

          In nearly every respect - including as a father who wanted to take his daughter to her first day of school on the back of the B.D. and a consumer who had just spent hard-earned cash on an exciting new bike - I was unhappy. Enter my conversations with Xtracycle (Rick Pickett and more frequently, Nate Byerley).

          It's not that they were able to make all of the issues go away or made the situation perfect. But as a small business owner, I'm aware of the fact, that 'perfect' is not always possible. There are elements (in this case: FedEx, the Surly supply chain, the demand for 2010 Big Dummies) that were out of their control. But in every instance, Nate and Rick were polite, professional, and proactive about doing what they could to make the situation better.

          That may seem like it's not much. But I can assure you that having purchased everything from doors to rack-mounted servers for my home and business, I am astounded by the frequent lack of even basic customer service instincts and/or training, regardless of the price off a particular item. In the case of Xtracycle, I will recommend them to anyone who will listen and hold up this recent experience as an example of how a company should react when dealing with a less-than-ideal situation and a customer experience that could easily have become very negative.

          Kudos to Xtracycle, Rick and Nate for promoting such a great product/products and acting with such integrity. Keep up the great work!

          Regards,
          Evan Lewis

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
            Fred,
            Great customer service from Xtracycle is nothing new either! I worked as
            a bike messenger in New York City for the better part of ten years before
            I moved to York, PA. I had an Xtracycle set up for about four of those
            last years I was still in NY, and I was the first messenger to use one in
            the city. Back then the Kick Back dual-foot center stand had not come out
            yet, so the kit came with a single kick stand. Unfortunately, with the
            amount of times I had to pull over to stop and write down job runs, the
            kick stands got its butt kicked. I ended up going through about two of
            them within two years time or something like that.
            Well, one day while working I get a call completely out of the blue on my
            cell phone. It was Kipchoge from Xtracycle and he was in NYC down in
            Washington Square Park about to have a bite to eat with some friends. He
            was “just” calling to ask if I was in the neighborhood, so we could
            finally meet. I was not too close, but shortly after I had some free time
            and asked my dispatcher if I could take a break for half an hour. That
            was something I never did, since I did not bother with lunch, but he was
            totally cool with it. I raced down to Washington Square Park and called
            Kipchoge on the way to lock down his exact location and let him know I
            could actually make it. When I got to the park it was obvious I would not
            have really needed extra directions to him because he and a buddy or two
            were on their Xtracycle rigs. We hung out for about fifteen minutes and
            out of no where Kipchoge handed me a non-descript paper bag or something.
            Inside were THREE kickstands.
            Kipchoge knew I had a third kickstand break on me, but I did not want
            them to bother sending me yet another. However, never-the-less he still
            gave me those three kickstands… without incurring the additional “cost”
            of shipping and fossil fuel usage on either of us. Xtracycle’s earth
            friendly philosophy and business practices is another things I really
            appreciated, but I never expected Xtracycle to give me three new kick
            stands. By the way, I went through all three of those kickstands over the
            next couple of years until the Kick Back finally came out. I still have
            at least one broken kick stand in case I want to do some kind of metal
            work with it.

