ANT Handmade commuter/ultilitarian/cargo bikes & racks

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2010
      I just found out about ANT (Alternative Needs Transportation) Bicycles
      out in Holliston, Massachusetts.
      http://www.antbikemike.com/
      It is basically a guy named Mike Flanigan, who hand makes primarily
      commuter-specific bicycles & racks, including a cargo bike model called
      the “Frontaloadontome.” All his bike models seem to look classically
      sweet to me. They are by no means cheap, but everything about them looks
      to be extremely well made and equipped.

      There is also an “about” page, which has a very long personal industry
      history about Mike, but something of particular amusing note is a
      “ticketing” campaign he was involved with…

      “I had been getting increasing disgusted with how many SUV’s were on the
      road and felt that America was really off track with what needed to be
      done in our daily lives. I had this idea of making a ticket that looked
      just like a Boston parking ticket [bright orange] that would have snarky
      statements and facts about SUV’s excessive fuel consumption listed on it
      that I could put on people’s trucks.”…
      “The plan was to incorporate the ticketing into the national ‘Bike to work
      week" festivities. I thought that this would have a greater affect on why
      people like us would do such a thing. I also wanted to do all of the
      ticketing at night so that in the morning people would see hundreds of
      trucks ticketed. I felt that it would have a greater affect, rather than
      standing on a street corner like a lunatic. Since the ticket looked like a
      parking ticket, people would actually look at it.”…
      “For three nights we ticketed about 10,000 trucks and got a lot of
      attention. We were hounded by all of the media outlets [eventually made
      the comic strip Doonesbury!] and had a good showing of support and
      defensive responses from the SUV drivers.”

      A roadie cyclist friend of mine sent me a link to ANT because he knows I
      ride a cargo bike and would appreciate ANT bicycles. I am simply passing
      the link along to our lovely RootsRadical cargo bike group to add yet
      another cargo bike maker to our ever-growing list and share the pleasure
      of lovingly built practical bicycles with everyone.

      Enjoy and ride safe,