            If you are not bored with that extremely terrific Xtracycle customer
            service story, I have another one regarding the same fracture on the
            FreeRadical, which you (Fred) seemed to have experienced. Keep in mind
            though, at the time I was a professional bike messenger and I most likely
            carried over 60 pounds behind the rear axle, which the Xtracycle manual
            specifically warns against. In any case, when I finally noticed both
            tubes had developed a crack behind the drop outs, I contacted Xtracycle
            about it. I expected to have to find an appropriately sized box, ship it
            out to Xtracycle at my expense, then wait at least two weeks for a
            replacement to get back to me, but that is not at all what happened. They
            knew I was a working bike messenger, so instead they simply shipped me a
            replacement immediately for free.
            For a week, all I did was remove the V-racks, freeloaders, and snap deck,
            etc… and worked on an oddly empty long-tail bike until the FreeRadical
            replacement arrived along with some free Xtracycle stickers thrown in. At
            that point I just swapped the new FreeRad onto my bike. The only catch
            was that I had to use the shipping box they sent me to ship back the
            broken FreeRadical for their research & development, product improvement,
            testing, etc…. but they provided me with the shipping label or whatever
            for it to be returned to them at their cost as well. I like the fact they
            made it more convenient for me to get back to working on a cargo bike in
            half the time I expected, and I also appreciate the fact they sent me a
            shipping box to re-use and reduce the possible waste generated while
            saving me the hassle of finding a big beefy box, but I really love
            Xtracycle for giving me complimentary return shipping. That is almost
            unheard of when dealing with retail returns.
            Did I mention that happened twice? The second time I developed a fracture
            behind the rear axle it only happened on the non-drive-chain side and I
            could see the possibility of it happening on the other tubing as well.
            Xtracycle hooked me up in the same way, AND if I recall correctly they
            asked me to also send back my ratty Free Loaders and beat up Snap Deck as
            well for more product improvement research. I honestly felt a bit bad
            about getting such awesome treatment, but they told me I was a great
            real-world product tester for them. They also told me at that time there
            had only been three people, who had their FreeRadical frames crack like
            mine. I was of course one of those people. The second person or people
            were the Ride-The-Spine crew, who tour off-road out-back style from the
            southern tip of South America to Alaska along the mountain ranges. The
            third person or people, who developed a FreeRadical fracture, were the
            folks at Xtracycle themselves during their own product testing. Therefore
            I was clearly pushing the limits, but everyone I communicated with at
            Xtracycle thought it was amusing.
            After riding on my THIRD FreeRadical extension, once again I developed
            the same fracture. This time I could never feel right about asking the
            folks at Xtracycle to replace it, so I did not tell them. Instead I
            braced it with half-pipe strips hose-clamped around the crack area. It
            was perfectly acceptable to me because I also knew Xtracycle was
            collaborating with Surly to come out with the Big Dummy, so I just had to
            wait about a year an a half. Actually, the Big Dummy came out 3-6 months
            before I upgraded, but due to finances I did not feel right about getting
            a new Big Dummy. By then I had already stopped bike messengering and
            moved to York, PA. It was only when my donor bike frame broke completely
            through at the welds between the down-tube and the steering tube that I
            was compelled to order a Big Dummy from Xtracycle.
            Considering I had something like 30,000 miles on that aluminum donor
            frame and put it through hell and back in all weather conditions with a
            frequently loaded Xtracycle extension, I was okay with my bike dying on
            me. I was extremely sad, but still okay. Even before that I named that
            bike “Boxer” after the symbolic proletariat horse in the book “Animal
            Farm,” who worked the hardest on the farm until he died and they went on
            to sell his remains to the glue factory. Considering I worked that bike
            to death and simply swapped all its components to my Big Dummy, the name
            is especially fitting. Now my Big Dummy is named “Rocinante” after the
            horse in the Don Quixote stories. The name literally means “One who is no
            longer a nag”. Nag referring to a cheap work horse. With the Big Dummy I
            will never have to worry about the fracture problem because it was
            designed specifically to compensate for heavier weights behind the rear
            axle.

            Enough said… ride safe all,
            _TONE_
          • Rich
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 30, 2010
              For users such as you while a bike messenger, with your failure experiences, is why I would like to see the ultra heavy duty and 29er compatible free radical that was shown as a prototype some time ago placed in production and made available.

              Xtracycle certainly sold out on 2010 Radishes quicker than expected it appears considering how long it is until the next batch are due. Not having product available to sell is not good for a company.

              Rich Wood

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <tone@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > frame and put it through hell and back in all weather conditions with a
              > frequently loaded Xtracycle extension, I was okay with my bike dying on
              > me. I was extremely sad, but still okay. Even before that I named that
              > bike "Boxer" after the symbolic proletariat horse in the book "Animal
              > Farm," who worked the hardest on the farm until he died and they went on
              > to sell his remains to the glue factory. Considering I worked that bike
              > to death and simply swapped all its components to my Big Dummy, the name
              > is especially fitting. Now my Big Dummy is named "Rocinante" after the
              > horse in the Don Quixote stories. The name literally means "One who is no
              > longer a nag". Nag referring to a cheap work horse. With the Big Dummy I
              > will never have to worry about the fracture problem because it was
              > designed specifically to compensate for heavier weights behind the rear

            • fred
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2010
                Just an update to my happy costumer case: the nice folks at xtracycle shipped my baseframe the next day after it broke down. They had to use FedEx since USPS apparently wouldn't take the package due to size. So far no cost to me (even FedEx being couple hundred dollars to my place in Sao Paulo, Brazil). It's already in the city but since it's a holiday no one works, even at FedEx :-)
                I can't describe how pleased and anxious I am waiting for my frame in order to get on riding again. It's gonna be early Christmas for me!
                Take care,
                Fred

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "fred" <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

                > After 2.5 years of daily commute and carrying my children on a converted '97 gary fisher with a FR I had the saddest day of my recent biking life. The FR baseframe showed a spontaneous fracture behind the wheel attachment. I just noticed that by a grinding sound of metal-against-metal since the free ends resulting from breaking rubbed each other. When I got home after walking 5 miles and removed the freeloaders I noticed both sides had broken.
                > I then emailed the guys @ xtracycle and told them my sad story. Not 15 min passed by and Nate replied to my email saying they'd send me a replacement as soon as I logged into their online store and pseudo-purchased a baseframe, selecting check or money order (for them to zero out the invoice).
                > I had always heard about their great costumer support. I have always had nice experiences purchasing stuff and calling them on the phone to discuss products. Anyway, I couldn't believe how easy and fast it was to receive feedback and solving my problem.
                > I want to let you guys @xtracycle know I'll continue spreading the word of how happy I am with my life since I installed my FR and how satisfied I am.
                > One final note: I just hope the baseframe gets to me safe and sound in Brazil since the mail service down is not always easy and effective...
                > I'll let you know how it goes in the (hopefully near) future.
                > Fred

              • fred
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2010
                  OK, so this is early Christmas for me indeed! I have just put my anxious fingers on a brand new replacement for my baseframe and will be riding again my beloved xtracycle in no time. It arrived less than a week after the original died, in Brazil, at zero cost to me.
                  Thanks XtraFolks for the best client support ever in history.
                  Fred

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "fred" <fredcostapinto@...> wrote:

                  > After 2.5 years of daily commute and carrying my children on a converted '97 gary fisher with a FR I had the saddest day of my recent biking life. The FR baseframe showed a spontaneous fracture behind the wheel attachment. I just noticed that by a grinding sound of metal-against-metal since the free ends resulting from breaking rubbed each other. When I got home after walking 5 miles and removed the freeloaders I noticed both sides had broken.
                  > I then emailed the guys @ xtracycle and told them my sad story. Not 15 min passed by and Nate replied to my email saying they'd send me a replacement as soon as I logged into their online store and pseudo-purchased a baseframe, selecting check or money order (for them to zero out the invoice).
                  > I had always heard about their great costumer support. I have always had nice experiences purchasing stuff and calling them on the phone to discuss products. Anyway, I couldn't believe how easy and fast it was to receive feedback and solving my problem.
                  > I want to let you guys @xtracycle know I'll continue spreading the word of how happy I am with my life since I installed my FR and how satisfied I am.
                  > One final note: I just hope the baseframe gets to me safe and sound in Brazil since the mail service down is not always easy and effective...
                  > I'll let you know how it goes in the (hopefully near) future.
                  > Fred

                • Rick
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2010
                    Thanks for doing your part to ride more and drive less, Fred and others.

                    "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard
                    Fone   |    888.537.1401 x 85